Emby server can't correctly stream/control MKV files on Chromecast HD

wordlover

wordlover

I have gone from confused to disappointed to frustrated. You want my money, but Emby simply does not work properly with Chromecast.

Right Now it is impossible to resume or manually advance through a TV show when connected to and viewing through Chromecast. I have rebooted every program/app and device, I am using a brand new Chromecast HD, I am getting the same errors using both a Samsung tablet and a Google Pixel 5 device, and all are running the most recent versions of Emby software for each platform. 

Latest situation: 

Start playing back a show and cast via Emby connection to Chromecast attached to a Samsung TV. (Kanopy and Hoopla work flawlessly!) SLide the timing bar to, say, 20:00. TV screen changes and shows a still image from that new part of the show, but the controls show PAUSE and STOP, with no option to PLAY, and the show WILL NOT PLAY AT ALL from that point. When I do the same things just viewing directly on tablet or phone, it works fine. The problem is Emby's connection to and control of Chromecast dongle. Please fix this.

wordlover

More info: after swiping on the timer bar to get to, say, 20:00, the image on TV screen shows that part of the show, but the timer bar in the app STILL SHOWS 00:09 and advances from there. Same if I press the :30 advance button. The IMAGE jumps, but the timer bar does not, and nothing plays or is playable on the screen. The timer bar just quietly advances as if playing in real time, but nothing happens on the TV screen other than still image from 20:00 (or wherever I advanced to).

If I watch directly on tablet or phone, I can jump to 20:00 (or any other time) and continue playing with no problem. But if then I engage Chromecast from that point, IT GOES BACK TO 00:00 on the app's timer bar on my Android device, and stops entirely on the TV screen. 

To reiterate and be clear: there is no way to manually seek/advance in a video program and have that play properly through Emby & Chromecast. 

Edited by wordlover

wordlover

@Luke I have isolated the problem further, which appears to be related to the Emby code in the new Chromecast HD dongle.

MP4 video files stream fine, and seeking/advancing in the app playback timeline is correctly reflected on the screen and plays from there. However MKV files exhibit the problem described above. I tested and went back to old Chromecast device, and seek/advance works fine with both MP4 and MKV files.

Summary: there is no way to advance playback of an MKV file being cast through new Chromecast HD dongle.

Edited by wordlover

visproduction

Suspected issue could be the latest Chromecast update.  It looks like Mesh Wifi software has been updated.  This could cause problems with Mesh and non- Meash Wifi.  A TV sitting in one place, only needs a preferred Wifi signal and not really use a Mesh network.  It would be preferrable to turn the Chromcast Mesh option off, if possible, or direct connect to the TV and bypass Chromcast.

For example on a non-MESH Wifi with signal strength that is not full bars or is interferred with by a wireless printer in the same room. It's possible that the Chromcast will try to reconnect to a better MESH signal, when there isn't one.  The result would be the streaming signal drops every couple minutes, perhaps when the Printer that is setup incorrectly as a broadcaster sends out some wireless signal.  This is a common printer setup error.  If you look at your printer manual, page one, it warns you not to leave the printer set to default broadcast if you have a Wifi.  Of course, no one reads these manuals.  To fix this problem, a printer needs to be setup with an IP address.

Another example:  the local Wifi is a Mesh setup and there is a second broadcaster within 20% signal strength to the TV Chromcast dongle.  The new Mesh update from September might be handshaking with the alternate signal to test data speed, perhaps every 30 seconds.  This could also interfer and slow down video streaming.

I have not run tests, nor looked at the Chromcast code.  I don't have this setup.  This type of mis-match with a hardware / software- Chromcast vendor update can often cause problems.  Just consider, Chromcast is interested in making their gear work and they probably don't test or care if any 3rd party data feed has new issues.   It's in their interest to stop other streaming video from working so their allowed signal works better.  Fix for this is move the 2nd mesh broadcaster fruther away or again, connect from router to TV directly.

