Automatic Updates

janth

Hi all,

Wondering if I can get some help with an issue that has been plaguing me for a little while.

I currently have Emby installed on a Windows machine in which it runs as a service (created via NSSM from memory, was a long time ago).

One of my key use cases is that I turn on my machine and Emby starts up in the background and just works, however on occasion when it tries to update, it fails.

A by product of this is that the zip file remains in the updates folder and the server crashes because it doesn't start if there are any pending updates. (Or so I assume?)

Has anyone dealt with this issue before and / or have thoughts on how to fix it? I apologise if this is a duplicate, I did attempt a search, but I couldn't find a match for any keywords I thought applied.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Edited by janth
Added Tags for future users.

Hello janth,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Minor update - While looking at the article on setting up Emby as a Windows service, I noticed the "Exit Actions" weren't setup correctly and the `-service` "Arguments" flag was missing.
I have now updated these as required and will await the next update to see if this in fact fixes it (though I guess not noticing it will be how I know :D)

If anyone else knows better and can say with certainty that these settings are the reason I'm facing the problems I described above, confirmation would be appreciated :)

pwhodges

You don't use the -service flag in this setup.

My understanding is that automatic updating doesn't work in this setup either.  I just do the update manually at my convenience; but it would be possible, I guess, to write a script to run in the dead hours which checks for a new release, and if found stops the service, swaps out the emby-server\system directory, and restarts the service.  It would probably not be too hard to probe Emby to discover when a restart is necessary to update a plugin as well, but I've not thought about that.

Paul

9 hours ago, janth said:

Minor update - While looking at the article on setting up Emby as a Windows service, I noticed the "Exit Actions" weren't setup correctly and the `-service` "Arguments" flag was missing.
I have now updated these as required and will await the next update to see if this in fact fixes it (though I guess not noticing it will be how I know :D)

If anyone else knows better and can say with certainty that these settings are the reason I'm facing the problems I described above, confirmation would be appreciated :)

This will get it to stop trying to automatically update since it is not currently supported when running as a service.