Playback stops on Recorded Shows

mallison01

mallison01

Over the last several weeks, i have been having an issue where recorded shows will pause and hang on playback on any device, shield, roku, samsung, windows browser etc. the player will all but lockup, you can sometimes skip around and get passed the problem spot, sometimes it will completely lock up. It seems to happen in the same spot every time. It seems to only happen on shows recorded from a ABC OTA Channel, and of course only with ".ts" files. It does not seem to matter if you are trying to watch the show as its being recorded or even after the recording is complete.

The playback issue will remain until TDARR processes the file into h265 and mkv, tdarr is on a hold for 3 hours until it picks up the file, however this issue was happening to this library before i told tdarr to process these shows.  The issue was happening before i told tdarr or any other program to watch this folder / library.

The server has been rebooted, it is a standalone machine that does not sleep etc. It also does not matter how i try to connect to the server, fqdn, ip address, through pfsense with haproxy or cloudflare.

Other items work just fine.

The hardware is a Dell R720xd dual socket server with 2x xeon cpu's 12 cores, 24 threads, 224gb ram, nvidia 1050Ti (driver unlocked), connected to the network with 2x 10Gb teamed nic to a 10Gb core switch, then gigabit to all other clients, most are wired. It runs Windows Server 2019 and acts as a hypervisor, it is up to date. emby runs mostly as a service using nssm, but the problem remains running as a service or not. The storage is running Raid 5, the storage backing this library is across 12x SAS 6gb 2TB drives, OS runs on a separate raid array across other SAS 15k drives. The server connects to 2x HD Homerun Duos.

Host OS: Windows Server 2019

Emby Server version: 4.7.8.0

NVIDIA Driver: Studio Driver Version 472.84 (unlocked)

This setup has been like this for several years and has worked just fine until this point.

I am attaching the logs for the transcode and emby server, i tried some with debug on and off, and the 2 shows i was working with was:

Station 19 S06E03 Dancing With Our Hands Tied.ts and Grey's Anatomy S19E03 Let's Talk About Sex.ts, which were also recorded last night.

I kept a copy of the Grey's Anatomy ts file before tdarr caught it. that being said, i can open the files and play in vlc just fine.

I can find no errors in the windows event logs etc.

My testing was done between 1900 - 2200 hrs.

ffmpeg-transcode-46702ba4-1edb-4b76-bc55-fe3be8c11786_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-bdefe812-f6e3-4787-8311-bd59ca718bf8_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-2f7e0dba-f17a-47bf-9b07-fdce9ded728c_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-62406fac-47d3-44d4-b4e2-3b467a8e1361_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-f11fd675-d740-4441-8b9e-764979ca7482_1.txt embyserver (2).txt

Scott D

I am having a similar issue (specifically on Roku devices).  The only fix I have found is to do what you are already doing.  I use the "Convert" option within Emby to make the .ts file into an mkv file at a lower bitrate.  I have reported the problem elsewhere.  Then I have to refresh the metadata for that episode.  Only then will Emby make a bif file to go with it.

The only thing that I am finding to be a commonality is the resolution and fps on the .ts file.  I am finding that anything that is recorded at 60 fps is giving ffmpeg fits.  

I have noticed this behavior since the end of May update.

mallison01

I did see your post, is this happening on any recording you do?

As far as i can tell this may only be happening on recordings from my local OTA ABC channel.

It definitely does not happens on all of them, but when it does happen to be an issue, it is an issue on all clients.

mallison01

So i have a friend that also runs emby, and had him record The Rookie on ABC and it is doing the same thing on his server.

It will make it to about the 7:07 mark and freeze, both on android and windows.

He is running Emby on Docker with Unraid.

mallison01

It stops at the same spot give or take a second or 2, it will do it if i start from the beginning of the show or scrub to a few seconds before the problem spot.

We have reproduced the issue across 2 different servers at 2 different locations, multiple different users and clients.

We have tested a few more shows and it seems to be affecting other recordings as well, not just ABC, it does appear that i can scrub past the problem spot and get it to play after that point if i close the player and play from beginning, then scrub a bit past the problem spot. It will then start pausing sporadically, but will continue to play, at least on this particular episode.

We recorded The Rookie from ABC yesterday and it stopped at 707, Greys anatomy from last Thursday would stop at 757.

Scott D
4 hours ago, mallison01 said:

I did see your post, is this happening on any recording you do?

As far as i can tell this may only be happening on recordings from my local OTA ABC channel.

