Plex Meta Manager (Emby Support)

jaketame

bakes82
8 hours ago, jeremyrent said:

Making the assumption that most new Emby users requesting additional features are Plex share sellers is a bold leap. Such judgments are often inaccurate. What truly matters is whether these features will enhance the Emby experience for users or not.

Its not, I know they are sellers they use the same account names lol.  Things like account disable dates is clearly a seller request.  Id even say having automatic collections from lists is mainly geared at share selling as the libraries are large, most home users dont need collections.  

Riddler84

There's so much activity here, that I want to share my efforts too, to replicate the PMM overlay feature in Emby. I also added the possibility to add IMDb Tags to every movie or episode. It's still a lot of work to do, because I want it to be as failsafe and user-friendly as possible. But I intend to share the code, once it's done. Still working on automatic collections, too.

If you look at the Overlays you may notice, that I even expanded on some of the PMM features. Instead of just showing the IMDb Top 250 banner, it actually shows the current place. And it will update this regularly based on a cache system, that checks for changes in customizable intervals.

I even included an Oscar badge, showing the number of nominations (white oscar) or wins (golden oscar). Could be a bit more visible, but it's a start^^.
There is also a mediastinger badge, indicating if a movie has any after-credit scene. 

Shows and episodes are also included, but that's not finished as of right now.

screenshot.png

screenshot1.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech
11 hours ago, Riddler84 said:

There's so much activity here, that I want to share my efforts too, to replicate the PMM overlay feature in Emby. I also added the possibility to add IMDb Tags to every movie or episode. It's still a lot of work to do, because I want it to be as failsafe and user-friendly as possible. But I intend to share the code, once it's done. Still working on automatic collections, too.

If you look at the Overlays you may notice, that I even expanded on some of the PMM features. Instead of just showing the IMDb Top 250 banner, it actually shows the current place. And it will update this regularly based on a cache system, that checks for changes in customizable intervals.

I even included an Oscar badge, showing the number of nominations (white oscar) or wins (golden oscar). Could be a bit more visible, but it's a start^^.
There is also a mediastinger badge, indicating if a movie has any after-credit scene. 

screenshot.png

screenshot1.png

Looking amazing - first of all well done :)

Let us know if we can help but it looks as if you have this well under control !

If you want any testers, shout via PM

jeremyrent
On 10/12/2023 at 4:18 AM, Riddler84 said:

screenshot.png

screenshot1.png

That's the beauty of open source code.

Some people was kind enough to create that amazing tool called Plex Meta Manager and another great mind will be kind enough to refactor it so even more people than before can use itA group of generous individuals developed the incredible open-source and freely available tool known as Plex Meta Manager. Now, another talented mind will be kind enough to refactor it, expanding its accessibility to an even larger audience.I'll eagerly anticipate trying your fork, and from what I've seen, it appears you're doing an excellent job so far!

Needless to say, I also would like to express my gratitude @rbjtech @Bagul @juanmartinbravo and also @jaketame @hthgihwaymonk for what they have shared so far. @rbjtech

On 10/12/2023 at 4:18 AM, Riddler84 said:

screenshot.png

screenshot1.png

A group of generous individuals developed the incredible open-source and freely available tool known as Plex Meta Manager. Now, another talented mind will be kind enough to refactor it, expanding its accessibility to an even larger audience. I'll eagerly anticipate trying your fork, and from what I've seen, it appears you're doing an excellent job so far!

Needless to say, I also would like to express my gratitude @rbjtech

@Bagul@juanmartinbravo @jaketame

@hthgihwaymonk

not just for what they have achieved, but also for sharing their knowledge and work with each other.

hthgihwaymonk

well seeing as how I got tagged back into this thread - 
that's excellant work @Riddler84 !

I didn't feel like like venturing into showing ratings as I never used those with PMM either.
But good job working that out.
It's kinda funny once I finished with overlays, within a few weeks of finishing that I decides to got the merge like content route (1080p, 4k, 3d, alt-editions) and combined them all into one item.  And once that was done I stopped using overlays as it lost its value at that point.  Now I just use TAGs

Riddler84

On 10/12/2023 at 10:10 AM, rbjtech said:

Looking amazing - first of all well done :)

Let us know if we can help but it looks as if you have this well under control !

