Problems with (Default-ASS) subtitles

Select25

So, PM is out.

For me it looked like that the shadow was way thicker when the Subs were external.
But as you said, maybe it's some kind of Powerlimit. 

No problem.  External is just a test.  When I check the file we can fix this to start quickly as internal subs as well.

I will download that tomorrow and test.  Clock past midnight now, so time for sleep!

• Like 2

The internal sub is reporting as language 'de-de' which is triggering the loading of a much larger font library.  When you extract it and force the language to 'ger' it uses a more compact font library.  This is why it loads much faster.

We can fix this for the next release.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Select25 said:

Not fixed with the latest 1.4.3

Subs are still glitching and taking forever to show up.

No sorry, that release was quicker than anticipated.

The change will come soon, sorry for the delay.

• Like 1

I tried the newest Version 1.4.4 - now something have Changed..
My X265 Video is now Converting to H264 and it looks like it will try to make the Subtitles External or something like that, but now however how long i wait, no Subs will show up.

2 minutes ago, Select25 said:

I tried the newest Version 1.4.4 - now something have Changed..
My X265 Video is now Converting to H264 and it looks like it will try to make the Subtitles External or something like that, but now however how long i wait, no Subs will show up.

I don't think this should be happening.  Do you have an ffmpeg log on the server?

• Agree 1

There is an issue that should result in a new build soon.  Turn subs off before playback, then select the subs track as soon as playback starts.  You can pause, then select the track.

Your issue isn't fixed yet, we're going to need to fix that on the server side so that if resolves this same issue for all clients rather than patching every client.  Your best workaround is to extract the ass sub stream and rename it to `filename.ger.ass`. Then subs will start in ~10 seconds instead of 50 seconds

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2022 at 9:57 PM, SamES said:

There is an issue that should result in a new build soon.  Turn subs off before playback, then select the subs track as soon as playback starts.  You can pause, then select the track.

Your issue isn't fixed yet, we're going to need to fix that on the server side so that if resolves this same issue for all clients rather than patching every client.  Your best workaround is to extract the ass sub stream and rename it to `filename.ger.ass`. Then subs will start in ~10 seconds instead of 50 seconds

I tried it as you said, turn off subs and then turn them on. The subs will not show up with this method. I think it works when I extract them and rename them as .ger.ass.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Please try the 1.4.6 update that went up this morning and let us know how that compares. Thanks.

This version will fix the subs not starting, you won't need to manually switch them, but you will still have the problem of them taking 40seconds to start as that's not fixed yet

This is the workaround for you until we fix it on the server.

1 hour ago, Select25 said:

think it works when I extract them and rename them as .ger.ass.

• Like 1

Okay I tried the new version and the Subs are Starting now, but as you said it takes about a minute when the Sibs are not renamed and extracted but at least they are working again. Thanks for your hard work btw :) looking forward to the new Server Version.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

I just googled and found this thread. Following up to see if there is a fix. I just noticed both my Samsung tv's, both on the most current version of the emby app, are having this problem only with video files with the ASS subs built in. The subs don't appear. Other sub files, and external SRT subs, work just fine. Hoping there is a fix or some type of update, as I have many anime movies I cannot watch unless I go and find external sub files for all of them.

SamES
3 hours ago, AP123 said:

Hello,

I just googled and found this thread. Following up to see if there is a fix. I just noticed both my Samsung tv's, both on the most current version of the emby app, are having this problem only with video files with the ASS subs built in. The subs don't appear. Other sub files, and external SRT subs, work just fine. Hoping there is a fix or some type of update, as I have many anime movies I cannot watch unless I go and find external sub files for all of them.

What app version number are you using?