Plex Meta Manager (Emby Support)

jaketame

jaketame

Hi everyone! 

I'm looking to get some more support from Emby community on getting PMM (Plex Meta Manager) to support Emby. This is an Collection / Poster Tool that will auto-populate collections based on criteria, for example TMDB Collections List. IMDB Collections List. Trakt Lists Etc... You can also overlay things on top of the posters. 

They haven't started but I suspect its API related so anymore that whats to help then lets get this done :)

Check it out and if you want to throw in some support, Sponsor! (This isn't me, i'm just plugging)

https://metamanager.wiki/en/latest/ & https://github.com/sponsors/meisnate12

Discord is running: https://discord.gg/xwJ9kfaJ & Feature Request for Emby https://features.metamanager.wiki/features/p/emby-jellyfin-support

image.thumb.png.b46674322085c7393efe737f91eca76d.pngimage.thumb.png.fd98f08bd9508bdf6a4d1330ca29c4f5.png

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

Eigeplackter

It's a nice feature, but where do I have to put all those differet *.yml files ?

image.png.f30b4620d77bc0e4c832352be3612da3.png

In the config folder ? Or do I have to copy the content just in movies.yml ?

jaketame
42 minutes ago, Eigeplackter said:

It's a nice feature, but where do I have to put all those differet *.yml files ?

In the config folder ? Or do I have to copy the content just in movies.yml ?

PMM is a seperate application so will need its own docker or install location to run. These .yml files are then inside that config directory. config.yml is the main one that references other's.

Like I say its just for Plex atm however we can get Emby support with enough people or API help.

Eigeplackter

I run a Plex Server parallel to Emby, as Panasonics HomescreenOS 7./8. is not supported by Emby so far (@Luke any news?).

I have PMM running in its own docker on Synology, so the I meet the prerequisities. But I have no idea of API.

I‘ll check how to reference to those files.

6 hours ago, Theangelofspace15 said:

This would be cool. This is the only reason I still run plex along emby. 

Why not use the metadata manager inside of Emby?

Theangelofspace15
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Why not use the metadata manager inside of Emby?

Anime metadata. PMM has myanimylist integration. I do use the overlays bit the main things is there metadata providers.

7 hours ago, Theangelofspace15 said:

Anime metadata. PMM has myanimylist integration. I do use the overlays bit the main things is there metadata providers.

Don't we have MyAnimeList as well? Have you explored the Emby plugin catalog?

• 2 weeks later...
Riddler84

The one thing I'm missing after moving from Plex to Emby is PMM. I've spent so much time creating collections and make custom covers for it. Would love to have this in Emby too.
It's actually on their roadmap, and it's the second most voted one. But work hasn't started on it yet.

https://features.metamanager.wiki/features/p/emby-jellyfin-support

4 hours ago, Riddler84 said:

The one thing I'm missing after moving from Plex to Emby is PMM. I've spent so much time creating collections and make custom covers for it. Would love to have this in Emby too.
It's actually on their roadmap, and it's the second most voted one. But work hasn't started on it yet.

https://features.metamanager.wiki/features/p/emby-jellyfin-support

What specific features do you like from it?

Riddler84
12 hours ago, Luke said:

What specific features do you like from it?

Basically, I want to recreate something like this in Emby:

screenshot.thumb.jpg.f94f3ef38cb19476ea7591deda656a18.jpg

The genre collections (white border) are pretty much possible to create, as well as the studio and person collections (red and blue) with limitations. But everything else is based on IMDb lists.

PMM just manages and updates these lists automatically based on a configurable schedule. And you can use a lot of data sources to build your lists. Like mdblist.com or trakt.tv for example. Another cool feature is the possibility to place good-looking overlays on your posters, like an IMDb Top 250 Banner or ratings or quality info.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
jaketame
On 28/01/2023 at 14:38, Riddler84 said:

The genre collections (white border) are pretty much possible to create, as well as the studio and person collections (red and blue) with limitations. But everything else is based on IMDb lists.