Be careful when dealing with Wifi.  It is often a Wifi issue that has probably little or nothing to do with server streaming.  This would be especially true when the change is the vendor update.  Which got updated?  Often you do not notice that the Chromcast gets an update.  So it can happen and suddenly connectivity changes.

Chromecast Sept 2022 update notes: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7124014?hl=en

Hope that helps.

Edited by visproduction

wordlover
4 minutes ago, visproduction said:

Suspected issue could be the latest Chromecast update.  It looks like Mesh Wifi software has been updated.  This could cause problems with Mesh and non- Meash Wifi.  A TV sitting in one place, only needs a preferred Wifi signal and not really use a Mesh network.  It would be preferrable to turn the Chromcast Mesh option off, if possible, or direct connect to the TV and bypass Chromcast.

For example on a non-MESH Wifi with signal strength that is not full bars or is interferred with by a wireless printer in the same room, it's possible that the Chromcast will try to reconnect to a better MESH signal, when there isn't one.  The result would be the streaming signal drops every couple minutes, perhaps when the Printer that setup incorrectly as a broadcaster sends out some wireless signal.  To fix this problem, a printer needs to be setup with an IP address.

Another example:  the local Wifi is a Mesh setup and there is a second broadcaster within 20% signal strength to the TV Chromcast dongle.  The new Mesh update from September might be handshaking with the alternate signal to test data speed, perhaps every 30 seconds.  This could also interfer and slow down video streaming.

I have not run tests, nor looked at Chromcast code.  I don't have this setup.  This type of mis match and Chromcast vendor update can often cause problems.  Just consider, Chromcast is interested in making their gear work and they probably don't test or care if any 3rd party data feed has new issues.  Fix for this is move the 2nd mesh broadcaster fruther away or again, connect from router to TV directly.

Be careful when dealing with Wifi.  It is often a Wifi issue that has probably little or nothing to do with server streaming.  This would be especially true when the change is the vendor update.  Which got updated.  Often you do not notice that the Chromcast gets an update.

Hope that helps.

Appreciate the thoughts, but not sure your insights pertain, when there is consistently no problem controlling playback of MP4 files but consistently zero ability to advance MKV files.

visproduction

Aha... mkv files.  Sorry I must have missed that detail.  Hmmm.  TV's should be able to handle MKV, but I wonder about Chromecast.  Does it state somewhere that Chromecast can handle mkv without any errors?  Also you should test with a high quality demo video professionally output to .mkv.  There are many hidden .mkv issues that can trip up playback.  Often there are many subtitles or some unusual codec, Ac3 audio can cause some issues.  HDR color also can cause issues.  Just playing the video on a 3rd party player is not a test. VLC can clean up automatically a lot of video issues and playback all types of codec combinations.  The TV and Chromecast could fail on one of these home made .mkv files.  You have to use a test file made from a post house to see where the problem lies.

Online sites that play on everyone system do not use .mkv, nor AC3 audio, nor generally any HDR or heavy subtitles.  Youtube and others already convert their media to the exact format and codec that works on everyone's browser.  Anyway, your collection of files could be the problem as well.  Testing with a proper demo video can prove or eliminate this possibility.

Hope that helps.

wordlover
8 minutes ago, visproduction said:

Aha... mkv files.  Sorry I must have missed that detail.  Hmmm.  TV's should be able to handle MKV, but I wonder about Chromecast.  Does it state somewhere that Chromecast can handle mkv without any errors?  Also you should test with a high quality demo video professionally output to .mkv.  There are many hidden .mkv issues that can trip up playback.  Often there are many subtitles or some unusual codec, Ac3 audio can cause some issues.  HDR color also can cause issues.  Just playing the video on a 3rd party player is not a test. VLC can clean up automatically a lot of video issues and playback all types of codec combinations.  The TV and Chromecast could fail on one of these home made .mkv files.  You have to use a test file made from a post house to see where the problem lies.

