Emby server can't correctly stream/control MKV files on Chromecast HD

wordlover

wordlover
23 hours ago, cayars said:

We're trading PMs about the logs files as well.

What did you learn from the actual video file and all the logs?

File seemed fine to me as I could play it back from my Chromecast as well as casting. No problems with GPU or CPU transcoding nor remuxing regardless of amount of skipping done.

I can't help but wonder if there is a difference in the new CC for the 1080 vs 4K version as I have the 4K version.

Another possibility is that it could be related to actual CC configuration settings.

We could try and compare hardware settings.

But I'd like to know first how things work when not casting and just using the CC with the included remote and the Emby app installed.
Do you have the Emby app installed on the Chromecast?
If not the "cast" could be using DLNA (need to go back and test as well as look at your logs).

I tested using both a Synology server as well as Windows server running Emby.

Carlo

• 6 months later...
Hoptional

I have the same issue when trying to cast to my Nvidia Shield Pro and  I had this already more than three years ago on a different Chromecast device (I think it was a Mi Box). When resuming or seeking, the video freezes and audio keeps playing for a while. In the progress bar in the dashboard, the playback position is reportedly reset to what looks like the time I skipped away from, while the transcoding progress is at the right position. I reported this back in 2020 in this comment: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/81737-app-tries-to-cast-to-chromecast-using-the-servers-local-instead-of-the-remote-address/#comment-835386, but the discussion was resumed in a different thread that no longer seems to exist. I left emby shortly after and just now came back and discovered that the issue still persits after 3.5 years.

Edited by Hoptional

wordlover

I was just about to report, in response to earlier questions from @Luke @Carloand others, I have been able to test now and there are no control problems when using the Emby software running on the CCHD device. But casting to the CCHD device using the Emby app running on various Android devices is still broken with many files. Does this indicate a problem with the Emby Android app or the Emby server's use of the CC API? Why this matters is because a keyboardless candybar remote is a much worse interface than casting from any of my Android phone/tablet devices, where I can use an actual keyboard for search, etc.

Hoptional
1 minute ago, Carlo said:

@wordloveryou should be able to use a bluetooth keyboard with the CCHD if this is any help.

Carlo

Does this mean you have given up on this issue? Do you have an Nvidia Shield Pro you could test this with? I am happy to provide any logs you need, if it means there is a chance this could get fixed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoptional said:

Does this mean you have given up on this issue? Do you have an Nvidia Shield Pro you could test this with? I am happy to provide any logs you need, if it means there is a chance this could get fixed.

4 hours ago, wordlover said:

@CarloI want the software to work.

This is an issue that the dev team has to look into. They may or may not have the exact same devices or may not see what you do which can make a fix tricky. I can't reproduce this for example even using some media I got directly from you.  I purchased the CCHD specifically for testing this. I think we may have slightly different versions of the CCHD if that's possible. Is your CCHD 4K or just "HD"? It's possible there is a difference of some kind in specific models or maybe even wifi/network/protocol wise that is responsible.  It's frustrating for sure trying to find a needle in a haystack like this but we've surely not given up.  We may need to expand what we look at such as making sure (ie more narrowed down device

I do have an Nvidia Shield as well as many different Android, Fire, Roku as well as limited Apple devices I can test with.

Carlo

rbjtech

Adding that I cannot fault the casting to a Shield 2019 Pro (SE 8.22) via my Android Phone - everything plays, resumes, changes audio, changes subs, ff/fwd,skipping around etc.

Tried from the same vlan, even different vlans - all appears to work ok.  These were all 4K remux's (70-100Mbit/sec) with HD Audio,  HDR, DV all played and resumed just fine.

Happy to help if I can, but I cannot reproduce the issue either.

Edited by rbjtech

Hoptional

Thanks for testing it out, @rbjtech
Do the streams transcode for you when casting? I only get this when the video is transcoded, but for some reason it even transcodes on a basic 1080p H264 stream.
I am also wondering if it might have to do with my reverse proxy configuration? I will test this when I have time.

