Recording ended early

iiiJoe
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

joekingcool

@iiiJoe

yes you can trigger it by creating a windows firewall rule to block ffmpeg.exe.   advance firewall // out going // right click new rule // select location of ffmpeg // say block // all networks //give name fffmpeg block.  then you can turn on or off this rule. when you turn it on it will block a recording in progress and give you that sts error. then the monitor.exe should shutdown emby within a min. then move that log to the fixed folder. also create a log of its own saying what program it updated. 

did you get api key?

update paths in config file?

joekingcool
3 minutes ago, iiiJoe said:

Another update: I’m only using the “record monitor.exe” and “config”  file. Does that one check for sts error, or is it another one?

correct thats all you need

iiiJoe
27 minutes ago, joekingcool said:

@iiiJoe

yes you can trigger it by creating a windows firewall rule to block ffmpeg.exe.   advance firewall // out going // right click new rule // select location of ffmpeg // say block // all networks //give name fffmpeg block.  then you can turn on or off this rule. when you turn it on it will block a recording in progress and give you that sts error. then the monitor.exe should shutdown emby within a min. then move that log to the fixed folder. also create a log of its own saying what program it updated. 

did you get api key?

update paths in config file?

Nice. I’ll do some testing. I have api key and checked the config file several times. Let me recheck….

joekingcool
11 minutes ago, iiiJoe said:

Nice. I’ll do some testing. I have api key and checked the config file several times. Let me recheck….

i think that firewall rule will only block the ffmpeg used by the server you say. but to be sure maybe make sure no other ffmpeg is running in task manager first before you test.  the firewall rule asks the location of ffmpeg process so it should only block that server. 

iiiJoe

So here's the log that I think you're referring to. Does this look right to you? I've checked config file several times and even got a new API key but it just doesn't seem to be working. I'm able to trigger STS error with the rule but no stops or restarts from the Monitor. I've made sure monitor is running and even started and restarted it with no luck. Can you think of anything else I can check?

log.txt

joekingcool

@iiiJoeEDIT: after typing this email up,  i tested mine variety of locations and it seems to not be shutting it down ether. im going to have to look into and see if emby changed something.  

let me look into it some more before you test again, sorry

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah its not working the way it should. it should show emby shutdown then each show it updates then emby starting up. but yours is having trouble shutting down emby. it also looked like you tested on 1/12 then again on 1/21. 

you do have 2 servers setup correct?

and changed the port number of one of them? make sure the port number of the server for recordings is in the config. 

also i forgot to mention in the config file. make sure there are no spaces. they are commas separated. example E:\Emby-Server,location of system & programdata folders. but all you need for that line of the config is E:\Emby-Server,      because what's before the commas is the variable. what's after the comma is just a description. 

also it should show the little green moon icon in bottom right corner when running. 

that is the correct log file. you can delete and let it start over for your next test. just record anything, stop with firewall. have task manager open and scroll to were the ffmpeg processes are, then see if one disappears within a min. if not then maybe shutdown and startup pc and test again. incase maybe there is a run away process from earlier tests. its really just good measure. but if it disappears make sure to turn that firewall rule off, or it will block it when it starts back up . so as soon as you see it drop that ffmpeg process then turn off firewall rule for ffmpeg block.

here's the latest one i have, to make sure we are using same app. 

Recording_Monitor.exe

Edited by joekingcool
  • Thanks 1

joekingcool

@iiiJoe

it was a mistake on my part. when i did the last update to it, where it cleans up the logs. it was cleaning up the logs that it needed to scan.... ooops 🫣

now it cleans them up right before emby starts back up. 

here's the new one

Recording_Monitor.exe

but do remember to only block ffmpeg in firewall just long for the process to disappear then unblock it. 

• Thanks 1

iiiJoe
4 hours ago, joekingcool said:

@iiiJoe

it was a mistake on my part. when i did the last update to it, where it cleans up the logs. it was cleaning up the logs that it needed to scan.... ooops 🫣

now it cleans them up right before emby starts back up. 

here's the new one

Recording_Monitor.exe 2.91 MB · 0 downloads

but do remember to only block ffmpeg in firewall just long for the process to disappear then unblock it. 

