WOL with docker

namcapa

Hi.

I am currently trying to get wake on lan working with the theater apps as my server is not running all the time anymore.

My current server side setup is a docker host (Ubuntu 20.04) with the official docker container (emby server version 4.7.10.0) which is running in bridge mode and is connected to two internal networks (one for the reverse proxy and another one currently for the connection with ombi). I would prefer to keep it that way to have it all separated.

Capturing the traffic between the server and app with wireshark it looks like the app sends two WOL packets to the MACs of the two network interfaces of the container which is obviously not correct with my setup.

It would be great if there could be an input field in the server settings to override the automatically detected MAC addresses.

• Like 1

It would be great if there could be an input field in the server settings to override the automatically detected MAC addresses.

But yes, this has been on the to do list for a long time. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, have you tried host networking mode? It will be much easier to get WOL working with that.

Yes I have and with this the app can wake the server up. However now Ombi can't connect to the API, I have to look into this to check if this is fixable. And the app tries to send an WOL packet to every other network interface which docker created. Depending on the on the amount of created containers this might not be desirable.desirable

But I have found another "solution". Using mac_address (https://docs.docker.com/compose/compose-file/#mac_address) in my docker-compose file to set one of the network interfaces MAC address to the one of the host interface and leaving the container in bridge networking mode. This works seamlessly (as in the container starts without errors or warnings and correct WOL packets are send) but I have not tested it thoroughly. I am pretty sure this is not a docker supported configuration as duplicate MAC addresses might create some issues or side-effects somewhere.

• Thanks 1