If you want any testers, shout via PM

Thanks! And yes, I don't think I need help right now. Also, I didn't feel comfortable showing the code to somebody in its current state. Will have to do a lot of refactoring first 😉
It's too early for testing, too, there's still a lot of stuff missing or incomplete. But I will come back to you on that eventually.

On 10/13/2023 at 3:06 AM, jeremyrent said:

I'll eagerly anticipate trying your fork

Well, it's not really a fork from PMM. I wrote it from scratch, without looking even much into the code of PMM. I didn't even want to maintain such a big project as PMM to be honest^^
I just replicated some of the features, that I want to use from it in Emby and changed or expanded it the way I want it to be.

On 10/13/2023 at 4:13 AM, hthgihwaymonk said:

well seeing as how I got tagged back into this thread - 
that's excellant work @Riddler84 !

I didn't feel like like venturing into showing ratings as I never used those with PMM either.
But good job working that out.
It's kinda funny once I finished with overlays, within a few weeks of finishing that I decides to got the merge like content route (1080p, 4k, 3d, alt-editions) and combined them all into one item.  And once that was done I stopped using overlays as it lost its value at that point.  Now I just use TAGs

Thank You! But what You mean with "merge like content route"? Do you hold multiple videofiles for every resolution for every movie etc?
Wouldn't that be a waste of space? I mean, Quicksync for example can literally transcode everything into lower resolutions. So, if you have something in 4k, why hold copies in lower resolutions? But maybe you meant, something else.

It's different of course, if You have multiple editions, like theatrical cut and directors cut, etc.. This could only work, if You have them as separate movie items. Or you could just place a badge with an icon on the cover, which is telling the user that there are multiple versions/editions available. PMM is doing it that way too^^

hthgihwaymonk
32 minutes ago, Riddler84 said:

Thank You! But what You mean with "merge like content route"? Do you hold multiple videofiles for every resolution for every movie etc?
Wouldn't that be a waste of space? I mean, Quicksync for example can literally transcode everything into lower resolutions. So, if you have something in 4k, why hold copies in lower resolutions? But maybe you meant, something else.

It's different of course, if You have multiple editions, like theatrical cut and directors cut, etc.. This could only work, if You have them as separate movie items. Or you could just place a badge with an icon on the cover, which is telling the user that there are multiple versions/editions available. PMM is doing it that way too^^

Yes, multiple resolutions and versions of films and series, 4K, 1080p, IMAX, 3D, Alternate Cuts, etc. (merged into one item)
Why, because I want to.

I think that creating 2 programs that ultimately do the same thing (or almost) is not very useful.
So I'll wait.

Like rbjtech, I can offer my help with code or testing (without making your code public with a private repo, for example).

• Thanks 1

Riddler84
21 hours ago, hthgihwaymonk said:

Yes, multiple resolutions and versions of films and series, 4K, 1080p, IMAX, 3D, Alternate Cuts, etc. (merged into one item)
Why, because I want to.

Didn't say anything against it. For me personally, it would be useless to have multiple files for different resolutions. I just store it once in the highest quality I want, and any lower resolution can be easily transcoded. But that's just me^^

Editions on the other hand are a good reason for multiple files. I don't do that either, but I can see, why people are wanting that. And that is something you cannot solve with transcoding 😉

20 hours ago, Bagul said:

I think that creating 2 programs that ultimately do the same thing (or almost) is not very useful.
So I'll wait.

Yeah, was hoping too, that PMM would support Emby at one point. But to be honest, I don't think this is something that is going to happen in the near future, if ever. That's why I did my own version, tailored it to my use case and added some things too, PMM didn't even have, like showing Oscar wins/nominations or the actual IMDb rank instead of a general Top 250 Banner.

Edited by Riddler84
  • Like 1

They don't really have to support Emby specifically if they can just work with your own nfo and image files.

jeremyrent
13 hours ago, Riddler84 said:

Yeah, was hoping too, that PMM would support Emby at one point. But to be honest, I don't think this is something that is going to happen in the near future, if ever. That's why I did my own version, tailored it to my use case and added some things too, PMM didn't even have, like showing Oscar wins/nominations or the actual IMDb rank instead of a general Top 250 Banner.

