Any chance of supporting SUP and PGS subtitle?

Tomxu

Emby does not recognise the subtitles when I use the external SUP files. When SUP subtitles are embedded in the video, Emby recognises them but does not display them correctly.

I wonder will SUP subtitles and embedded PGS subtitle formats be supported in the future?

Potplayer can recognise and display external subtitles properly.

Potplayer can recognise and display external subtitles properly.

Snipaste_2022-11-22_10-50-36.thumb.png.715b0c5b27938435b0d5f0846d5d58dd.png

Neither the web version and the Emby application can not recognise external SUP subtitles and can not display embedded PGS subtitles correctly

Snipaste_2022-11-22_10-52-21.thumb.png.51c08a1db5df23e25b30f80c93cb3f71.png

Snipaste_2022-11-22_10-57-50.thumb.png.c91ff27535749350a416a8e89e55c0b5.png

14 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, these are already supported when embedded. Why do you think that they're not?

The dialogue subtitles look like squashed.And opening credits like "Columbia",it should display as the pot player(the image on the right).I assume there is a timeline problem for PGS.

Yet,external SUP files can not be recognized at all.

Happy2Play

I know position is an issue I believe in beta server and also potential font being another issue for select languages.  Will have to test but don't think external sup has been brought up before.

I'm currently using Chrome ,Emby Windows and Android App for streaming.Sever is built with docker on Synology NAS.

Here are some logs file if help.

Also two screenshots to explain the PGS issue

Snipaste_2022-11-22_14-59-00.thumb.png.3dd5af76d32eb532c9fef4ef3403fe9e.pngSnipaste_2022-11-22_15-02-21.thumb.png.8aa4362b3affe235a141fab31b9e1783.png

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-1d232ca7-5e09-49f3-8a2f-b504a0d29563_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-71ebbfaf-70a1-4fd5-bf4f-f6c1fe407388_1.txt

Edited by Tomxu

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 2:07 AM, Tomxu said:

I'm currently using Chrome ,Emby Windows and Android App for streaming.Sever is built with docker on Synology NAS.

Here are some logs file if help.

Also two screenshots to explain the PGS issue

Snipaste_2022-11-22_14-59-00.thumb.png.3dd5af76d32eb532c9fef4ef3403fe9e.pngSnipaste_2022-11-22_15-02-21.thumb.png.8aa4362b3affe235a141fab31b9e1783.png

embyserver.txt 674.52 kB · 1 download ffmpeg-transcode-1d232ca7-5e09-49f3-8a2f-b504a0d29563_1.txt 67.13 kB · 1 download ffmpeg-transcode-71ebbfaf-70a1-4fd5-bf4f-f6c1fe407388_1.txt 72.88 kB · 0 downloads

hi @Tomxu, there's a good chance this is improved in the 4.8 beta channel, in case you'd like to try that and let us know how it compares. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Luke said:

hi @Tomxu, there's a good chance this is improved in the 4.8 beta channel, in case you'd like to try that and let us know how it compares. Thanks.

Hi Luke, just now I use the 4.8.0.19 beta version of docker to test. Unfortunately,the problem seems to persist, position of the sup file still not match. And emby still can not reconize the external sup subtitle.

For better reference,I upload the sup subtitle file which match the movie length of 02:06:32.

Snipaste_2022-12-04_12-42-49.png

Bullet Train 2022 2160p WEB-DL DDP5.1 H.265 10bit HDR.sup

Snipaste_2022-12-04_13-40-19.png

Edited by Tomxu

Painkiller8818

The issue i see is you call and name them SUP. Normally they should be .sub
Have you ever tried to name them .sub?

Edited by Painkiller8818

1 hour ago, Painkiller8818 said:

The issue i see is you call and name them SUP. Normally they should be .sub
Have you ever tried to name them .sub?

I tried,turns out neither .sup nor .sub can not be reconized by emby.

pwhodges

.sub is an image-based format from DVD (VobSub) and requires an matching .idx file; .sup is used for PGS subtitles.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomxu said:

I tried,turns out neither .sup nor .sub can not be reconized by emby.

.sub is supported. Why do you think it's not recognized?