Online sites that play on everyone system do not use .mkv, nor AC3 audio, nor generally any HDR or heavy subtitles.  Youtube and others already convert their media to the exact format and codec that works on everyone's browser.  Anyway, your collection of files could be the problem as well.  Testing with a proper demo video can prove or eliminate this possibility.

As I noted above, MKV files work fine on old Chromecast.

wordlover
On 10/26/2022 at 12:44 PM, Luke said:

@wordlover can you please attach the log file in it's original plain text format, rather than a pdf? Thanks !

Any insights on the problems with resuming/advancing playback of mkv files via Chromecast HD dongle?

wordlover

@Luke Continuing problems with Emby Android app and Chromecast HD dongle connectivity. Log attached. During video playback, connection drops. Video continues to stream from Emby server to Chromecast dongle, but connection to Android app on Pixel 5 or Samsung tablet just dies intermittently. Log attached. Only way to reestablish control/connection is to close app, reopen app, click Chromecast icon in top right. And at all points during connected playback, app only shows time advancing every two or three seconds. (example: during playback the Android app's timeline increments 50:12, 50:14, 50:17, etc.) Is the problem with the app or with Emby's software on the dongle? There is a problem, which occurs consistently. Log attached.embyserver.txt

visproduction

Looked at the log.  I do not know the code, so these are guesses:  

1. Errors after 8 seconds playback shows SmartPlaylist.  Isn't that an optional plug in?  Try turning it off?
  2. "mkv files working on the old Chromecast"... That does not eliminate the Chromecast update a couple weeks ago, from being the problem.  You are aware that a Chromecast update went out in October.  Does Chromecast update automatically without telling you?  All you are saying is the old Chromecast version worked.  So, test with a professional made demo mkv test video from online and then run the same video, directly to a TV that can take Ethernet and bypass Chromecast.  Doing these tests, will tell you if it's a Chromecast issue or not.

wordlover

Vis, thank you for your comments, but these aren't germane to the specific details I have posted above and in other threads, some of which prompted Emby to update their code. I will wait for the Emby staff and see what they have to say.

wordlover

@Luke Here is another log - I played an entirely different mkv file: Emby Android app on Pixel 5 phone, Windows Emby server on a Lenovo laptop, streaming to brand new Chromecast HD with Google TV dongle. Same problem: No ability to advance program manually on timeline - the still image that is visible on TV jumps to whatever later playback time was selected (e.g. 35:30), but no playback commences, and there is no ability to manually start playback. Emby Logs 3.txt

Edited by wordlover

wordlover
2 hours ago, wordlover said:

@Luke Here is another log - I played an entirely different mkv file: Emby Android app on Pixel 5 phone, Windows Emby server on a Lenovo laptop, streaming to brand new Chromecast HD with Google TV dongle. Same problem: No ability to advance program manually on timeline - the still image that is visible on TV jumps to whatever later playback time was selected (e.g. 35:30), but no playback commences, and there is no ability to manually start playback. Emby Logs 3.txt

More problems, more logs. It is impossible to watch an mkv video on Chromecast HD if any change at all is made during playback that involves advancing or resuming the video. After any attempt to move or restart playback, the playback point indicated by the Emby Android app bears no relationship to the playback time of where the video has reached and is being displayed on the TV. And it is impossible to resume playback from any time the video is advanced to. Please see attached. I would very much appreciate acknowledgement that you can see the problem, too, whether or not you have a ready solution. Thanks.

Edit: I just duplicated the steps and situation, casting to the old Chromecast dongle, and everything works fine. So it seems there are still some code problems in the connection between Emby and the new HD Chromecast dongle, beyond the one that I reported - and that was fixed by @Luke - last week.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-99d5011a-c3bc-467d-9508-1f2f49478677_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-458b8a97-a89b-49e1-9fee-c3fccf48c1cf_1.txt

Edited by wordlover
Addl info

wordlover

I have attempted to isolate the problem whereby Emby cannot properly send MKV videos to Chromecast HD dongle. Attached are all the logs. This is a problem Emby team should address because there is currently no way to use resume, or advance, or seek for playback of any MKV video file when casting to a brand new "Chromecast HD with Google TV" dongle.  

