Recording ended early

iiiJoe
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Spaceboy

i'm not querying the how - happy for the technical team to determine that. just setting out user expectations from this user :) 

indeed. how is tvnext progressing? its going to be the main focus of 4.9 isnt it? 😂

iiiJoe
38 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

i disagree with this. i want it to keep retrying for the whole length of the original recording. imagine i'm recording sports game. i'd rather miss 5mins of action in the middle of the game and have the end recorded than emby give up and miss everything. there's no downside to that.

yes the user should be notified, plus if another broadcast is available at a later date then emby should automatically schedule that for recording too

edit - but you guys should get better iptv providers. i almost never have failed recordings

I’m of the same mindset on retries, especially for sports. But I do like what @Carlois saying about letting Emby take over in the case of a redirect. I also agree that a quality provider is a vital component but failed recordings can also be an isp issue, of which some of us only have one good option. It sounds like these changes would solve both of these problems. 

BoomerGamer62
39 minutes ago, Carlo said:

Spaceboy, I think we all want it to keep trying.  All I was suggesting is about a minute for ffmpeg to try and reconnect then give up.  At that point it's back to Emby Server to try and re-establish the connection.  My thought is that there could be additional streams available, could have been a stream redirect so the new location of the stream is different, etc.

Oh yea, another, when we get stacked channel support (ie one channel with different resolutions) Emby could switch streams to continue if needed. Lots of people get multiple versions of the same channel isuch as 4K, 1080, 720, SD so these could be stacked and used in cases like this.

Yes, thats my thought too -- give up, and then Emby re-establishes the connection.  However......as of now Emby isnt restarting connections if the stream stops, only for hardware issues.  Is this something that can be improved?  Would be great if a recording gets restarted for ANY reason if the recording stopped before the scheduled end time of the recording.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, iiiJoe said:

Beta version has the new settings?

No, it has the changes we've been discussing.

iiiJoe
32 minutes ago, Luke said:

Awesome!! Do I need to update my Emby server?

iiiJoe
6 hours ago, Luke said:

@Lukeanything I need to do to see these changes on my Emby server?

1 hour ago, iiiJoe said:

@Lukeanything I need to do to see these changes on my Emby server?

Just test out a live stream.

• Agree 1

iiiJoe
26 minutes ago, Luke said:

Just test out a live stream.

Will do. Will also do more recordings. @BoomerGamer62wanna do recordings also? And we can compare our experiences ☺️

• Thanks 1

BoomerGamer62
18 hours ago, iiiJoe said:

Will do. Will also do more recordings. @BoomerGamer62wanna do recordings also? And we can compare our experiences ☺️

I will set up a test server for this since I cant downgrade my main system if there is an issue.

Just so I know Im going to the right place, is this where I pick up the beta install?

image.thumb.png.75ae1cc0ee58c4e96a08cdd821170932.png

iiiJoe
16 minutes ago, BoomerGamer62 said:

I will set up a test server for this since I cant downgrade my main system if there is an issue.

Just so I know Im going to the right place, is this where I pick up the beta install?

image.thumb.png.75ae1cc0ee58c4e96a08cdd821170932.png

@Luke?

iiiJoe
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Yes.

Please disregard my two recent messages on failed recordings as they were not done on Beta. Thank you Luke

• 2 weeks later...
iiiJoe

Ok everyone, haven't been recording alot since it's summer slow time for me on TV, lol. But, I have an example of one that ended early. It was supposed be a 1hr program and I got 40 seconds. The interesting thing is the log. Can you guys please take a look and see what you think? Looks to me like Emby tried longer than 40 seconds

embyserver-63823420800.txt recording-conversion-ba9ddec3-70b4-4f9c-be18-453cd25601a9_1.txt

26 minutes ago, iiiJoe said:

Ok everyone, haven't been recording alot since it's summer slow time for me on TV, lol. But, I have an example of one that ended early. It was supposed be a 1hr program and I got 40 seconds. The interesting thing is the log. Can you guys please take a look and see what you think? Looks to me like Emby tried longer than 40 seconds

embyserver-63823420800.txt 2.74 MB · 0 downloads recording-conversion-ba9ddec3-70b4-4f9c-be18-453cd25601a9_1.txt 37.18 kB · 0 downloads

Looks like the stream url went bad in the middle of it? It started returning 404 not found responses.

iiiJoe

@Lukea little help would be much appreciated. When, in the log, did it start trying to reconnect and for how long? What is the delay max value currently set at?

iiiJoe

Here's another recording that stopped prematurely. It appears that no attempt was made to reconnect. If the command line is as follows, -reconnect 1 -reconnect_streamed 1 -reconnect_delay_max 127 -reconnect_on_http_error 5xx,4xx,  then Emby should have initiated a reconnect sequence. Correct? @Lukecan you please advise how the current command line is configured?

embyserver(3).txt recording-conversion-ad55c297-c3ab-43d7-9d52-36e67678c255_1.txt

Brian_M

I've been having this same problem and got around to looking into it a bit more.  At least in my case, and I think in your case @iiiJoeit's the exact same as this:

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/8774

It looks like the solution, based on my own testing, is to add

-reconnect_at_eof 1

to the ffmpeg command line.  I may go ahead and write a wrapper for ffmpeg and see if I can fix it that way, or maybe a transcoding setting can do that.  I've only used Emby for a few weeks, so I'm still learning a lot!

iiiJoe

@Brian_Mthanks for joining the conversation! @BoomerGamer62found an excellent article on solving these issues: https://medium.com/intrasonics/robust-continuous-audio-recording-c1948895bb49

I believe @Lukeis trying to implement these changes in beta but I don’t believe we’ve seen any difference so far. Would you mind sharing how you did your testing? Wouldn’t mind trying this myself. We’re you able to keep your recordings alive?