Title sorting problem

wordlover

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, wordlover said:

Why is Emby not creating new .nfo files? I moved the whole folder out of the Music Library directory, rescanned, moved back in, rescanned again. No NFO files are created, at any level.

Scanned the library or Full scan?

Just now, wordlover said:

What do you mean "edit an album"?

Select edit metadata on album

Happy2Play
Just now, Luke said:

It only creates them when there is some new information from the internet to warrant it. If there was no internet metadata obtained, then there's no point.

But this is not really important to the issue of the sorting, and in fact, it's simpler to troubleshoot that without having nfo's.

But the only way to see the Rogue SortTitle causing the issue.

image.png.76d252e7c349d85e0a1311f162ee1854.png

<title>CD25 - Schumann, Chopin - Concertos</title>
  <year>2017</year>
  <sorttitle>111 Years Of Deutsche Grammophon | The Collector's Edition</sorttitle>
  <runtime>61</runtime>
  <genre>Classical</genre>
  <studio>Deutsche Grammophon</studio>
  <uniqueid type="discogsrelease">2070889</uniqueid>
  <discogsreleaseid>2070889</discogsreleaseid>

musicbrainz puts all of these together as a single album with mulitple discs: https://musicbrainz.org/release/5e81a79c-f5f4-4ac3-b8e3-3e667f89f516

You're now doing the opposite, so you can't expect to get any internet metadata when doing that. In fact, going against musicbrainz may require you to disable internet metadata on the library altogether. 

If somehow it does obtain internet metadata at some point, the albums will all end up with the same musicbrainz id, and they could end up getting merged back together.

1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

But the only way to see the Rogue SortTitle causing the issue.

<year>2017</year>
  <sorttitle>111 Years Of Deutsche Grammophon | The Collector's Edition</sorttitle>
  <runtime>61</runtime>
  <genre>Classical</genre>

In terms of sorting, what's in the database is more important than what's in the nfo.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

In terms of sorting, what's in the database is more important than what's in the nfo.

True but that cause it to be first item instead of 25 creating a sort issue.  

image.png

The UI shows correct but does not sort correct in this example.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Just now, Happy2Play said:

Ture but that cause it to be first item instead of 25 creating a sort issue.  

image.png

What are we looking at on that screen? Folders, albums, or tracks?

Happy2Play
Just now, Luke said:

All albums via Artist-Album header ie See All

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

image.png.b74c21405a572133f253f4a5f0741ac2.png

3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

True but that cause it to be first item instead of 25 creating a sort issue.  

image.png

So then on that screen, try right clicking some of them, edit metadata, and see what the sort title is. that should give us our answer.

Happy2Play

Just now, Luke said:

So then on that screen, try right clicking some of them, edit metadata, and see what the sort title is. that should give us our answer.

No already shown.

<year>2017</year>
  <runtime>61</runtime>
  <genre>Classical</genre>

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

No already shown.

<year>2017</year>
  <runtime>61</runtime>
  <genre>Classical</genre>

Right but sorting is relative compared to the others, so you need to look at more of them.

Happy2Play
Just now, Luke said:

Right but sorting is relative compared to the others, so you need to look at more of them.

Correct in folder view, wrong in see all album view.

But did not see issue in 4.8 so don't know what changes.

Change all folders to actual albums minus CDxx corrects the issue also.  Did not do any retagging.

image.png.4060007592244d4a9a3b9514cc08651e.png

Still working on other folders but not seeing any issue so far so it comes back to the CD naming, but since I have providers on possibly a mix.

Happy2Play

But of course after changing folder names it is impossible to compare folder view to Album view.

2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Correct in folder view, wrong in see all album view.

But did not see issue in 4.8 so don't know what changes.

Change all folders to actual albums minus CDxx corrects the issue also.  Did not do any retagging.

image.png.4060007592244d4a9a3b9514cc08651e.png

Still working on other folders but not seeing any issue so far so it comes back to the CD naming, but since I have providers on possibly a mix.

OK so if we're all good in 4.8 then I don't think there's much more to troubleshoot. Something must have gotten fixed along the way.

Happy2Play

@wordloverhave you tried manually copying the title to sorttitle even if it looks correct to see if it corrects your sort order for your problem items?

wordlover
15 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@wordloverhave you tried manually copying the title to sorttitle even if it looks correct to see if it corrects your sort order for your problem items?

It did not make a difference. @Luke how soon is 4.8 expected, if this fixes the problem? Or what steps do you recommend now to address this?

5 minutes ago, wordlover said:

It did not make a difference. @Luke how soon is 4.8 expected, if this fixes the problem? Or what steps do you recommend now to address this?

I don't have an ETA, but we are working hard on it.

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, wordlover said:

Or what steps do you recommend now to address this?

My easiest fix was dropping CD. All embedded tags still have CDxx - albumname.

Artist-Album-Tracks

image.thumb.png.328b8749b05f0d3e980fd791beb33803.png

Will do some testing with using the same name folder as you did but can potentially see issues there.

wordlover

Oho, I spoke too soon! New information: if I manually copy-and-paste an album's Title into SortTitle in Emby's "edit Metadata" screen, save, and then rescan the whole library, the album sort problem IS fixed. But then when I test it by renaming and rescanning the whole directory, sort is broken again. So it seems Emby is creating an incorrect SortTitle for Albums upon initial scan. 

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, wordlover said:

Oho, I spoke too soon! New information: if I manually copy-and-paste an album's Title into SortTitle in Emby's "edit Metadata" screen, save, and then rescan the whole library, the album sort problem IS fixed. But then when I test it by renaming and rescanning the whole directory, sort is broken again. So it seems Emby is creating an incorrect SortTitle for Albums upon initial scan. 

That is sort of the glitch I see with CD25 but I am also getting Discogs providerid.  Probably should test with no providers as a guess would not see any issues from a read only standpoint.

wordlover
3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

That is sort of the glitch I see with CD25 but I am also getting Discogs providerid.  Probably should test with no providers as a guess would not see any issues from a read only standpoint.

I didn't do a new lookup of metadata, just scanned for new content to add to library.

• 4 weeks later...
wordlover
On 2/15/2023 at 11:47 AM, Luke said:

Where is Emby getting Album 'sorttitle'? On a different multi-album set, in Emby's Edit Metadata screens I see each album's "Title" correctly matches what was set in MP3Tag, but Emby lists a different album name for "Sort Title". What is the specific mp3 metatag Emby is grabbing?

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, wordlover said:

Where is Emby getting Album 'sorttitle'? On a different multi-album set, in Emby's Edit Metadata screens I see each album's "Title" correctly matches what was set in MP3Tag, but Emby lists a different album name for "Sort Title". What is the specific mp3 metatag Emby is grabbing?

It isn't using any embedded tag for this is will utilize a generated one per Title or in rogues causes something Discogs provides as it can be different then Title (primarily people depending on provider order).

But specific examples would be needed.

Edited by Happy2Play

wordlover
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

It isn't using any embedded tag for this is will utilize a generated one per Title or in rogues causes something Discogs provides as it can be different then Title.

But specific examples would be needed.

Ah, it's the discogs thing again - gotcha.