Any chance of supporting SUP and PGS subtitle?

Tomxu

Ronstang
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

You need them on your hard drive in order to access them via Emby, too, so what's your point?

I don't KEEP them on my hard drive.  They are compressed and then I delete the images.  Now the compressed files are MKV too so if the subs are present there I guess they could read them but once again, I cannot get the program to even read an MKV file.  There may be some setting I am missing but that is why I am here, I want to learn.  Thank you.

crusher11

It opens subtitle files, not video files.

mkvextract videofile.mkv tracks 2:videofile.sup

Change track number as applicable.

Ronstang

OK, then I have to extract them which I have been doing up until I realized emby doesn't read external.  So I will just use MKVcleaver like I have been and I can even extract them from my compressed MKV files as the subs are in there for emby.

I actually came back here to tell you I was able to open an external PGS file and you are right....it is QUICK...and it seems to be accurate, much more so than SubtitleEdit which I will use to verify this one and future ones as I use it to correct casing and get rid of HI aspects of the subs if present.

Thank you for showing me I already have a program that does this well that I gave up a long time ago.

crusher11

It takes quite a bit of time to train it on each font, but because it's specifically trained it doesn't cock up anywhere near as much as Subtitle Edit does, especially with italics. Also handles characters like ä, ã, â, á etc. But having spent the time, I can get through a Universal release in about 30 seconds with no interaction. Sony is much the same. Kino still needs a bit of help but not much. 

Ronstang

Awesome!! This will definitely change my regimen for the better.  Instead of searching for subs and then trying to SYNC then only to find out they won't until I have tried sometimes 5 or 6 different subs I can just convert the correct ones for my discs because they came with them.

I appreciate your help...Thanks so much 👍

Ronstang

Do you by chance know where DVDSubExtractor stores the information it collects?  I made a mistake and hit the wrong button now it makes a mistake everytime I run it because it has bad OCR info I gave it accidentally.

Ronstang

Would it work if you shared your OcrMap.bin file?  That way I could take advantage of all the OCR you have done...or is this something that is machine specific?

crusher11

I don't know, but there's a "review and correct OCR matches" button at the bottom right of the OCR screen. You can delete the error from there. 

Ronstang

Yes, I found the "review and correct OCR matches" and I will use that to fix my flub.  Thanks.  I really like this program now I actually understand it a couple of years after I abandoned it and I will need it...I have close to 4000 discs to rip and encode.

pwhodges

It sure is a cranky program, but once you're used to it and have got it trained it's really fast.  I have been unable to stop it occasionally putting an unwanted space between v and i (e.g. "v illage",  or v and e (e.g. "lov e"), but I catch those easily with a spell-check run.  I use it to generate ASS subs which I then style and position in Aegisub.

Paul

crusher11
6 hours ago, pwhodges said:

It sure is a cranky program, but once you're used to it and have got it trained it's really fast.  I have been unable to stop it occasionally putting an unwanted space between v and i (e.g. "v illage",  or v and e (e.g. "lov e"), but I catch those easily with a spell-check run.  I use it to generate ASS subs which I then style and position in Aegisub.

Paul

You can manually set the spacing on each character if this occurs. 

Ronstang
58 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

You can manually set the spacing on each character if this occurs. 

How can you do that as I ran into this problem last night on the original "Frankenstein" when it made "Herr" H e rr" and "Fäulein" became "F r äu l ein" bit I used the replace function in SubtiteEdit to quickly replace all instances.....but that does not prevent DVDSubExtractor from making the mistake again.  Is there a way to train it not to mess up the same spacing errors?