Title sorting problem

wordlover

Just now, Happy2Play said:

What is in that album.nfo as Emby sort of sees all cds as The Complete Recording and will save nfos wrong.

I think the issue is, the tagging makes all the albums unique and therefore 26 different albums, but he's got them organized as if they were 26 discs of a single album. So ultimately, you need to pick one or the other.

wordlover

Gotcha - thanks - I will pull those 26 disc folders all up one level and rescan, when I am back to the server computer, and report back.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, wordlover said:

Gotcha - thanks - I will pull those 26 disc folders all up one level and rescan, when I am back to the server computer, and report back.

But would think you would run into the same issue I did.  I would think you need an album layer (like 2Pac example) for each CD but could be wrong.

Artist

• Album
    • CDXX
      • tracks
Edited by Happy2Play

4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But would think you would run into the same issue I did.  I would think you need an album layer (like 2Pac example) for each CD but could be wrong.

Artist

• Album
    • CDXX
      • tracks

I think the album tag of his tracks all contain the disc number, and this is what makes them separate albums, so that's why he's moving them up a level.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Luke said:

I think the album tag of his tracks all contain the disc number, and this is what makes them separate albums, so that's why he's moving them up a level.

Correct all albums are tagged as individual album to break them out of a single release.  Wanting 26 albums instead of 1 per provider group.  If they were tagged by Musicbrainz it would be 1 album showing multiple discs.

Release group “The Complete EMI Recordings” by Mstislav Rostropovich - MusicBrainz

But know beta does not experience the quirks seen in current release.

wordlover

This is one of the Emby UI questions I have never been able to settle for myself: how to take a big box set and have the ability to play just Disc "X". I have a different box set that's tagged and grouped and stored as one big album, but one can only START playback at the beginning of Disc X, without the ability to have Emby stop at the end of just that one disc.

• Agree 1

wordlover

Sorry, gang - this is just broken. Here's what I did:

1. Deleted any .nfo files in the whole Rostropovich directory tree
  2. Moved each CD directory to the top Rostropovich folder level and renamed each file directory to unique names: "Complete EMI Recordings CD 01," "Complete EMI Recordings CD 02," etc. (see middle image below)
  3. In MP3Tag I removed all "Disc #" and replaced so all files are "Disc 1" (see bottom image below) since they are each now independent albums.
  4. Moved the entire Rostropovich folder out of Emby music library directory entirely and rescanned and restarted Emby
  5. Renamed and moved the entire Rostropovich folder back into Emby music library directory and rescanned

But now, here's what I see (top image below) - even worse sorting, and no generation of any .nfo files although Music library is set to create them for metadata. Emby is not working properly. How can this be fixed? Or when is 4.8 going live, since @Happy2Play says for some reason it isn't having these problems?

emby07.png

emby06.png

emby08.png

Edited by wordlover

52 minutes ago, wordlover said:

Sorry, gang - this is just broken. Here's what I did:

1. Deleted any .nfo files in the whole Rostropovich directory tree
  2. Moved each CD directory to the top Rostropovich folder level and renamed each file directory to unique names: "Complete EMI Recordings CD 01," "Complete EMI Recordings CD 02," etc. (see middle image below)
  3. In MP3Tag I removed all "Disc #" and replaced so all files are "Disc 1" (see bottom image below) since they are each now independent albums.
  4. Moved the entire Rostropovich folder out of Emby music library directory entirely and rescanned and restarted Emby
  5. Renamed and moved the entire Rostropovich folder back into Emby music library directory and rescanned

But now, here's what I see (top image below) - even worse sorting, and no generation of any .nfo files although Music library is set to create them for metadata. Emby is not working properly. How can this be fixed? Or when is 4.8 going live, since @Happy2Play says for some reason it isn't having these problems?

emby07.png

emby06.png

emby08.png

What screen is that? Are we looking at tracks, folders, or albums? What sort order is set?

wordlover
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

What screen is that? Are we looking at tracks, folders, or albums? What sort order is set?

It's the 'see all' Albums screen, sorted by title.

2 minutes ago, wordlover said:

It's the 'see all' Albums screen, sorted by title.

Where did you get there from? Does each album have it's own album.nfo file now?

Happy2Play

Mixing embedded Album name and folder name still cause nfo to be written at wrong level. Actually that was a different folder so the one I tested with actually wrote at a different level. 

What is in your Album.nfo?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<album>
  <review />
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2023-02-14 17:56:16</dateadded>
  <title>CD25 - Schumann, Chopin - Concertos</title>
  <year>2017</year>
  <sorttitle>CD25 - Schumann, Chopin - Concertos</sorttitle>
  <runtime>61</runtime>
  <genre>Classical</genre>
  <studio>Deutsche Grammophon</studio>
  <uniqueid type="discogsrelease">2070889</uniqueid>
  <discogsreleaseid>2070889</discogsreleaseid>
  <artist>Martha Argerich</artist>
  <artist>National Symphony Orchestra Washington</artist>
  <artist>Mstislav Rostropovich</artist>
  <albumartist>Mstislav Rostropovich</albumartist>
</album>

Took longer than I expected so working on the 4 layers for all media right now to retest.