PMM just manages and updates these lists automatically based on a configurable schedule. And you can use a lot of data sources to build your lists. Like mdblist.com or trakt.tv for example. Another cool feature is the possibility to place good-looking overlays on your posters, like an IMDb Top 250 Banner or ratings or quality info.

Exactly this. It’s a massive draw to Plex at the moment. 

Once AppleTV is near feature complete I may use Emby as the daily however PMM May swing it still to use Plex.

I get this is a third party. Trying to dissect PMM to retrofit Emby API seems like a bit task. 

Edited by jaketame

Theangelofspace15
On 1/16/2023 at 9:50 AM, Luke said:

Don't we have MyAnimeList as well? Have you explored the Emby plugin catalog?

To be honest, I havent in the last 18 months.  Last time I checked it was broken or for some reason it didnt work for me but it has been a while. 

Cheesegeezer
On 28/01/2023 at 14:38, Riddler84 said:

How does PMM get the lists from IMDB? Emby... as far as i know it, doesn't have access to the IMDB API (it's insanely Expensive), and to scrape this information is against the terms of service, T&C's for Emby. 

I clicked on the link you provided but it doesn't give any info and just links to Emby's Swagger or Jellyfin API. 

But PMM has plans to add support for Emby.  So i would imagine that it's just a case of them sorting their users info/collections/etc and then Creating a Scheduled Task as a plugin to inject those things.

I don't think that Emby Can help here (Correct me if i'm wrong Luke & Eric) as the information is from PMM.

EDIT

@jaketame  If they need c# help and understanding how to interact with Emby, i can certainly help them to get this off the ground.  But looking at their github page, they are scraping info from imdb so don't think it would be allowed into the emby catalogue.  However could be hosted elsewhere for downloads

Edited by Cheesegeezer

jaketame
33 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

How does PMM get the lists from IMDB? Emby... as far as i know it, doesn't have access to the IMDB API (it's insanely Expensive), and to scrape this information is against the terms of service, T&C's for Emby. 

I clicked on the link you provided but it doesn't give any info and just links to Emby's Swagger or Jellyfin API. 

But PMM has plans to add support for Emby.  So i would imagine that it's just a case of them sorting their users info/collections/etc and then Creating a Scheduled Task as a plugin to inject those things.

I don't think that Emby Can help here (Correct me if i'm wrong Luke & Eric) as the information is from PMM.

EDIT

@jaketame  If they need c# help and understanding how to interact with Emby, i can certainly help them to get this off the ground.  But looking at their github page, they are scraping info from imdb so don't think it would be allowed into the emby catalogue.  However could be hosted elsewhere for downloads

Its more of an API integration into Emby. PMM runs as an external docker container for Plex so i think that would just continue.

IMDB.py in here https://github.com/meisnate12/Plex-Meta-Manager/tree/master/modules for dissecting. 

I think its understanding the API calls required that builds out the Collections to start with and then move onto the poster overlays (Much more customizable)

Cheesegeezer
1 minute ago, jaketame said:

Its more of an API integration into Emby. PMM runs as an external docker container for Plex so i think that would just continue.

IMDB.py in here https://github.com/meisnate12/Plex-Meta-Manager/tree/master/modules for dissecting. 

I think its understanding the API calls required that builds out the Collections to start with and then move onto the poster overlays (Much more customizable)

API's should be easy for these guys... All the docs are there for manipulation.   

image.thumb.png.275f1e156ef6dd9bdf276adbf1ac3202.png

image.thumb.png.79e682f1c2b0b538a744ad7fa65bd3e9.png

They can also make use of the new API clients available from Emby SDK.  

image.png.ffac4add09fbde32d8ef3dcb628348c5.png

Riddler84
7 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Their code is public and if you look at it, you can see that they pretty much scrape the site. They're requesting the HTML and then using xpath to extract the info they need.

I don't know if they have IMDB's consent to do this (you can get it according to IMDb's TOS), but even if not. I'm not a legal expert by any means, but I doubt that IMDb can forbid anyone to access their public available HTML and extracts every data they want from it. Otherwise, Google wouldn't work at all. They're scraping millions of sites every day without asking.