Edited by Hoptional

rbjtech
39 minutes ago, Hoptional said:

I am also wondering if it might have to do with my reverse proxy configuration? I will test this when I have time.

So I've found 1 file that gives a black screen when resuming - audio continues to play.  Resumes fine if played from the Native Player (Android or AndroidTV).

I can't get any of them to transcode though - and don't have an option to reduce the quality to force them to ...

Edited by rbjtech

Hoptional

So I have just tried accessing emby directly through the LAN without the reverse proxy and I get the same issues.

I discovered that the android app has a separate quality setting for casting, which I have now set to the maximum. Now many streams play directly and for them everything works fine. But as soon as anything is transcoded (even if it is only the audio stream) I get the same problem again.

rbjtech
11 minutes ago, Hoptional said:

But as soon as anything is transcoded (even if it is only the audio stream) I get the same problem again.

Ah-ha - gotcha - 'Chromecast streaming quality' - let me reduce that and force it to transcode... brb

edit ..

Hmm - It seems to be ignoring that in the App - it's just Direct Playing.    Tried streaming to AndroidTV and Emby for Android - no issues to report - only that 1 file which has resume issues ...

Edited by rbjtech

17 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

'Chromecast streaming quality' - ... Tried streaming to AndroidTV and Emby for Android

That setting won't come into play if you are casting to one of our apps - only if you are casting to the actual Chromecast feature on the device.

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
44 minutes ago, ebr said:

That setting won't come into play if you are casting to one of our apps - only if you are casting to the actual Chromecast feature on the device.

Ah ok - So currently, if I 'cast' from my phone, it fires up the Emby App on the Shield and plays.    So if I didn't have the TV App installed and just a CC device - it would then use this mobile emby app setting ?    

Hoptional
24 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Ah ok - So currently, if I 'cast' from my phone, it fires up the Emby App on the Shield and plays.    So if I didn't have the TV App installed and just a CC device - it would then use this mobile emby app setting ?    

I can choose between Nvidia Shield Chromecast and Android TV (which is the emby app) when casting from my android phone.

1 hour ago, Hoptional said:

I can choose between Nvidia Shield Chromecast and Android TV (which is the emby app) when casting from my android phone.

Yeah, there should be this choice when casting.

6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

That seems backward. :)

wordlover
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Yeah, there should be this choice when casting.

So that is new information. I just tried that - casting from Emby Android app on my Pixel phone to CCHDwGTV attached to my Samsung TV. I am able to select "Chromecast / Android TV" as an option, which fires up the Emby TV interface on my TV and plays with correctly working controls on my phone (!). Yay! BUT pressing the settings wheel on the phone app pulls up only a black panel, and selecting "disconnect" from the app to end casting freezes the image on the TV and doesn't take back control for the phone app, so this casting option doesn't work fully properly.

wordlover
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

What do you mean by doesn’t take back control?

After "disconnecting" CC, the image/playback is frozen on the TV and stays there, whatever I do on the phone Emby app. After hard closing/turning off both the TV and the Emby app on my phone, there was no way to start playback again in the "Chromecast/Android TV" option

'Regular' casting can be initiated (with the same control problems as before), but after disconnecting and connecting by choosing "Chromecast/Android TV," nothing changes on the TV screen (still at main CC start screen) and there is no way to play anything from Emby phone app until I once again disconnect "Chromecast/ATV".

• 2 weeks later...
TheGroovyMule

Emby Server version: 4.7.14.0

I've experienced the same issue with a Chromecast with Google TV 4K. This is casting directly from my android phone (Emby for Android 3.3.32) without the Emby for Android TV app installed on my Chromecast. Basically playback will start and continue without issue but any attempt to skip or fast-forward results in a frozen video image at the new timestamp, and the audio continuing to play.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread but I did find a trigger for the issue. When I play the same files without CC, the skipping and scrubbing through works without issue. But when I turn it on, then I have playback issues again.

All examples were using mkv files. I can upload logs but is there a way to send them to the devs as opposed to posting them in the forums

• Agree 1