Question About Recording Shows

Film Playlist

Film Playlist

I Think I've discovered an 3 issue in regards to TV shows, and I'd like some input on how to resolve. (This happens on both Emby and PLEX).

• I can't record half hour long shows, they cut off after 5-10 minutes of recording. I can only program recording if show is an hour or longer. Is there a work-around?
  • Shows do not record with Season and Episode number. Is there a work-around?
  • Commercials are not automatically taken out. Is there another plugin I can use?

Edited by Film Playlist

Film Playlist
11 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, regarding the recordings ending early, can we please look at an example?

Thanks !

Hi Luke,

I actually discovered the reason why this was happening. According to PLEX support, this has to do with the XML file missing program information. It didn't occur to me until just now, these M3U files are actually feed dumps, and EPG files are not robust at all. So, there is nothing much anyone an do, because even with the best IPTV provider, I'm seeing the same thing (regardless if we use Emby or PLEX)...

However! Would would kind of help if create a "workaround," is if within the M3U Tuner plugin, create a way we can set an ending time. Or even better, a Beginning AND Ending time for feeds that have no program data. This way I can just look at an online TV Guide, and program the time schedule accordingly. For right now, the plugin does not allow us to do that. It relies on the broken EPG.

Edited by Film Playlist

gillmacca01

Not sure what countries programmes you are trying to record without series/episode numbers, but if they are in the US/UK, you can use Emby's own guide data, which not only gives you series/episode numbers, but programme image as well

Film Playlist
20 minutes ago, gillmacca01 said:

Not sure what countries programmes you are trying to record without series/episode numbers, but if they are in the US/UK, you can use Emby's own guide data, which not only gives you series/episode numbers, but programme image as well

I'm actually using several EPG files (USA). Perhaps because the M3U feeds are international/or spead across so many providers, it's impossible to keep the EPG files updated and current. I've tried hard tying to find a "good" EPG file, but I just don't think there are any. Even the IPTV provider I'm paying for now doesn't have one that support a lot of the channels I've selected. In fact, there are also duplicate channels across several playlists.

So, I guess I'll have to deal with this. This is something few people talk about. Not enough to get me to stop using IPTV, but it sure would have made my transition easier, if more people would make this a part of their discussion at the dinner table.

Edited by Film Playlist

Film Playlist
1 hour ago, gillmacca01 said:

I think my only option to getting around this, is to use the "record after" option, and just add 15-20 more minutes to the recording for each TV show..

• 2 weeks later...
Film Playlist
On 10/1/2022 at 1:16 PM, Luke said:

Let us know how you get on with that. Thanks.

The more I learn about IPTV the more frustrated I get. And a lot of it (I think) is because the "real" info I need to know as a new user, just isn't talked about over the net. and I guess there are good reasons for it. In regards to IPTV, I've been working really hard discovering differences between Emby and PLEX, and figuring out what is my best option. Using xTEVE with PLEX, I've discovered that when remapping a channel, there is a category available called "series." I realized that xTEVE tries to automate remapping as much as possible, and put most if not all the the channels as movie categories. This somehow caused the TV shows to cut-off when recording.

When it comes to Emby, I've discovered that Using the "Emby Guide Data," instead of the EPG provided by my provider, works better. I don't get those cut-offs anymore when I remap channel to the "Emby Guide." However, I have too many channels activated., so I have no other choice to use my provider's EPG, and use the "Emby Guide" for channels I have trouble with. I have to be honest, although I don't like Emby's web interface, Emby does seem to handle a lot of channels better than PLEX. PLEX doesn't seem to connect to a lot of channels that Emby does.

the only problem that needs to be looked at regarding this is the commercials. Emby does not cut the commercials out.

Edited by Film Playlist
  • Thanks 1