Replace Roku box with ?

Bingie

4 hours ago, Bingie said:

Thanks.  I've searched both in the client on the tv, as well as the server gui.  I don't see any "preview" or "thumbnail" option at all anywhere.  I did change the skip ahead from 30 to 10 seconds though.

Hi.  Where did you look?

image.png

Bingie

Well, sadly, after testing several different media streaming client devices, only one of them has a very important feature:

VOLUME LEVELING

On the Roku, you turn on volume leveling, and ALL of your movies, tv shows, music videos, EVERYTHING, will play at roughly the same level.  Never have to touch the volume.  EVER.  I have gotten rather use to that, especially playing music on shuffle in the background all day long.  Sure, there are some slight differences between incredibly loud and incredibly low recorded volumes, but they all still play back roughly the same.  I'm shocked everyone doesn't provide this.

It seems Roku is the only device that offers this extremely appreciated feature.  Kodi doesn't.  Android doesn't.  What else is there for media clients?  An xbox maybe?

I'm profoundly disappointed that this decades old issue goes ignored by just about everyone.  I'm already tired of adjusting the volume every time I change the program.  I can't even shuffle music on anything besides the Roku, without the volume blaring too loud or too low.  It's stupid.  For this alone, I'll probably just stick with the roku, even though it has no channels dvr client (and never will), and some video playback has some limits too, but at least they work without constant meddling.

I sure hope I'm wrong about this.  I've searched.  No volume leveling on android.  Maybe kodi has an app I haven't found yet.

Bingie

The Amazon Fire TV is supposed to have volume leveling:

https://streamersworld.com/how-to-enable-volume-leveler-on-fire-tv/

I think I'll order one of those tomorrow and test it out.  It's android, can jail break it, replace the launcher with wolf (to get rid of annoying ads).  I'll try both the emby client and the channels dvr client.  Can even install kodi on it too.

NEXT! :P

That type of volume compression only works if you are giving up all features of most of the audio formats people want these days (Dolby Digital, DTS, Atmos, etc.).  Therefore, it isn't really very useful unless you are only using the TV speakers and everything is getting mixed down to stereo.  Some TVs have this feature and call it something like "Night mode".

Bingie
19 minutes ago, ebr said:

That type of volume compression only works if you are giving up all features of most of the audio formats people want these days (Dolby Digital, DTS, Atmos, etc.).  Therefore, it isn't really very useful unless you are only using the TV speakers and everything is getting mixed down to stereo.  Some TVs have this feature and call it something like "Night mode".

Yes, exactly that.

We try to keep the noise levels down, not disturb each other.  We mostly just use the tv speakers, we have sound bars, but don't always turn them on, and definitely turn them off at night.  I realize other people have rooms designed for surround sound, and want all of those features, which we obviously give up.  I'll keep researching this.

Thanks

Bingie

Hi all,

First, sorry for this long post... if you've made it this far into reading this thread, you might share some of my goals, concerns and challenges.

Okay, my quest for what I consider the "best streaming box" (for me anyways) continues.  There are so many options, and each has strengths and weaknesses.  I've learned (again) there is no such thing as a best box though, they all have trade offs.  It really depends on your priorities, and what you can live with.

My priorities are:

* ease of use (family members want simple, efficient, quick, "just works", so intuitive you don't have to memorize which button to use at which screen, etc.)

* no commercialization at all (no ads, constant upselling, constant urging to buy other services... if we don't have it, we don't want to see it)

* robust integration flexibility (we use emby for watching saved movies/shows/media, and channels dvr for live tv, expect fully functional)

* open source (or at least future flexibility to customize without having unwanted services shoved down our throats)

Here is what I've learned so far:

Unfortunately, the best OS's are closed source, and their owners are pushing harder for commercialization.  Amazon OS recently began releasing updates, preventing people from replacing their default launcher which spams you to death to try other paid services.  Android OS (owned by Google) doing the same, and devices like the nvidia shield which runs Android OS also trying to prevent you from replacing their launcher that spams you, and requires google account to access all services but records everything you do, etc.  Roku is closed source too, has restrictions for developers, and has added ads as well.  Apple TV is also closed source, requires monthly sub, extremely limited UI customization, and spams you to death.  However, these major players are wealthy, and enjoy official support from major content providers.  Even Emby and Channels DVR support the big OS's first, as they should.  No channels dvr client on roku due to it's coding restrictions.

There are also generic Android TV boxes on the market (Zidoo, Dune etc.), that can give the latest high performance hardware, but they run the open source fork of the Android OS, which lacks major features like access to the Google store, certification by major streaming providers, even playing Wildvine DRM content challenges.  These generic boxes don't enjoy official support from streaming service providers, and will forever be challenged to get addons working, just like Kodi.