Although I haven't had direct communication with PMM developers, I hold the belief that the likelihood of them porting their tool to Emby anytime soon is rather slim. If anything, they may be more inclined to consider transferring their features to Jellyfin.

Jellyfin being free and open source, just like their tool, could be the main reason to decide which other software they should support first.

To be frank, I can understand the rationale behind developers wanting to monetize an Emby plugin they've created, but I can equally comprehend why other free open source developers like the ones behind PMM might be more willing to support Jellyfin.

This is why, in the short term, I believe this community needs people like rbjtech, Bagul and yourself and that's why I'm so grateful to you already.

rbjtech
15 hours ago, Riddler84 said:

Editions on the other hand are a good reason for multiple files. I don't do that either, but I can see, why people are wanting that. And that is something you cannot solve with transcoding 😉

Actually - you can - the MKV container supports 'branching' - ie you can have different editions within the same file.

However, very few players support this (incl emby) so you're factually correct with your statement above ;) - just thought I'd add into the mix for future knowledge .. 

See here for details (see Editions) -

http://mod16.org/hurfdurf/?p=8

• Thanks 1

Riddler84
9 hours ago, jeremyrent said:

Jellyfin being free and open source, just like their tool, could be the main reason to decide which other software they should support first.

To be frank, I can understand the rationale behind developers wanting to monetize an Emby plugin they've created, but I can equally comprehend why other free open source developers like the ones behind PMM might be more willing to support Jellyfin.

Hmm, don't get your logic here. I mean, PMM is a software that only works with Plex at this moment, which has a premium program, just like Emby. You can use both for free if you want. Jellyfin being completely free to use doesn't change any of that.

Also, Jellyfin is a fork of Emby, so if they decide to support the one or the other, the hurdle is not that high to support just both, which is actually the plan, according to this approved feature request. So they will eventually do this, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I definitely won't wait for it to happen^^

6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Actually - you can - the MKV container supports 'branching' - ie you can have different editions within the same file.

However, very few players support this (incl emby) so you're factually correct with your statement above ;) - just thought I'd add into the mix for future knowledge .. 

See here for details (see Editions) -

http://mod16.org/hurfdurf/?p=8

Didn't know that, so thanks for the info 👍
But.. it wouldn't change anything in Emby, would it? Because it wouldn't really matter if You have multiple files merged into one Emby item, or just one file that holds multiple editions. In Emby (when supported) it should appear as one item in which you can choose the edition, right. So while technically interesting, it wouldn't change the user experience, right?

rbjtech
1 hour ago, Riddler84 said:

Didn't know that, so thanks for the info 👍
But.. it wouldn't change anything in Emby, would it? Because it wouldn't really matter if You have multiple files merged into one Emby item, or just one file that holds multiple editions. In Emby (when supported) it should appear as one item in which you can choose the edition, right. So while technically interesting, it wouldn't change the user experience, right?

From a UX experience - no difference at all.   But from a transcoding/file storage pov, having one 4k file, with all editions and option to transcode to any resolution dynamically is ultimately where we want to get to... I can dream.. 😎

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump the thread to broadcast my interest. I'm a soon to be Plex refuge (I am so done with them after the Discover Together roll out) but will sorely miss PMM once I pull that trigger. Would love to see either official support for PMM or some form of a compromise to almost get the same experience.