Artist

• Album (Regular Name)
    • CDXX
      • tracks

Edited by Happy2Play
edits

wordlover

This is what I am telling you. After doing ALL the things listed above, and doing a full rescan and a refresh metadata to look for missing data, Emby is not generating any .nfo fles, not in the top directory (Rostropovich) nor in any of the subdirectories for individual albums. 

Because this multi-CD set is filled with wildly varied material, I just want to be able to play (for example) Disc 9 without it continuing to play Disc 10-26 afterward. Why is this so hard for Emby?!

emby09.png

Edited by wordlover

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, wordlover said:

This is what I am telling you. After doing ALL the things listed above, and doing a full rescan and a refresh metadata to look for missing data, Emby is not generating any .nfo fles, not in the top directory (Rostropovich) nor in any of the subdirectories for individual albums. 

Because this multi-CD set is filled with wildly varied material, I just want to be able to play (for example) Disc 9 without it continuing to play Disc 10-26 afterward. Why is this so hard for Emby?!

emby09.png

Seeing the same and had to edit metadata and hit save or nuke the folder, full scan to clear the database and readd.  NFO files are only written not currently read at all.

Quick test with my additional folder corrected the issue as it worked to the correct layer and did not change sort title eventhough it got rogue discogsid.

Corrected issue with 25, 28, 29 30.

image.png.f61ee4800c9365fc4a4a4010ba7dc5a3.png

image.thumb.png.58e08c3088c00c787f56953182116dfa.png

Edited by Happy2Play

wordlover

Sorry I don't mean to be rude, I don't understand your language - what are you saying? Are you recommending I do something to fix this?

Edited by wordlover

wordlover

And the larger issue is that I don't want to have a single album name - the individual disc titles are essential in a collection like this, and Emby won't display each of them in the album listing page unless each disc is imported to Emby as an individual album.

6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Seeing the same and had to edit metadata and hit save or nuke the folder, full scan to clear the database and readd.  NFO files are only written not currently read at all.

Quick test with my additional folder corrected the issue as it worked to the correct layer and did not change sort title eventhough it got rogue discogsid.

Corrected issue with 25, 28, 29 30.

image.png.f61ee4800c9365fc4a4a4010ba7dc5a3.png

image.thumb.png.58e08c3088c00c787f56953182116dfa.png

By prefixing each folder with CDXX, it's still going to be parsed as multiple discs of a single album. That's why you end up getting an album.nfo file above the CD30 folder and not directly within it.

wordlover

I am NOT prefixing with CDXX - it is "Complete EMI Recordings CD XX" at the end. And no nfo being created.

emby10.png

Edited by wordlover

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Luke said:

By prefixing each folder with CDXX, it's still going to be parsed as multiple discs of a single album. That's why you end up getting an album.nfo file above the CD30 folder and not directly within it.

Will test some more but removing the CDXX from folder require removal from embedded Album name also.

1 minute ago, wordlover said:

I am NOT prefixing with CDXX - it is "Complete EMI Recordings CD XX" at the end. And there IS NO NFO FILE BEING CREATED. Sorry to shout, but I am being clear above. Please read what I am reporting.

I was responding to happy2play because his test did not match yours.

• Like 1

Just now, Happy2Play said:

Will test some more but removing the CDXX from folder require removal from embedded Album name also.

No it doesn't. the album tag doesn't need to match the album folder name.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

I am NOT prefixing with CDXX - it is "Complete EMI Recordings CD XX" at the end. And there IS NO NFO FILE BEING CREATED. Sorry to shout, but I am being clear above. Please read what I am reporting.

And if you edit a album and hit save what happens?  If no then may need the server log as it should show saving album.nfo.

But can say I do not see saving on Beta but stopped testing as there was no issue in 4.8.

wordlover

Why is Emby not creating new .nfo files? I moved the whole folder out of the Music Library directory, rescanned, moved back in, rescanned again. No NFO files are created, at any level.

wordlover
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

And if you edit a album and hit save what happens?  If no then may need the server log as it should show saving album.nfo.

But can say I do not see saving on Beta but stopped testing as there was no issue in 4.8.

What do you mean "edit an album"?

Why is Emby not creating new .nfo files? I moved the whole folder out of the Music Library directory, rescanned, moved back in, rescanned again. No NFO files are created, at any level.

It only creates them when there is some new information from the internet to warrant it. If there was no internet metadata obtained, then there's no point.

But this is not really important to the issue of the sorting, and in fact, it's simpler to troubleshoot that without having nfo's.