Server Plugin: Transcoding Tests

softworkz
softworkz
Message added by softworkz,

The plugin requires Emby Server 4.8.0.50 or later

It's still trying to load inputManager.js

This comes from this file:

image.png.aea0dc9ab8f7be480b336b010e2f5dbd.png

genericui.js - which version .13 should have patched. 

Can you disable cache like here:

image.png.8702182bf6b61830ec6482e054993f9e.png

and then press F5 to refresh.

SeekingWisdom

my window looks different from yours and am not sure how to get what you have.  it may have been messed up when I shrank the windows to get the largest view of the console

image.thumb.jpeg.e24b6a7f215ee69c1e0c12c719a94ac1.jpeg

I think the 3 different windows were all vertical and somehow there are now 2 of them horizontal with console below them and the line with the cache box is not visible

Happy2Play

Clearing my cache removed it from my Source list.

@SeekingWisdom Click the Network tab.

But what browser?  With console open you should be able to right click the Refresh button and clear cache.

SeekingWisdom

ok you are correct I had to click on the network to get the "disable cache".  I checked that box and then hit F5

i put another jpg but for some reason it is not appearing up here with the text  - but I think this means it has started to run!!!!!!!!

image.jpeg

SeekingWisdom

The little movie you made for me (to configure the setup) in "finishing up" your video had 102 test runs.  I have double checked and mine gives 78 test runs.  Does this mean I missed something?

Also, in Execute test it says "all emby operations will be blocked during test execution" - emby is currently recording a show.  I will have to wait to run the test until tomorrow morning.

The first screen of your script (shown in previous post) says "A source file folder needs to be configured", on the next page it calls it "source file".  Naming should be the same - one or the other.

Edited by SeekingWisdom

32 minutes ago, SeekingWisdom said:

The little movie you made for me (to configure the setup) in "finishing up" your video had 102 test runs.  I have double checked and mine gives 78 test runs.  Does this mean I missed something?

No, this is probably due to different hardware accelerations.

32 minutes ago, SeekingWisdom said:

Also, in Execute test it says "all emby operations will be blocked during test execution" - emby is currently recording a show.  I will have to wait to run the test until tomorrow morning.

It doesn't do any active blocking (yet).

33 minutes ago, SeekingWisdom said:

The first screen of your script (shown in previous post) says "A source file folder needs to be configured", on the next page it calls it "source file".  Naming should be the same - one or the other.

You mean "Test File Folder"? Yes, that's inconsistent.

SeekingWisdom

after running the test what do you want me to put back in this forum for you to look at?  I assume it will be in the output folder?

SeekingWisdom

ok i couldn't wait.  I ran the test and they all failed.  I do not see a *.etra.  The file structure is "outputfolder/FE8E34BDF2B7C/3524E620B33B" where I created the outputfolder and you created the other 2 folders.  The 3524E* folder has Run_1 through Run_78 and temp folders which are all empty.

image.jpeg.83bc6aa9b4835f29718e6bc6fbb012bf.jpeg

image.jpeg.5ecf456b41f50e6a73003b8db955ab0f.jpeg

I did not copy the remainder as they are all "empty"

image.jpeg.8585108648e471cee3615c56c92a6e89.jpeg

above is "results:" for test1

what should I do?

If you answer quickly I may still be on-line, otherwise going to bed and will  execute your instructions in the morning.

Edited by SeekingWisdom

Please go to "Transcoding" and choose "Yes" for hw acceleration and Save.

If it still doesn't work after this, go to "Transcoding" again, choose "Advanced" and Save.

5 minutes ago, slevin7 said:

after the update of the plugin, disable cache, the inputManager is still loaded for me. 
on ubuntu-server.

Yes, I've seen that. On Ubuntu, it cannot patch the files. You would need to grant write permission for genericedit.js and genericui.js - or wait for the next beta.

• Like 1

SeekingWisdom
13 hours ago, softworkz said:

Please go to "Transcoding" and choose "Yes" for hw acceleration and Save.

It was already set to "yes" so I changed it to no and then save and then changed it back to yes and then saved and ran the test.  I got the same results as previously reported. 

13 hours ago, softworkz said:

If it still doesn't work after this, go to "Transcoding" again, choose "Advanced" and Save.

I changed it to advanced and did not change any of the default selection and clicked save.  I re-ran the tests and it appears to be running!

Does the advanced without changing default options yield the same results as "yes" in transcoding?

Does the fact that the missing codecs occurred with the "yes" selection mean that "yes" should not be used (i.e. is broken) or is the codec issue only apply to your plugin?

The run is complete some passed and some failed.  I am including the *.etra file that has the most recent timestamp (there are now 3 directories - one with yesterday date probably the failed test i ran first and two from today.  I would note the filenames appear to be in a random order as the middle one as displayed by synology "file station" is the one with the most recent time that I have included.  It would be nice is your naming convention created directory names that would be displayed by files station for easy identification of the most recent one).

image.jpeg.92ed7d866b1198da4d4c32523fc822d7.jpeg

In the above image the 82B2E... is the one with the most recent timestamp.

On the test page some have "encoding failed" but others have "error" messages.  I am assuming this info is in the included file.  If not I can create screenshots.

