Recording ended early

iiiJoe
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I’m VERY interested but not really tech savvy, so will need to have my friend help me. Emby team, ppl are working hard to get this BASIC issue resolved. Can you not create a native patch to fix this?!? Or even just increase the “delay max” setting in beta beyond the (ultra inferior) 3 seconds of re-tries to see if the issue resolves?!? We have been incredibly patient on this, help me to understand @Luke@Carlo

Edited by iiiJoe

joekingcool

well i found a recording that didnt recover from "seek to start failed" error. but it had a different errors and emby didnt recover it as well. started with "maybe the m3u8 list sequence have been wraped" error then started with "HTTP error 500 Internal Server Error" error. when i played the recording it was couples minutes of repeated video. 

so im thinking of having the app search for "maybe the m3u8 list sequence have been wraped" error as well, then just reboot emby and not update status to in progress because it should still be in that status. 

but it has been saving the "seek to start failed" error. maybe its to quick for the stream to recover. so i might put a 1 min delay in it before it restarts recording. 

more work on this after holidays i think. 

Good to know. If it was repeated video, that sometimes happens and is strictly a provider issue. 1minute delay seems like a great idea! Will hopefully give the stream time to get straight. 

• Agree 1

joekingcool

had some trouble last night where the service got locked up. found the issue. it was the joiner app was running multiple instances and not playing well with the monitor app. unfortunately it wont allow me to edit original post so when i make changes i will make new post. 

Recording_Joiner.exe

Edited by joekingcool
mistake

BoomerGamer62
On 12/20/2023 at 9:29 PM, joekingcool said:

Thanks for this -- I'll try it out.  Up to now I have just been searching logs for "operation not permitted" and setting Emby up to re-record that particular program (since most programs these days are repeated).

By the way, you posted the write-up on the other thread, but the files themselves are only over here.

joekingcool
2 hours ago, BoomerGamer62 said:

By the way, you posted the write-up on the other thread, but the files themselves are only over here.

sorry been a little lazy on how to communicate on the forum . i decided to put the steps and explanation in the read me file. im looking for a more efficient way of keeping up with the changes. i continue to test and as soon as i find an issue i resolve asap and reupload. still not perfect yet. bare with me :)

joekingcool
2 hours ago, BoomerGamer62 said:

searching logs for "operation not permitted"

if that's the only error you get . that fails then don't restart. then try this i swapped the error out. it does need the joiner app as well because it runs that after it finds failed. although i keep finding issue now that i leave them 2 running together. but ideally i would like it to merge the videos shortly after finished with its recordings. 

Recording_Monitor.exe Recording_Monitor.ahk

For those on the beta server the reconnect_delay_max value has been increased a bit, just FYI, although I don't think it will matter for what's happening with these examples.

Just now, Luke said:

For those on the beta server the reconnect_delay_max value has been increased a bit, just FYI, although I don't think it will matter for what's happening with these examples.

What is the new setting, please?

joekingcool
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

it helps some but i agree this is a provider slash ffmpeg issue. if ffmpeg would send proper exit then maybe emby would pickup. but emby thinks its complete and marks the recording as complete instead of in progress. emby does do a much better job of holding onto the stream, so i say it has been improved on the beta. 

• Thanks 1

joekingcool
14 minutes ago, Luke said:

on the beta server the reconnect_delay_max value has been increased a bit,

i dont think this param has been increased to where people are asking.  and this is what others on here have been asking for. currently its set to -reconnect_delay_max 8. if it was a setting people could change, i believe that would help the eliminate the talk about that setting and maybe fix some issues. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joekingcool said:

i dont think this param has been increased to where people are asking.  and this is what others on here have been asking for. currently its set to -reconnect_delay_max 8. if it was a setting people could change, i believe that would help the eliminate the talk about that setting and maybe fix some issues. 

This ☝️☝️☝️

joekingcool
 Improve reconnection for live streams

new emby update tonight for beta said it updated for live steams. although has same reconnect set to 8 for the recordings.

i assume live streams would also be the recordings? @Luke

in the beginning it was 2 so it has increased over time though, just not in this latest update. 

also, when i got the update, the server auto restarted while there was "test" recordings going on. which normally isn't big deal.

but 1 didn't restart, with no issue in logs at all... another strange detail is i was recording 3 channels at same time. other 2 recovered fine.... so its a mystery...

