Multiple selection of posters, backdrops, logos and thumbnails

CAPRICORNX10X

CAPRICORNX10X
On 10/19/2022 at 12:54 AM, softworkz said:

You can also add as many as you like manually to each item.

They will be switched something like every 30 or 60s when viewing an item.

Ok so I use it and it's nice.

But always when you go into the movie details it will first show backdrop1 and then switch to backdrop 2 and so on.

I think it would be more interesting that it would be chosen randomly at the beginning and so on.

Happy2Play
17 minutes ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

But always when you go into the movie details it will first show backdrop1 and then switch to backdrop 2 and so on.

I think it would be more interesting that it would be chosen randomly at the beginning and so on.

Would recommend that as its own FR.

CAPRICORNX10X
22 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Would recommend that as its own FR.

What will it give?
Everything will be "in the future" anyway

I'm just raising issues or suggestions...I have no expectation that it will be carried out

Happy2Play

True but within a feature request those additional suggestions get lost as they have nothing to do with the topic.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

What will it give?
Everything will be "in the future" anyway

I'm just raising issues or suggestions...I have no expectation that it will be carried out

For FRs, user interest is not the only factor. Another equally important metric is the required effort in development. When something would be very easy to do, it could happen to be picked up even when there would be just moderate user interest.

But once another factor is whether a change would be commonly accepted or whether the reception might be controversial. For example, when looking at this specific suggestion, I would not want it for logos, banners and thumb images. Especially not for the latter, because we (humans) are able to identify things much better in a visual way than just from text, and when the items in my library would be shown with different images in the lists, each time I look at it, this would freak me out because I would have a much harder time to find items.

It doesn't matter that much for backdrops, but still not everybody might like it and prefer to have one specific backdrop to be always shown first. That might require the introduction of an option to control this and having too many options is not desirable either.

That's just to explain how these things and the decision making works. Your best bet - as @Happy2Play already mentioned - is to create a separate FR for this and see how it goes.
Of course this can only happen in the future or in the "future". Whether it will be in the future or in the "future" - you'll have to see 😉 

CAPRICORNX10X
32 minutes ago, softworkz said:

For FRs, user interest is not the only factor. Another equally important metric is the required effort in development. When something would be very easy to do, it could happen to be picked up even when there would be just moderate user interest.

But once another factor is whether a change would be commonly accepted or whether the reception might be controversial. For example, when looking at this specific suggestion, I would not want it for logos, banners and thumb images. Especially not for the latter, because we (humans) are able to identify things much better in a visual way than just from text, and when the items in my library would be shown with different images in the lists, each time I look at it, this would freak me out because I would have a much harder time to find items.

It doesn't matter that much for backdrops, but still not everybody might like it and prefer to have one specific backdrop to be always shown first. That might require the introduction of an option to control this and having too many options is not desirable either.

That's just to explain how these things and the decision making works. Your best bet - as @Happy2Play already mentioned - is to create a separate FR for this and see how it goes.
Of course this can only happen in the future or in the "future". Whether it will be in the future or in the "future" - you'll have to see 😉 

I definitely agree with you that there are preferences.  And each and every one of us likes these and other preferences differently.  Therefore, for example, in this proposal, it should be allowed as an option.  And those who want will use and those who don't won't.

• Like 1

CAPRICORNX10X
35 minutes ago, softworkz said:

The promising future 😎

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

And each and every one of us likes these and other preferences differently.  Therefore, for example, in this proposal, it should be allowed as an option

Hi. Unfortunately, creating options for all of these types of behaviors isn't really a good solution either.

imagine if we had an option for everything like this.  There would be about 64,000 switches for all of them.  No one would ever find or understand them all.  Not to mention the code complexity and bugs that would probably introduce.  You can search for my further explanation of this as I've laid it out multiple times in the past but "just make it an option" is really not usually the best, well, option... :).

There's a very good reason almost all remote controls have gone away from having 100 buttons on them.  So our challenge is to weigh functionality and try to present the features that most people want and only have optional ones when absolutely necessary.  This FR forum is one input into helping us meet that challenge.

• Agree 1

CAPRICORNX10X
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi. Unfortunately, creating options for all of these types of behaviors isn't really a good solution either.

imagine if we had an option for everything like this.  There would be about 64,000 switches for all of them.  No one would ever find or understand them all.  Not to mention the code complexity and bugs that would probably introduce.  You can search for my further explanation of this as I've laid it out multiple times in the past but "just make it an option" is really not usually the best, well, option... :).

There's a very good reason almost all remote controls have gone away from having 100 buttons on them.  So our challenge is to weigh functionality and try to present the features that most people want and only have optional ones when absolutely necessary.  This FR forum is one input into helping us meet that challenge.

Hi, I honestly didn't quite understand how you came to this conclusion?  And how did you arrive at the calculation of 64000 switches?  For example, if you limit any content you can put 5 posters, 5 logos, 5 background images, 5 thumbnails.  Every time you enter it will choose randomly.  5 is a lot?  Limit to 2 for everything.  How does it make it difficult?  And how does it cause chaos?  I really don't know...

17 minutes ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

Hi, I honestly didn't quite understand how you came to this conclusion?  And how did you arrive at the calculation of 64000 switches?  For example, if you limit any content you can put 5 posters, 5 logos, 5 background images, 5 thumbnails.  Every time you enter it will choose randomly.  5 is a lot?  Limit to 2 for everything.  How does it make it difficult?  And how does it cause chaos?  I really don't know...

Hi.  You are only taking into consideration this one feature.  But there are 100s of similar requests for different features.  If all of those were options, the configuration would be so complex that it would be unusable and the program logic so complex that it would be unmaintainable.  That is why we cannot just add every feature people want behind an option.

CAPRICORNX10X
35 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You are only taking into consideration this one feature.  But there are 100s of similar requests for different features.  If all of those were options, the configuration would be so complex that it would be unusable and the program logic so complex that it would be unmaintainable.  That is why we cannot just add every feature people want behind an option.

I'm not talking now about functional requests that can conflict with each other even if it's only as an "option" I'm definitely talking about things that already exist that can be upgraded without making chaos in the code.  Like: if there is already an option to choose more than 1 for a backdrop.  So I ask for an upgrade of this, please apply it not only in backdrop image but also in posters, logos, etc.  And the second request is that if you already allow the replacement of the backdrops images every half a minute from backdrop image 1 to backdrop image 2. I request that it change randomly And in no particular order.

I will never require a brand new request and a brand new function that is not sure whether or not it can be implemented and requested even as an option.  But definitely existing functions that can be upgraded, why not?

CAPRICORNX10X

You know what.....I'll ask it another way.  On what basis do you implement requests?  On what basis did you decide to implement a request, let's say you can choose 5 background images that will change every so often?  Why background images yes and poster no?  Tell me how the decisions are made.

1 hour ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

You know what.....I'll ask it another way.  On what basis do you implement requests?  On what basis did you decide to implement a request, let's say you can choose 5 background images that will change every so often?  Why background images yes and poster no?  Tell me how the decisions are made.

Softworkz went into that a bit above. We have to weigh user interest, complexity (both of use and implementation), size of audience benefitting, industry standards and resources required all together. 

But my response above was specifically about options (setting in the apps or server). Many users believe that their request can be implemented behind an option and that will make everyone happy. I was attempting to describe why that isn't actually the case because there are a lot of hidden costs to options  -  both to the end user and our development.