Open source OS's like Kodi just don't have the industry support that the big OS's enjoy, and Kodi is openly frowned upon and even hated by some big business.  You can't get apps on kodi for many services, just addons that give limited functionality.  For example, there is no Emby Theater client for Kodi, but there are addons to give Kodi limited access to an Emby server.  There is also no Channels DVR app for Kodi, just an addon to give Kodi limited access to a channels dvr server.  This will always be a challenge, and will always lag behind the officially supported OS's.

To summarize, my priorities still appear to be unachievable.  If I want features to be complete and just work, I have to use a closed source platform, that constantly tries to upsell me to use services I don't have or want.  If I want flexibility and customization choices, I have to "make due with less", and trade features for flexibility and freedom from spam.

I'm tempted to try one of the generic android tv boxes next, but already know I'll likely encounter the same limitations that Kodi has.  Does the open source fork of Android OS even have a future?  I have my doubts.  I can see the industry turning against it, just like they've done with Kodi.

For now, I'm back to testing Kodi.  Can I live with the limited functionality?  Can I get it to "just work" easy enough for family members to use without complaint?  I don't know.

Thanks for reading

Bingie
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Success!

I found several thread posts that talk about lowering volume while increasing amplification in Kodi.  After fumbling around, I finally found it.  While actually playing any video content, go to settings, audio, then in that menu, there are options to adjust these variables, and from that menu, can apply the change to all playback videos.

So finally, I can watch something on Kodi that doesn't blast my ear drums one moment, then can't hear a thing the next :) so one down, a few more issues to go.

• Like 1

justinrh

The Shield does have a couple of volume-leveling controls in Audio settings.  I can't tell you how effective they are.

Bingie
13 hours ago, justinrh said:

The Shield does have a couple of volume-leveling controls in Audio settings.  I can't tell you how effective they are.

Thanks, I played around with all of the audio settings I could find on the Shield.  Even if I do get volume leveling working, I'll still probably return the shield.  I don't like the direction it and android os are going, I hate the interface, not just the ads, but all those apps on the main screen.  Ended up replacing the OS to an older version, replacing the launcher, creating a folder and moving all apps to it.  I shouldn't have to do all of that, and they are making it harder for people to customize and clean it up.  So rude.

Currently testing Kodi again, finally getting used to it.  I really like it.  Lots to learn, but once you do, so flexible, and performance is excellent.  Having fun with it.

mike3821
52 minutes ago, Bingie said:

Thanks, I played around with all of the audio settings I could find on the Shield.  Even if I do get volume leveling working, I'll still probably return the shield.  I don't like the direction it and android os are going, I hate the interface, not just the ads, but all those apps on the main screen.  Ended up replacing the OS to an older version, replacing the launcher, creating a folder and moving all apps to it.  I shouldn't have to do all of that, and they are making it harder for people to customize and clean it up.  So rude.

Currently testing Kodi again, finally getting used to it.  I really like it.  Lots to learn, but once you do, so flexible, and performance is excellent.  Having fun with it.

You could grab a tivo stream and do all the same things for quarter of the price.

22 hours ago, Bingie said:

I shouldn't have to do all of that, and they are making it harder for people to customize and clean it up.  So rude.

It isn't going to get better.  These companies are in business to make money.  Selling you hardware at incredibly cheap prices (once every few years) cannot sustain these businesses.  They make money with steady, recurring income and that comes from delivering content, placing ads, etc.  These devices are just vehicles for those revenue streams.  It isn't "rude".  It is the reason they exist.  If not for that, you wouldn't have the hardware.

Spaceboy
23 hours ago, Bingie said:

there's a home screen? my shield just boots direct into emby.

• Like 1

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

there's a home screen? my shield just boots direct into emby.

Ditto. 

On 2/23/2023 at 7:00 PM, GrimReaper said:

tbh can't remember when was the last time I've looked at Shield's Home Screen as I have it set-up to launch Emby on boot. 

Bingie
1 hour ago, ebr said:

It isn't going to get better.  These companies are in business to make money.  Selling you hardware at incredibly cheap prices (once every few years) cannot sustain these businesses.  They make money with steady, recurring income and that comes from delivering content, placing ads, etc.  These devices are just vehicles for those revenue streams.  It isn't "rude".  It is the reason they exist.  If not for that, you wouldn't have the hardware.

Yeah, I get that.  Their pre-made boxes will have to do, for people not interested in building their own.  Fortunately, for people willing, there are plenty of hardware and software options out there.  I guess I finally reached the point that it's worth it (for me) to put in the effort to build my own.

I'm finally getting used to Kodi, and love the freedom to choose my own hardware, OS, software, user interface, addons, remote, etc.

Right now, I'm using a mini-pc that is more powerful than any streaming box you can buy.  Faster cpu, faster/more memory/storage, etc.  Sure, it costs more than a pre-made streaming box, but to me it's future proof, should remain overpowered for years to come, and I can always retask it as a pc or server later.