First: Casting to Chromecast HD Play 

MP4 file - casts fine: playback works fine, resume works fine, advance works fine, seek works fine

MKV file - casts fine ONLY if starting from beginning. If using resume, advance or seek, 1. only a still image appears on TV screen, 2. there is no way to commence playback, and 3. there is a complete disconnect between the frame that appears on the screen versus the time indicated on the playback bar on the controlling device (i.e. Emby Android app running on Pixel 5 phone).  

Second: Casting to old Chromecast dongle

Everything works fine, although the old dongle doesn't handle high-def files well (playback stutters and halts), which is why I upgraded to new Chromecast HD dongle. 

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-2f394fa6-7252-48e0-b0ba-6c17406f84fa_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-03fd7905-2479-4ec9-8381-3f7792eb530d_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-3d858d52-52a8-432e-bd41-361ae999cc5c_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-13a7b07b-0784-4733-92d4-46c0899d725f_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-62a4bcc8-d5cc-47b7-9629-b47a689ea310_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-124eafd7-fcf9-4545-b716-1a0c9f972bc3_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-0263e33b-aad7-479e-aab8-c8532b5c212a_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-1032b35e-b80d-4a7a-9a6e-d93a1e7ade45_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-3608c078-6fa3-4601-bf81-cd288518e9d5_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-756928e0-fbc8-4a05-bcae-09ec8bad26f2_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-a519098c-e095-42df-906f-c856fefbf414_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-c3ed0353-d269-4bc8-98b1-11b395a3ed8a_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-cf70f15f-846d-460a-b617-d34b283e3206_1.txt

wordlover
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Merging topics so that we can keep relevant discussions together in one place. Thanks.

Thanks. I uploaded logs more than a week ago, and again now. Hoping you will take a look and solve this problem.

wordlover

I tried once again after updating to the new Emby server, but the inability of Emby to navigate and control playback of MKV files when casting to Chromecast HD continues. Log attached. What else do you need to help diagnose this problem?

embyserver (4.7.9).txt

• 2 weeks later...
wordlover

I am incredibly frustrated, both with the Emby server software and with the lack of Emby tech support or attention to this playback issue. The problem continues: Emby cannot properly control streaming of MKV files to Chromecast HD with Google TV dongle. I first reported this problem nearly a month ago, on October 25th, above. Here is another instance of the problem from this evening, with complete logs attached. Straight playback works fine, but ANY attempt to jump forward, rewind, or manually move to a different playback time completely stops all playback. The still image reflects the time selected or jumped to, but the timeline starts at the 0:00 and advances in real time, but with no video showing on screen, nor any ability to use pause or any other playback control except STOP. This is as complete a report as possible, per your explicit guidelines. Please look at these attached logs and let me know if there is a problem with the Emby software that you can fix.  

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-2f50b7cd-10df-41e6-9ad8-0eb6b4be10a7_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-400c177a-b2a0-400a-ba45-9e32586000b2_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-854ad6f4-a97c-46c9-85ad-b323416a5d4b_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-a8327235-6130-4c46-a3a4-3df1deb3b946_1.txt

Edited by wordlover

On 11/9/2022 at 11:09 PM, wordlover said:

I tried once again after updating to the new Emby server, but the inability of Emby to navigate and control playback of MKV files when casting to Chromecast HD continues. Log attached. What else do you need to help diagnose this problem?

embyserver (4.7.9).txt 8.71 MB · 0 downloads

You have a ton of errors in your log file making it very hard to look over. There errors are:

Error App: Error in Discogs
Error ProviderManager: DiscogsArtistImageProvider failed in GetImageInfos for type MusicArtist

Make sure you have this configured correctly or just remove it.

Then try posting fresh logs of the problem for us.