All that IMDb can do against it, is trying to block the access for everyone who is trying to scrape the site, but this is extremely hard to do or to detect and probably not worth the effort. And in the case of PMM, there's not a central IP which is requesting all the data, because every PMM user is making requests from his own client.

7 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

A plugin wouldn't be necessary, I guess. It's a service that has to be hosted separately by every single user. It has its own configurable schedule, so it's not needed to make a plugin for Emby to use Emby's schedule feature. I guess it would just make use of Emby's REST API to make direct changes to the database. That's how they do it for Plex, at least. But sadly, I doubt that they will create an Emby version anytime soon.

Cheesegeezer
6 minutes ago, Riddler84 said:

Their code is public and if you look at it, you can see that they pretty much scrape the site. They're requesting the HTML and then using xpath to extract the info they need.

I don't know if they have IMDB's consent to do this (you can get it according to IMDb's TOS), but even if not. I'm not a legal expert by any means, but I doubt that IMDb can forbid anyone to access their public available HTML and extracts every data they want from it. Otherwise, Google wouldn't work at all. They're scraping millions of sites every day without asking.

All that IMDb can do against it, is trying to block the access for everyone who is trying to scrape the site, but this is extremely hard to do or to detect and probably not worth the effort. And in the case of PMM, there's not a central IP which is requesting all the data, because every PMM user is making requests from his own client.

A plugin wouldn't be necessary, I guess. It's a service that has to be hosted separately by every single user. It has its own configurable schedule, so it's not needed to make a plugin for Emby to use Emby's schedule feature. I guess it would just make use of Emby's REST API to make direct changes to the database. That's how they do it for Plex, at least. But sadly, I doubt that they will create an Emby version anytime soon.

I don't know python... there are quite a few guys here that possibly could do this easily as they are from that language.  But i'm not sure how much interest there would be to create emby manager when a lot of folk use TMM and emby's built in manager seems fine.   I think it's the extra functions that you can do with PMM that interest a lot of users.

• Like 1

Riddler84
13 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

I don't know python... there are quite a few guys here that possibly could do this easily as they are from that language.  But i'm not sure how much interest there would be to create emby manager when a lot of folk use TMM and emby's built in manager seems fine.   I think it's the extra functions that you can do with PMM that interest a lot of users.

Well, it's not really about metadata. I use PMM mainly for collections and overlays. I guess most people do. And currently I don't know of any way to recreate any of this in Emby. 

This alone is a game changer and far superior to any Emby-overlay-plugin I know of: https://metamanager.wiki/en/latest/defaults/overlays.html

There is not really anything that Emby can do about this. Have to wait for PMM to adapt. But what Emby could do is finding ways to redesign the front page, including ways to make it more dynamic by putting random or specified collections on it. In my opinion, there should be something new on the front page every time a user visits it, even if nothing was added or removed. It's way too static ;) 

• Agree 1

Cheesegeezer
1 hour ago, Riddler84 said:

Well, it's not really about metadata. I use PMM mainly for collections and overlays. I guess most people do. And currently I don't know of any way to recreate any of this in Emby. 

Very misleading name then.

1 hour ago, Riddler84 said:

This alone is a game changer and far superior to any Emby-overlay-plugin I know of: https://metamanager.wiki/en/latest/defaults/overlays.html

There is not really anything that Emby can do about this. Have to wait for PMM to adapt. But what Emby could do is finding ways to redesign the front page, including ways to make it more dynamic by putting random or specified collections on it. In my opinion, there should be something new on the front page every time a user visits it, even if nothing was added or removed. It's way too static ;) 

hope they do for your sake.  

• Like 1

Riddler84
17 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Very misleading name then.

The OP was just looking for some support from the Emby community to "convince" the PMM devs to implement Emby support. They already showed interest, but it's not like it has top priority right now^^

jaketame
18 hours ago, Riddler84 said:

The OP was just looking for some support from the Emby community to "convince" the PMM devs to implement Emby support. They already showed interest, but it's not like it has top priority right now^^

This! If people have time to help then great, I can work on Python but not in any reasonable time frame.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...