Replace Roku box with ?

Bingie

Hi all,

I'm ready for a new project.  I have the time and resources.  I'd finally like to get rid of these damn roku boxes on my network.  If I try to block them accessing the Internet, they throw a temper tantrum and spam thousands of dns requests every day.  So immature.  I've gone from love roku to despise them.  I gave up, and stopped blocking their traffic.  Now, I get ads on our roku's, and the ads know what we've been watching.  Pisses me off.

So, replace roku box with what?  Just started looking around.  I'd like to replace the roku device with a mini pc running linux, that connects directly to the tv's hdmi, and just leave the tv to watch whatever comes in the hdmi port.

I'm old school linux head, debian of course, so maybe a mini pc running linux and kodi?  Use an emby app on kodi?  Just learning about those now, never tried kodi yet, but at first glance it looks like a good roku replacement.  I don't mind all of the technical setup, but in the end, I want a really easy to use interface that even my 83 year old mother can use without too much learning curve.

I already have emby server running on a standalone windows server on the network, so that part is done.  For now lol.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions!

Cheers

GrimReaper

I'm quite positive you'll get inputs from three schools of thought (actually 4, including die-hard Roku fans):

- Shield Pro aficionados (myself included) 

- Mini-PC with ET in TV mode 

- Mini-PC with Kodi as a front-end

As they all have their pros and cons, it'll come down mostly to your own preferences and inclinations, although IMHO you can hardly go wrong with either. 

ET?

Thanks, I'll start reading up on all of those.  Yeah, roku fans will justify roku has the right to spam me with ads, that's how they make most of their money blah blah blah :P

Buying a Shield Pro is certainly the easiest route to go, already built and tested.  Might buy one and start testing that.

I have two mini pc's i'm not using, so can start playing around with Emby Theater and Kodi too.

In the end, the ease of use by my mom will win the day.  Voice search on the Shield Pro will win her heart, she's lazy, often wants me to put something on, so I'll show her how to use that feature LOL.

GrimReaper

You can set Shield in "Apps only" mode so you won't see any of the recommendations. As you can install custom launchers as well. Though tbh can't remember when was the last time I've looked at Shield's Home Screen as I have it set-up to launch Emby on boot. 

• Thanks 1

Holy crap!  I just tried Emby Theater on my pc, it's basically the Emby client but not in a browser :)  I didn't know that.

So, I get one of those RF remote controllers, connect it to my pc, add the driver, and can watch emby just like it was on roku, except without the roku?  Very cool.

We are already used to emby client on roku, so switching my mom's tv to a mini pc running emby theater, to her anyways, is just a different remote controller now.  This sounds like the simplest option.  Lowest cost too, already have the mini pc, just need an rf remote!

I'm pretty sure the voice activated on this remote won't work with emby theater, but it would be cool if pressing the voice button could be programmed to switch to the emby search field... maybe some day?  :P

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Control-Wireless-Learning-Projector/dp/B09JSX4JLB/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=Kodi%2BRemote%2BControl&qid=1677193259&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A24046675011&rnid=24046607011&s=tv&sr=1-10&th=1

viking19
18 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

You can set Shield in "Apps only" mode so you won't see any of the recommendations. As you can install custom launchers as well. Though tbh can't remember when was the last time I've looked at Shield's Home Screen as I have it set-up to launch Emby on boot. 

Does voice search work in apps only mode on the Shield? On my Hisense (Google TV) it doesn't, custom launchers are certainly an option but also have downsides.

11 hours ago, Bingie said:

Emby for Kodi was really easy to setup too.  Learning Kodi now, never used that one.  I like it.

There is also Coreelec and LibraElec (depending on your devices) with the Emby addon. Use a custom skin with widgets and you have a more appliance like experience for the user, as simple or fancy as you like, further down the rabbit hole.

GrimReaper
14 minutes ago, viking19 said:

Does voice search work in apps only mode on the Shield?

Have no idea, I keep Voice search/mic disabled system-wide. Maybe @CBers or @Spaceboy might know. 

• Agree 1

SHSPVR
18 hours ago, Bingie said:

Holy crap!  I just tried Emby Theater on my pc, it's basically the Emby client but not in a browser :)  I didn't know that.

So, I get one of those RF remote controllers, connect it to my pc, add the driver, and can watch emby just like it was on roku, except without the roku?  Very cool.

We are already used to emby client on roku, so switching my mom's tv to a mini pc running emby theater, to her anyways, is just a different remote controller now.  This sounds like the simplest option.  Lowest cost too, already have the mini pc, just need an rf remote!

Unified Remote 3 server put on the client system unzip the place folder in C:\ProgramData\Unified Remote\Remotes\Custom\ and used your phone and Unified Remote app

Emby Theater.zip

Edited by SHSPVR

TeamB

if you like kodi you should have a look at libreelec

https://libreelec.tv/

it is a packaged os with all you need to run kodi. it runs on most hardware, i run it on a bunch of raspberry pi's i use for media players in my setup.

raspberry pi + libreelec + EmbyCon =  from unboxing to up and running in 5 minutes playing media

also look into cec, it allows you to control most media playback devices using your tv's remote, this is what i use with all my devices to control them.