Lol, just glad to know I wasn’t going crazy. To confirm, on the config file there should be no spaces between the comma and description? Like this: E:\Emby-Server,location of system & programdata folders

Or can I just remove everything after the comma? Also, I haven’t installed the second server on the same pc yet. Wanted to get recording monitor working smooth first. I’ll install new monitor.exe tomorrow. Thank you @joekingcool

joekingcool

Lol yeah I forgot all about that last change to speed it up. It was moving all the log files to backup folder before it could read them, lol

Correct everything after comma you can delete or ignore. You do need the comma though so it knows that's the end of the variable. You can place the monitor.exe and config in a folder and place anywhere also. I tested that earlier. 

• Thanks 1

iiiJoe
On 1/24/2024 at 1:08 AM, joekingcool said:

Lol yeah I forgot all about that last change to speed it up. It was moving all the log files to backup folder before it could read them, lol

Correct everything after comma you can delete or ignore. You do need the comma though so it knows that's the end of the variable. You can place the monitor.exe and config in a folder and place anywhere also. I tested that earlier. 

Got the new monitor installed Wednesday but haven’t had any failures to truly test it out. Go figure, lol. How’s it looking on your system @joekingcool ?

iiiJoe

Got a failure tonight and your program worked great. I do have a question: the first part of the 30 min program (about 13min in length) that had the sts error was listed in the correct series folder with the second part of the program (about 16min in length) but the only one that was in the actual MB library as the second part. Even after several scans the error portion would only show up in the correct series recordings folder. But, interestingly when I accessed that particular episode in the library recordings it would show the non-error 16 min 2nd half of the program and gave me the option to split apart the versions. When I did the split it revealed the first half of the program and I could then play both parts separately, basically as two episodes. Is there something I need to do for the joiner app to make one complete episode? 

joekingcool

@iiiJoe it took me a while the first time to realize it recorded multiple parts as well. Because mb plays the last section first. 

Just put the joiner next to monitor. It should join all split recordings after there is no activity. Then when you play it will be the whole video minus the section it loss.

You might wanna search threw existing recording folder for any  *-1.ts  to see if you have any split or duplicate recordings though. Just once. Say you recorded the show fully twice. Mb will put same show in that same folder but with a -1.ts -2.ts etc. 

Seems like we're making progress :)

iiiJoe
2 hours ago, joekingcool said:

Seems like we're making progress :)

Absolutely!! 💪

2 hours ago, joekingcool said:

Just put the joiner next to monitor. It should join all split recordings after there is no activity. Then when you play it will be the whole video minus the section it loss.

I’ll do this today. Question: any idea why MB doesn’t recognize the errored portion of the program before using joining app and after library scan?

Edited by iiiJoe

joekingcool
2 hours ago, iiiJoe said:

Question: any idea why MB doesn’t recognize the errored portion of the program before using joining app and after library scan?

Not sure I understand question... Not sure why mb doesn't recognize the sts error and resolve on its own

Monitor app I made works from outside of mb program. Looks at logs, then it does edit the schedule that mb uses. But my app don't tell mb anything else. Mostly because emby don't have a cmd line interface because it is closed source. 

Did this answer ?

• Agree 1

joekingcool

If you look threw your recordings and find any recordings that have multiple parts. By using windows file explorer. Search for *-1.ts . After you know what files are split. Then just run the joiner while it is beside the monitor app. The joiner will be started automatically by the monitor app. When monitor app restarts a recording. 

But you can run the joiner at anytime. It will wait until there is no mb activity. Then the joiner will join all recordings in recording folder and sub folders. 

So if you haven't been using the joiner. The first time it runs it will catch up and merge all in your recording folder. 

I would just look to see before what needs joined. So after you run it, you can verify it's work. 

But since it's the first time running the joiner. You might want to verify all your partial or maybe duplicate recordings you have in dvr folder. 

Cause if you recorded a show say 2 times fully. The joiner don't know it's 2 full recordings. It will join them and make twice as long. 

• Like 1

joekingcool
17 hours ago, iiiJoe said:

can we possibly add another error for the Monitor to search for? 

possible, what error you thinking of?

iiiJoe

@joekingcoolI used the Recording Clean Up app and it worked great! Does it run on it's own or do you just run it periodically manually?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
iiiJoe

What are the chances we could add the Monitor app to Emby’s plug-in catalogue? It’s working well and solves the issue of failed recordings being marked as completed. Integration could possibly solve the issue of failed recordings for everyone. Thoughts….

• Like 1

joekingcool

if i could find some info on how to make plugins for emby i would look into it..

• Like 1