music: sort albums by date added: album cover will showup with delay

plessers@gmail.com
Go to solution Solved by quickmic,

plessers@gmail.com

OOPS.

To early victory.
The first time I displayed the albums-by-date-added-descending, view was OK
However, going to "previous view" and back to "albums-by-date-added-descending" --> same issue ...

plessers@gmail.com

FYI

I also noticed that the sortorder "date added" is not the problem.
If you just show the albums in descending (alphabetical) order, the cover art will also show up very slowly, same problem here.

Also something to mention: once the cover arts are "loaded", you can easily switch from view, without any delay anymore.

Here again a screenshot movie

You have to wait until second 15 before the cover art shows up. If you look carefully, coverart starts showing up from bottom right to upper left. So indeed in increasing alphabetical order
Than I change some views, everything works smooth now
At the end, I go back to the previous menu, and select albums again. It takes again 15 seconds before everything is loaded

quickmic
20 minutes ago, plessers@gmail.com said:

FYI

I also noticed that the sortorder "date added" is not the problem.
If you just show the albums in descending (alphabetical) order, the cover art will also show up very slowly, same problem here.

Also something to mention: once the cover arts are "loaded", you can easily switch from view, without any delay anymore.

Here again a screenshot movie

You have to wait until second 15 before the cover art shows up. If you look carefully, coverart starts showing up from bottom right to upper left. So indeed in increasing alphabetical order
Than I change some views, everything works smooth now
At the end, I go back to the previous menu, and select albums again. It takes again 15 seconds before everything is loaded

All this still indicates the Kodi issue I mentioned in one of the previous postings and seems not be a plugin issue. Currently I have no idea how to improve something.

You are using a Kodi node and as the artwork is cached at this point (also by Kodi), Kodi has fully control.

Changing the sort order inside the view is fast yes (also Kodi). Reloading the same view is slow (also Kodi). I know all those limitations but they are not related to the plugin.

Kodi has main issues loading large lists.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213179

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213737

As mentioned, I don't think this issue will never been solved and my Kodi patches were ignored.

Only option, limit the view size. Let me know if you have any indication if the plugin has any impact on performance under same circumstances (important, SAME circumstances).

I think the last version I posted fixed the "init" artwork load delay, but once the artwork is cached (by Kodi or plugin), the plugin is out of control and Kodi's internal functions took over.

Edited by quickmic

plessers@gmail.com

Well, maybe just one other thing: I have also running Plex Media Server pointing to the same media files
Running the PKC addon (Plex Kodi Connect) gives next result: no delay at all...

So in my humble opinion:

-  KODI with direct index --> no problem
- KODI + PlexKodiConnect addon --> no problem
- KODI + Emby-Next-Gen addon --> issues

I'm not saying that the emby-next-gen is the problem, but at least the combination of this specific addon with kodi does not work alway properly...

quickmic
16 minutes ago, plessers@gmail.com said:

Well, maybe just one other thing: I have also running Plex Media Server pointing to the same media files
Running the PKC addon (Plex Kodi Connect) gives next result: no delay at all...

So in my humble opinion:

-  KODI with direct index --> no problem
- KODI + PlexKodiConnect addon --> no problem
- KODI + Emby-Next-Gen addon --> issues

I'm not saying that the emby-next-gen is the problem, but at least the combination of this specific addon with kodi does not work alway properly...

Yes but I'm quite sure these are not the same circumstances. Only a detailed review could give insights. e.g. you could try comparing mymusic.db databases.

Just using the same content is, at this point, no longer good enough for a valid test.

e.g. Scraper information are for sure different in each scenario and the artwork delay could be just a side effect.

Also, as already mentioned, have you checked the artwork size. This can make a big difference if you are loading an image with 80kb or 4mb (2604 times).

Even if you use the same artwork (with both plugins) doesn't mean the artwork is not compressed and therefore much smaller.

btw, next-gen plugin has the capability to compress artwork, but off by default.

Edited by quickmic

plessers@gmail.com

Yes but I'm quite sure these are not the same circumstances

Of course not. 

But I’m just saying Kod IS capable to show the covers properly, so it’s definitly not a Kodi issue or a largelust issue. It’s ‘only’ 2600 items. Coverart in my case is small: max 600x600 pxl, around 80kb. It works with Kodi stock, it works with Kodi and plexkodiconnect (which is based on emby-connect according to their website!).
It just doesn’t work with emby-connect.

So I think its reasonable to conclude the there is at least a problem there. Maybe with (lack of) indexes on the emby-connect-db, maybe with the SQL query’s against the db, maybe with a bad implemented webservice on emby server, maybe something else, I don’t know.

But can we at least agree that there is an issue with emby connect. Recognizing that there is a problem is the very first step to finding a solution. I’m willing to test anything you want to make this product better because I love it.

quickmic
9 hours ago, plessers@gmail.com said:

But can we at least agree that there is an issue with emby connect.

Emby connect is an authentication method. I'm performing additional tests, nut actually not sure where to start. There is no pattern.

Edited by quickmic

plessers@gmail.com

BINGO!!!

DB.zip

I already had the intention to send you my db's. You can find them attached.
So my tests:

• fresh instance of KODI
  • than connected to "all" of my content (music/movies/series) with several methods
  • I deleted local config every time I canged connection method

Methods:

• Kodi.19.5.all.emby-next-gen.7.13.5 --> emby-next-gen addon
  • Kodi.19.5.all.emby-next-gen.7.15.1 --> emby-next-gen addon
  • Kodi.19.5.all.plex-kodi-connect.3.6.14 --> plex-kodi-connect addon
  • Kodi.19.5.all.T-drive --> created a local music library within KODI, pointing to my T-drive

With the latest addon you provided, I don't have any problems anymore!!!!

Here a sneak preview of user experience with your latest addon

This evening I will try this on my OpenElec box.

Exited!!!

Edited by plessers@gmail.com
  • Like 1

quickmic

Keep in mind this is still an experimental version. btw, the actual issue was not directly related to the artwork. This seems just to be a side effect of an database index issue.

plessers@gmail.com

Keep in mind this is still an experimental version

No worries. I'll give your phone number to my wife if things go wrong 🙂

• Haha 1

plessers@gmail.com

, Fyi: everything works fine now, also on a rpi4 with OpenElec.

thanx again for your effort!

grtz

b

• Like 1

quickmic
6 minutes ago, plessers@gmail.com said:

, Fyi: everything works fine now, also on a rpi4 with OpenElec.

thanx again for your effort!

grtz

b

fyi, 7.15.1 still has (confirmed) issues, not related to the album loading. Anyway, keep in mind it's still just an experimental version, not even qualified to be declared as pubic testing.