Edited by joekingcool

joekingcool

it seems i got the seek to fail issue resolved, and merging pieces into 1 video first chance it gets. all that's left is.....

1. when emby restarts to fix seek to fail, it interrupts other recordings currently recording at that time. so those shows also loose about a minute of recording. this cant be avoided. have to live with.

2. get HTTP error 410 449 500. these can be resolved by restarting emby, don't need to update status in recordings. but it needs to be restarted as soon as found because its just recording bad video. can be done though. but that will be more interruption's for current recordings. 

3. no error at all , recording just stops. have no clue. have to live with. maybe @Luke can answer this ? 

BoomerGamer62
20 hours ago, joekingcool said:

if that's the only error you get . that fails then don't restart. then try this....

Thanks for this.  I'll try it.  Do the .exe files have to be in a certain folder?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joekingcool said:

it seems i got the seek to fail issue resolved, and merging pieces into 1 video first chance it gets. all that's left is.....

1. when emby restarts to fix seek to fail, it interrupts other recordings currently recording at that time. so those shows also loose about a minute of recording. this cant be avoided. have to live with.

2. get HTTP error 410 449 500. these can be resolved by restarting emby, don't need to update status in recordings. but it needs to be restarted as soon as found because its just recording bad video. can be done though. but that will be more interruption's for current recordings. 

3. no error at all , recording just stops. have no clue. have to live with. maybe @Luke can answer this ? 

Really appreciate all your work on this. Does this fix re-start recordings for the “seek to start failed” error?

• Thanks 1

Also, in reference to the interruption of other recordings, I’m wondering if it would be possible to just run multiple servers on one device on different ports? One server could be for live tv users and other servers could be dedicated to recordings. Just a thought

• Agree 1

joekingcool
8 hours ago, BoomerGamer62 said:

Thanks for this.  I'll try it.  Do the .exe files have to be in a certain folder?

yes put it next to  system, programdata, recordings. outside of it. make sure your recording folder is recordings. later i will make so user can use custom settings. this is only for the seek to start error so far and joining the files when it gets a chance. if you want to search for that other error then use that monitor.exe file i gave you.

ill put the most updated files below. with a read me doc that should explain everything.

Recording_Cleanup.exeRecording_Monitor.exeRecording_Joiner.exe

read me.rtf nssm.exe install_service.bat Emby Server.url ServiceSecurityEditor.exe

joekingcool
8 hours ago, iiiJoe said:

Also, in reference to the interruption of other recordings, I’m wondering if it would be possible to just run multiple servers on one device on different ports? One server could be for live tv users and other servers could be dedicated to recordings. Just a thought

to be honest it restarts so quick and emby creates a buffer when streaming. so they might not notice for live streams. but the recordings at that time would be interrupted. but if your only recording 1 channel at a time, then it will be only that recording. 

you can do a simple test, before you do any of this. start watching a live stream on your phone, give a min or so. then shutdown emby for a minute and start back up. see for yourself if it will interfere. 

yes this seems to resolve the seek to start failed error. tested hundreds of recordings from different channels in different formats with recording 3 streams at time. 

make sure to read the read me file. it should be straight forward so you dont need a tech to do for you. 

and make sure to alway use the latest post i have of the files.

edit......also if you wanted to run multple emby servers on same pc. you could have one on windows as normal then do windows docker for emby. dont ask me how with dockers. i just know what it does not how :) or you could run hyperv on windows and do 2 windows vms and install emby on both. then just point them to the same shared folders...

also i just created a strm file maker for apollo tv since all the ones found were not straight forward and didnt work on windows. 

let me know how it goes.

Edited by joekingcool
  • Thanks 1

pwhodges
2 hours ago, joekingcool said:

edit......also if you wanted to run multple emby servers on same pc. you could have one on windows as normal then do windows docker for emby. dont ask me how with dockers. i just know what it does not how :) or you could run hyperv on windows and do 2 windows vms and install emby on both. then just point them to the same shared folders...

No need for any such complication.  Just run two copies in different folders using different ports.

Paul

• Thanks 2

joekingcool
7 hours ago, pwhodges said:

No need for any such complication.  Just run two copies in different folders using different ports.

i haven't tried that but it should work. if you create a service for the one you do the recordings on, then my apps should only shutdown and start back up that process. 

then run the other emby like normal as a process. 

will emby allow to run multiple embys with same license?