Edited by TeamB

1 hour ago, TeamB said:

if you like kodi you should have a look at libreelec

https://libreelec.tv/

it is a packaged os with all you need to run kodi. it runs on most hardware, i run it on a bunch of raspberry pi's i use for media players in my setup.

raspberry pi + libreelec + EmbyCon =  from unboxing to up and running in 5 minutes playing media

also look into cec, it allows you to control most media playback devices using your tv's remote, this is what i use with all my devices to control them.

Thanks, I have been reading up on libreelec, it looks great.  Watched a few youtube videos on it.  I'm definitely going to try it.  I ordered an RF remote, when it gets here tomorrow, I'll install libreelec on a minipc.  Looking forward to it :)

justinrh
On 2/23/2023 at 3:52 PM, Bingie said:

Shield Pro has ads you can't get rid of?

The only non-app ads I see are on the home screen, which is just a few spotlight movie service ads.

13 minutes ago, justinrh said:

The only non-app ads I see are on the home screen, which is just a few spotlight movie service ads.

Sure, today.  Tomorrow, they could add ads in between every single icon, like amazon fire does.

I refuse to be locked in to a vendor doing whatever they want, that's why I'm getting rid of our roku's, and probably will never try the shield for the same reason.  Emby Theater and Kodi/Emby are looking better and better.

viking19
1 hour ago, Bingie said:

Thanks, I have been reading up on libreelec, it looks great.  Watched a few youtube videos on it.  I'm definitely going to try it.  I ordered an RF remote, when it gets here tomorrow, I'll install libreelec on a minipc.  Looking forward to it :)

If you're going the LibreElec route be sure to look at the differences between Emby for Kodi and EmbyCon addons.

2 hours ago, viking19 said:

If you're going the LibreElec route be sure to look at the differences between Emby for Kodi and EmbyCon addons.

Thanks, I have no idea yet, so will probably try both.

As for hardware, I found this interesting thread over on the kodi forums:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=340809

The Odroid N2+ is the "Rolls Royce" of media centers, as one user puts it.  This looks like a good investment.  I might start with one of those.

3 hours ago, Bingie said:

Sure, today.  Tomorrow, they could add ads in between every single icon, like amazon fire does.

I refuse to be locked in to a vendor doing whatever they want, that's why I'm getting rid of our roku's, and probably will never try the shield for the same reason.  Emby Theater and Kodi/Emby are looking better and better.

I am running a Roku Ultra box with a few streaming service channels/apps installed and of course the Emby client. In addition I have a Win 7 Intel NUC which runs the EMC client. Both devices serve me well in my home theater but I am using the Roku with the Emby client far more for content playback then the Intel NUC.

I read this thread out of curiosity as to what the object was. However I really don't get why the accessing of the Net should be such an obstacle and as far as adds are concerned I only see the one on the home screen next to the different channel tiles and that really doesn't bother me because, after pressing the home button no adds yet, I press the right arrow once now the one add next to the channels, then I press OK on the Emby tile and I am in the Emby home screen. For me seeing that one add which changes randomly for a few seconds, is not enough of a bother to change the infra structure of my network devices, but I get it that sometimes there is the itch to embark on a new project.

As you already deducted the device manufacturers will milk businesses for their money if they can deliver eyeballs, it is just the world we live in and for me the objective is to minimize that to the point that it is not bothersome. On my PCs I do run blockers and a VPN to minimize my exposure. But if you want to embark on a new challenge I wish you success and all the best. However, short of using a Linux box with Emby on it and no add streaming services, which I do have, you will encounter advertisements. Companies pay mega bucks to data analysts to decipher what your viewing habits are, because it is a source of income for those companies.

I don't advocate this, but because I hate wasting part of my life watching stupid commercials I get most of my content stripped of all advertisements from P2P trackers or Usenet.

Edited by One2Go

I have family members that click on the ad, then complain they can't watch the show they were looking for.  Stupid, yes.  Annoying, very.  It just irks me that they can do whatever they want.  Today, it's just the ad on the main page.  Tomorrow, they could make it worse.  Who's to stop them?

I guess I'll be happier running something open source that I never have to worry about spamming me with ads.

• Agree 1

I don't have a shield, but I've been reading forum threads and reviews, something about unwanted ads or messages on the home page?  I ditched our amazon fire sticks because of all the ads they mix in with normal viewing icons.  The roku only has the one ad on the main home page, but that's for now.  They could easily ad more in the future, and they probably will.

I don't want any unwanted messages, which is why I'm going for an open source solution, like emby and kodi/emby.  I don't want to be locked into a vendor's closed interface anymore.

I don't even want windows anymore, so libreelec vs coreelec vs osmc will try all of those.

william-wallace-freedom-gif.gif