Brightness cannot be controlled

Super1

SirKelsaLot

Has there been any movement on this? I'm still experiencing the same. Some movies/videos that have darker scenes are unwatchable as a result. I have to play through through Plex instead. Running 3.3.07 on a Pixel 7. Tried the beta as well and reverted back to the general release.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SirKelsaLot said:

Has there been any movement on this? I'm still experiencing the same. Some movies/videos that have darker scenes are unwatchable as a result. I have to play through through Plex instead. Running 3.3.07 on a Pixel 7. Tried the beta as well and reverted back to the general release.

HI, we're looking into chasing this down. Thanks.

robpaolella

Is this being seriously looked at? I appreciate the responsiveness when new issue are brought up, but this has been going on for close to 8 months and the inconvenience of having to completely restart the app makes the Android app virtually unusable. Can the feature not simply be removed entirely until a solution is found? It's a bit disappointing for a paid user to still be waiting on a fix for this...

• Agree 4

• 1 month later...
SirKelsaLot
On 6/20/2023 at 3:50 PM, Luke said:

HI, we're looking into chasing this down. Thanks.

Is there any update? Still not brightness controls for me on Android.

• Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm experiencing the same issue with my Pixel 7. I suggest introducing an option to disable the brightness control within the player. Then, the control should be concealed, and the app should no longer override the phone's brightness settings.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
negativenull

I have a new Pixel Tablet, and there is no brightness slider either.  Changing system brightness gets overridden when playback begins again.  Display mode changes don't fix anything.

The only work around I've found for this issue is to quit Emby completely by swiping up and swiping the card away, change the brightness manually, then re-open Emby and resume the content.

This isn't great because you're guessing at what the brightness should be instead of getting the preview when you drag the slider, but at least it allows you to change the brightness this way.

• 2 weeks later...

Right after I posted that I noticed that if I put Emby into PIP, I can change the brightness, then full screen the Emby player and it will keep my brightness setting. A little quicker than closing and re-opening the app.

jamesphw
8 minutes ago, Luke said:

Has anyone with this issue updated to android 14?

I updated to Android 14 this morning, and I can confirm the brightness slider shows up.

It's a bit wonky because the brightness slider partially overlaps with other controls now, but at least it's there.

• Thanks 1

negativenull

My phone (Pixel 5a) had a working slider, and was running Android 13.  I'm installing the update to 14 now and will report back.

My tablet (Pixel Tablet) did not have a working slider, and was running Android 13. I'm installing the update to 14 now and will report back.

• Thanks 1

negativenull

Good news!

Upgraded Pixel 5a from 13->14.  Slider bar worked before, and continues to work now.

Upgraded Pixel Tablet from 13->14.  Slider bar didn't work before, but DOES work now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luke said:

For Pixel 7 devices, this was the reason for it not showing up: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1384181#c23

As far as I know it's not required to update to android 14 to get the fix because it's actually in the android system webview. 

It is working for my Pixel 7 Pro on Android 14. Thanks for the help and sorry to have kept bothering you with this when it was a Google problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1