It definitely does not happens on all of them, but when it does happen to be an issue, it is an issue on all clients.

My problem is occurring on only a few channels that I have recorded.  I even have a problem with playing the same channels in a live stream.  Both channels are 1280x720 at 59.94 fps.  1920x1080 at 29.97 fps have no problem.  I too am using HDHomerun hardware.  I have the quad tune.

mallison01
22 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, when a show stops, if you play it again, does it stop in the same spot, or a random spot?

Do you have any ideas or suggestions? This does not appear to only be affecting my install, but others as well?

Scott D

Found a (potential, still testing) solution to my problem, which is very similar.  I went into Transcoding and chose Advanced.  I then disabled all DX11 decoder/encoder options.  I left the QuickSync options and things seem to be working again.  I am still testing, but recorded programs and live tv seem to be working.

Hope that helps.

Scott D
5 hours ago, mallison01 said:

what are you using for hardware transcoding? nvidia, intel igpu etc?

QuickSync Intel

mallison01

I'm running on Nvidia and on windows.

A friend of mine is also running on Nvidia but on unraid with docker

We are both having the same problem, record a show, no matter what show, hd or not and try to play on any client and it stops around 7min in.

Edited by mallison01
Add more info

Scott D

Have you tried disabling Hardware transcoding all together?   Can you play the recorded file using something like VLC?  My problem seemed to be related to files that were recorded at 60 fps.  All others worked just fine.

Try with no hardware transcoding.  If you get better (maybe not perfect) results, then slowly add back in the decoders/encoders one at a time until the issue returns.

mallison01

Most of my content is 4k HDR with Atmos, even most of my TV shows. Of the terabytes of content the only thing I have any issues with is recorded shows done by emby. I can't seem to watch live TV either, it does the same thing.

I have not had a chance to mess with the advanced settings yet, I have to have hardware transcoding with me having the 4k content and so many users, we also use emby on the go and at places with very slow internet.

I should have time today to work with it.

Last year we didn't have any issues with it and my wife was able to watch all of her shows without issue.

mallison01
On 10/24/2022 at 2:06 PM, Luke said:

Hi, when a show stops, if you play it again, does it stop in the same spot, or a random spot?

15 hours ago, Scott D said:

Have you tried disabling Hardware transcoding all together?   Can you play the recorded file using something like VLC?  My problem seemed to be related to files that were recorded at 60 fps.  All others worked just fine.

Try with no hardware transcoding.  If you get better (maybe not perfect) results, then slowly add back in the decoders/encoders one at a time until the issue returns.

I mentioned in my original post that i can play the ts files directly with vlc just fine. 

i did just try different hardware transcoding settings and no matter what options i try, the same outcome, playback will pause at the same point, tried different shows and new recordings.

i even turned hardware transcoding, tone mapping and subtitle extraction all off, and it still does the same thing.

as of right now, live tv and recordings is broken for me and friends across all clients and multiple servers and platforms.

the only things we have in common are we are using emby, nvidia and hd homerun hardware.

otherwise the hosts and os platforms etc are all different..

the only way i can use a recording is after tdarr converts it, which is still using ffmpeg and my nvidia gpu on the same servers

mallison01

So no matter what i do with hardware or software conversion, any combo, it pauses on playback at the same spot, seems like it is most all recording, hd, non hd etc.

• 11 months later...
mallison01
14 hours ago, Luke said:

@mallison01have you seen this?

My problem was all devices, devices that did not go through a proxy and were directly connected to the emby server with the local ip address.

As far as i can tell, this problem has gone away and i have not seen anything like this in a long time.

I do use pfsense with HAProxy and i do not have any of the websocket stuff setup and i have several external users and none have complained about any issues that i am aware of.

That being said, i know iOS devices are very sensitive to these issues, most of my users are not apple fans and we all use rokus, fire sticks and androids and they work.

I was having this same problem with the nearly all TS files generated by recordings from my OTA HDHomerun devices.  Converting the files to MKV has resolved the problem for me.  Before discovering this solution, the random pauses plagued me on multiple hardware platforms, as well as both Windows and Linux OS's.  My CPU / GPU combination is adequate enough to allow me to run the conversion as a post processing task immediately after the file is created, without impacting other Emby functions. Easy since I only have 2 users.  I started by using FFMPEG to copy the file from one container to another and this allowed nearly all my recordings to direct play on the Roku.  I've recently started compressing the files using the nVidia GPU's h264 codec.  

Edited by richt