Ronstang
On 11/21/2022 at 9:24 PM, Luke said:

Hi, these are already supported when embedded. Why do you think that they're not?

They are supported but on my system they  always require Transcoding.....so if they are supported why do they need transcoding?  I don't use them for this reason and I have about 4000 physical discs that I am forced to find SRT subs for because I don't want any transcoding on my system.  I built it to share and wan everyone to be able to watch with NO TRANSCODING so I spend a lot of time creating my content so it need no transcoding for anyone on my user list.

1 hour ago, Ronstang said:

They are supported but on my system they  always require Transcoding.....so if they are supported why do they need transcoding?  I don't use them for this reason and I have about 4000 physical discs that I am forced to find SRT subs for because I don't want any transcoding on my system.  I built it to share and wan everyone to be able to watch with NO TRANSCODING so I spend a lot of time creating my content so it need no transcoding for anyone on my user list.

Supported means that it's playable within Emby. Not all devices can render every subtitle format natively. For example, if you're playing in the browser, web browsers don't support .sub format subtitles and therefore they'll need transcoding.

9 hours ago, Luke said:

.sub is supported. Why do you think it's not recognized?

I guess .sub is supported since I just change the extension name from sup to sub,but I can't see it in emby.  The original .sup file seems still be a problem though.

Ronstang
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Supported means that it's playable within Emby. Not all devices can render every subtitle format natively. For example, if you're playing in the browser, web browsers don't support .sub format subtitles and therefore they'll need transcoding.

Which is why I don't use them and converting them to SRT is nearly impossible unless you want to spend an hour or more per sub because OCR is inaccurate at best.  It is far easier to just find an SRT online.

• 4 weeks later...
crusher11
On 12/5/2022 at 10:59 AM, Ronstang said:

Which is why I don't use them and converting them to SRT is nearly impossible unless you want to spend an hour or more per sub because OCR is inaccurate at best.  It is far easier to just find an SRT online.

I can OCR an entire film in somewhere between 30 seconds and five minutes, unless it's got a super funky font going on.

Ronstang
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

I can OCR an entire film in somewhere between 30 seconds and five minutes, unless it's got a super funky font going on.

Please share what software you are using and I will give it a try.   The last time I tried it took so long because I got so many OCR errors I simply gave up trying to manually edit them.

Ronstang

@crusher11  Thank you...I have that and that seems to be for DVDs only....I have mostly Blu-Rays and need something for PGS subs, not  the SUB type on DVDs.

GrimReaper
23 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

@crusher11  Thank you...I have that and that seems to be for DVDs only....I have mostly Blu-Rays and need something for PGS subs, not  the SUB type on DVDs.

Not using but doesn't seem so, based on product page:

Description

SubExtractor converts subtitles from DVDs and PGS (Bluray .sup) files into Advanced Substation Alpha (ASS) or SRT text format using a simple OCR. Extract subs from (non-encrypted, on hard drive) DVDs and convert to Advanced Substation Alpha format. It can also convert sup (PGS) and sub/idx formats to same.

Ronstang

The problem with SubExtractor is it does not read the discs in the drive, they have to be on the hard drive and thus have to be run through software with decrypts them.  I use MakeMKV and those files it will not read.....so this program adds a whole other waste of time pathway.

crusher11

The problem with SubExtractor is it does not read the discs in the drive, they have to be on the hard drive and thus have to be run through software with decrypts them.

You need them on your hard drive in order to access them via Emby, too, so what's your point?

I use MakeMKV and those files it will not read

I've been ripping discs with MakeMKV and using SubExtractor to OCR the subtitles for three years and over 1500 films. I think I know what it is and isn't capable of.

Edited by crusher11

Ronstang
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

I've been ripping discs with MakeMKV and using SubExtractor to OCR the subtitles for three years and over 1500 films. I think I know what it is and isn't capable of.

No reason to get snarky...LOL....I wasn't implying anything.  I tried to open a file on my hard drive I had just made with MakeMKV and it didn't even see it....so I may be using it wrong but it looks like a rather simple program but that doesn't mean I didn't miss something.

I'm sorry, I just tried again and for me at least it doesn't even see MKV files.

Edited by Ronstang