Fingers crossed. 

jaketame

Sneak peek

[[A2023-12-05 12:42:52,337 - __main__ - INFO - Log initialized.
2023-12-05 12:42:54,211 - __main__ - INFO - TMDB ids for list Planets: ['tt10219322', 'tt6769208', 'tt0296310', 'tt2092588', 'tt9253866', 'tt0795176', 'tt5491994', 'tt10324164', 'tt9805708', 'tt16986646', 'tt9805674', 'tt9805678']
2023-12-05 12:42:54,211 - __main__ - INFO - URL with TMDB IDs: https://******/emby/Items?api_key=***********&Recursive=True&Fields=ProviderIds&AnyProviderIDEquals=imdb.tt10219322,imdb.tt6769208,imdb.tt0296310,imdb.tt2092588,imdb.tt9253866,imdb.tt0795176,imdb.tt5491994,imdb.tt10324164,imdb.tt9805708,imdb.tt16986646,imdb.tt9805674,imdb.tt9805678
2023-12-05 12:42:54,397 - __main__ - INFO - Emby API Request: https://******/emby/Items?api_key=***********&Recursive=True&Fields=ProviderIds&AnyProviderIDEquals=imdb.tt10219322,imdb.tt6769208,imdb.tt0296310,imdb.tt2092588,imdb.tt9253866,imdb.tt0795176,imdb.tt5491994,imdb.tt10324164,imdb.tt9805708,imdb.tt16986646,imdb.tt9805674,imdb.tt9805678
2023-12-05 12:42:54,398 - __main__ - INFO - Emby API Response Status Code: 200
2023-12-05 12:42:54,462 - __main__ - INFO - Emby API Request: https://******/emby/Collections?Name=Planets&Ids=204434%2C204460%2C204563%2C204572%2C204575%2C204587%2C204627%2C215791%2C215988%2C216195%2C216218%2C216219%2C216224%2C216279%2C216361%2C216401%2C317966&api_key=***********
2023-12-05 12:42:54,462 - __main__ - INFO - Emby API Response Status Code: 200
2023-12-05 12:42:54,462 - __main__ - INFO - Emby response: {'Id': '349395', 'Name': 'Planets'}
2023-12-05 12:42:55,110 - __main__ - INFO - Emby API Request: https://******/emby/Items/349395/Images/Primary/0/Url?url=https://theposterdb.com/api/assets/237256&api_key=***********
2023-12-05 12:42:55,111 - __main__ - INFO - Emby API Response Status Code: 204
2023-12-05 12:42:55,111 - __main__ - INFO - Emby API Response Text: 
2023-12-05 12:42:55,111 - __main__ - INFO - Emby API returned a success status code: 204

• Like 3

Im new to emby so i might be mistaken .

But without custom ordering in collections its basicly impossible to create collections based on external lists? top 100 imdb etc etc

which is one of the great things about pmm

Edited by lostb1t

rbjtech
14 minutes ago, lostb1t said:

Im new to emby so i might be mistaken .

But without custom ordering in collections its basicly impossible to create collections based on external lists? top 100 imdb etc etc

which is one of the great things about pmm

That's what this thread is about.

It's not impossible to create the lists/collections - in fact - it is very easy to do so as emby has a very nice API.

Many examples of how easy it is are given in this thread.

It's just a matter of 'wrapping' a GUI or adding automation.

@jaketameMay be working on this from the tease given in post above this one .. :)  btw - if you want any private testers - then please PM and I'll be happy to try and help where I can.. 

bakes82

Arent there already other versions of scripts that create collections, it looks like hes just using the rest api and passing over the imdbids ....  I assume he will run in to issues with the URL length with like IMDB Top 250 etc, so far all his were like rinky dink lists.

rbjtech
5 hours ago, bakes82 said:

Arent there already other versions of scripts that create collections, it looks like hes just using the rest api and passing over the imdbids ....  I assume he will run in to issues with the URL length with like IMDB Top 250 etc, so far all his were like rinky dink lists.

If there are URL length limitations, then just keep adding to the collection with multiple requests ?

bakes82
9 hours ago, rbjtech said:

If there are URL length limitations, then just keep adding to the collection with multiple requests ?

Yes Im pretty sure there is a max URL size, but Im assuming they didnt think of it, and youd need to stop it at the last whole ID ;), wasnt 4.8 suppose to be released, people might make plugins onces that happens, no point trying to do it for the old version when the 4.8 stuff changes.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
lightsout

Very interested here, been playing with PMM lately and after many years with Emby (Media Browser pre-server days) I have  been using plex much more because of this

ronmramsayii

How are things looking with this? Just curious to know. I’m no coder per-say but if someone has a template then I can work with that lol