Execution on 2022-10-05 0848h.etra

Edited by SeekingWisdom

rbjtech
On 30/09/2022 at 22:04, neik said:

@rbjtech, have you been able to play with this?
If so, how does it compare to your previous test results?

tbh - I've only just seen this thread 🤪 - been busy on lots of otehr stuff.

I'll take a look shortly ...

• Like 1

rbjtech

ok - so I did a few transcode tests - everything 'worked' 

Great job @softworkz !

As per the first post, this gives us a constant 'source' and 'parameters' to work with - which is good, but I would LOVE to see the results anonymized and with permission via an option - upload the raw performance stats, along with the hardware used.  And then present that in a table from within the Plugin vs other users.     An estimated max number of simultaneous transcodes (of the same type) could also be calculated.

Not sure how to get the data uploaded - maybe use the forum login and store there (needs login creds obviously... ) ?  The data upload should be tiny.

Maybe that is on the cards ? 😎

The test below was on an Intel i7 12700K/UHD770 ..

image.png.6770b893ceb64afd9f370cc4fbabb141.png

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

As per the first post, this gives us a constant 'source' and 'parameters' to work with - which is good, but I would LOVE to see the results anonymized

This is surely inspired by some talks we had earlier about performance testing, but the initial focus is about functional testing. Performance plays a role as well, but more in the sense of relative comparison of different configurations and feature usage.

For performance testing and comparison between various user setups, there will be some extra work needed, like:

• Adding a new "Test Area" for "Performance Testing"
  • As we want comparable results, this should not allow that many selections like we do have now for functional testing
    • Maybe just two test files: One H264 1080 with text and graphic subs and one HEVC 4k HDR 
    • For HWA, no combinations, just SW-SW, HW1-HW1, HW2-HW2, etc.
    • For subtitle processing mode, always "Subtitle Filtering" (the future default)
    • For subtitle overlay: Software for SW-SW and Hardware for HWx-HWx
    • For processing: Unscaled and Half-Size (or maybe just unscaled)
    • For tone mapping: None, SW for SW-SW and HW for HWx-HWx
  • An additional selection will be needed: Parallel Executions, maybe with 1, 2 and 4
    (estimations are too likely to be wrong, that's not really useful IMO)
  • The individual ffmpeg logs already contain all the information about hardware, software and driver versions, but that information would need to be included in the *.etrd files

There's no personal information in the *.etrd files, so no special anonymization would be required. But I don't think that the results should be published anonymously - but rather associated with the forum user account. I think, this makes the whole thing more interesting and useful. 
We can list by CPU and GPU models, but there can still be huge differences between two systems having the same values for these, which means that a result set is always specific to a certain user's system. Having such differing results in a list would be pointless and confusing unless you can contact a user to find out why your own results are so different even though the rough parameters are the same.
Also, this brings a little bit of a competitive aspect to the game 🙂 

6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Not sure how to get the data uploaded - maybe use the forum login and store there (needs login creds obviously... ) ?  The data upload should be tiny.

The forum allows OAuth authentication which would allow to make this work without giving your credentials to the server (or the plugin), but I need to think about this.
It doesn't make much sense to have the data files in posts of a forum topic. It rather needs to be processed and aggregated in some way.

So - there's still a way to go, but at least there's a basis now..

• Thanks 1

SeekingWisdom

many of the errors in my results are "Error starting ffmpeg"

I am using the synology DS918+

which ffmpeg         /bin/ffmpeg

/bin/ffmpeg -version         4.1.8 (plus lots of other stuff)

if you go to the ffmpeg site: ffmpeg.org

July 22nd, 2022 ffmpeg 5.1 seems to be latest version

11/6/2018 ffmpeg 4.1 was released (from same site)

@softworkz are you running on synology?  What version of ffmpeg do you have?

Is the version of ffmpeg I have and its maturity to execute VAAPI causing these errors or is it something else?

Edited by SeekingWisdom

Happy2Play

@SeekingWisdom Is that the ffmpeg packaged with Emby?

/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg

If you look in a Emby ffmpeg log you should see version, maybe in server log also.

Not a Synology user but here is Windows for 4.7.8.0

ffprobe version 5.0.0-emby_2022_05_27-u1 Copyright (c) 2007-2022 the FFmpeg developers and softworkz for Emby LLC

Beta version has 5.1.

SeekingWisdom
26 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Is that the ffmpeg packaged with Emby?

image.jpeg.8957bbfef470293e90743271eea4b6a7.jpeg

It looks like the version you referenced is 4.1.8 - same as the one in /bin

I have done some searching and found this from December 2020 in:

https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/20/post/139122

They are trying to use ffmpeg v4.3.1-35 and have DSM 7.0 (synology operating system).  The last of 4 replys says: "Same problem.  Says ffmpeg requiring root access and DSSM 7 won[t allow that."

I have DSM 7.1-42661 Update 4 the most recent version - may be why ffmpeg is "stuck" at older version.

Edited by SeekingWisdom

SeekingWisdom
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@SeekingWisdom What server version?

I am running DSM 7.1-442661 Update 4 (i think the most recent version).

My previous post had it at 8.1 - looks like my touch typing needs some practice. (I will edit that post to correct it)

Edited by SeekingWisdom