As for LibreELEC/Kodi, I'm pretty happy with it.  I finally got everything working just the way I like, and now I'm experimenting and customizing.  I'm almost to the point of learning how to make a custom skin/interface, so I can get every screen exactly the way I want, move things around, add options, adjust fonts and colors, get the guide looking/behaving exactly how I like, etc.  The Embuary skin is excellent, I really like it, I just wish some things were a little different.  I'll start learning skins with that one.

I'm already using my custom kodi box full time now, don't use anything else anymore.  I may keep one of each of the pre-mades, to see how they evolve, and get ideas for my own interface.

I'm pretty happy with the RF remote I'm using, LibreELEC does a really good job recognizing remotes, I didn't have to reprogram anything, it works as expected.  I'm tempted to get one of the more fancy remotes out there, some are obnoxiously expensive, but there are a few really nice ones that are pretty cheap, but aren't RF, they are bluetooth, so I'll have to get that working, shouldn't be too hard to do.

This has been a very useful learning exercise.  I have learned a lot.  Hopefully others will benefit from some of the stuff in this thread.  I'm almost done.  Maybe I'll document my build once it's finished, before moving on to another project.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bingie said:

but to me it's future proof

Yeah, as long as  you are willing to constantly be tweaking, updating and debugging it :)

Where you have arrived now is where the HTPC industry started a couple decades ago.  It does provide for a very powerful and flexible solution but requires so much hand-holding and maintenance that it was never able to break into the mainstream.  WMC was Microsoft's attempt to do that and they learned that it just was never going to make it on a mass market scale so they dumped it and, with the increases in net bandwidth and other tech advances, the streaming industry and box was born.

So, as long as you are willing to do the work necessary to keep it all running, it is a very powerful solution.

• Haha 1

One2Go
19 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yeah, as long as  you are willing to constantly be tweaking, updating and debugging it :)

So, as long as you are willing to do the work necessary to keep it all running, it is a very powerful solution.

Very well put and now the HTPC generation is with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Life is just too short to futz and tweak with devices and software.

I haven't turned on my HTPC in months and you can tell the demise of that device when the last post in the forum about the WMC/EMC was made. I love the simplicity of the Roku integration and the quick playback as well as Emby's organization of my media collection.

Hopefully this solution for media playback will be around for awhile.

Bingie
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Where you have arrived now is where the HTPC industry started a couple decades ago.

I'm sorry for being so ignorant and behind the times.  Feel free to delete this whole thread.  I'm done with it.

15 minutes ago, Bingie said:

I'm sorry for being so ignorant and behind the times.  Feel free to delete this whole thread.  I'm done with it.

I apologize - my comment was not meant that way at all.  Where you are is a valid place for you if that is where you are most comfortable.  Still a lot of HTPCers out there - just not as many as there used to be.

• 3 weeks later...
One2Go

All this fiddling around trying to get rid of the adds if you wait long enough someone will find a way how to disable the Roku Ads.

The ads are actually just a setting here is how to keep you safe from unwanted UI ads.

1. Go to the Roku's Home Screen
  2. Press the Home Button 5 times.
  3. Press Up, Right, Down, Left, Up. This launches the hidden settings menu.
  4. Set Cycle scrollable ads to "Always Disabled."
  5. Set Cycle home screen ad banner server to "Demo 3."
  6. Turn off and on again (may require more than one power cycle to work).

For me I Restarted the Roku from the Systems menu and than unplugged the power connection and it worked. The ad that normally appears once you press the right arrow is no longer there and you can't even navigate to it.

You can go one step further and hide many other elements from the home screen by heading to settings > Home Screen, then choosing "Hide" next to each option you want to see. Thanks for the tip Redditor poop sniffer :lol:

• Like 1

Bingie
4 hours ago, One2Go said:

All this fiddling around trying to get rid of the adds if you wait long enough someone will find a way how to disable the Roku Ads.

The ads are actually just a setting here is how to keep you safe from unwanted UI ads.

1. Go to the Roku's Home Screen
  2. Press the Home Button 5 times.
  3. Press Up, Right, Down, Left, Up. This launches the hidden settings menu.
  4. Set Cycle scrollable ads to "Always Disabled."
  5. Set Cycle home screen ad banner server to "Demo 3."
  6. Turn off and on again (may require more than one power cycle to work).

For me I Restarted the Roku from the Systems menu and than unplugged the power connection and it worked. The ad that normally appears once you press the right arrow is no longer there and you can't even navigate to it.

You can go one step further and hide many other elements from the home screen by heading to settings > Home Screen, then choosing "Hide" next to each option you want to see. Thanks for the tip Redditor poop sniffer :lol:

Thanks, good info.

I'm long past this though, very happy running Kodi with the Emby addon, the Channels DVR addon, and the Embuary (emby skin).  Works fantastic, and on an Intel mini-pc, the speed is insanely fast.  Couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the instructions though, someone may need those.

• Like 1