Episode thumbs don't appear in season folder

chowbok

I noticed that the primary image for an episode appears in a folder as "Episode-thumb", and if you also have a thumb for an episode, it doesn't appear in the directory at all. Can something be changed so that the "real" episode thumb also appears in the season directory?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play

Yes it looks like they go to /metadata/library as landscape images.  But same question what is a thumb/landscape at episode level?

C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\library\aa\aab6cc0af721e0e99e7481b48742c448\landscape.jpg

Happy2Play

Cross discussion here but since this can only be done by you adding this as they do not exist it is an overlooked image process.  By default episode thumb images are a Primary image directly from providers and saved to folder via episode-thumb (populating Primary Image slot).

Okay, so here's my situation. I added a bunch of Primary images to episodes. They don't appear in "Continue Watching", and I'd like them to. I noticed that had I added the images as Thumbs, they would have shown up in Continue Watching. So I'd either like it if a) primary images showed up in "Continue Watching" (which is why I started the other thread); or b) thumb images appeared in the season directories so I could easily copy the primary images over (which is why I started this thread). Does that make sense?

(At this point it would probably make sense to merge the two threads since we're going back and forth between them.)

Happy2Play

Personally would disagree with "a)" unless it was optional.

As for "b)" since this would be a manual process either uploading or script copying existing image to -landscape assuming @Lukechanges these images to exist in Season folder.

But looking at the KB only -thumb is currently supported.

image.png.789ca870c1d3fc8708225c652134cf4c.png

Regarding b), we're pretty much saying the same thing. It's just that I could script copying the images over if they lived in the season directories, but it would be much more difficult to figure out the UUID for every episode and then copy the images to the relevant directory.

12 hours ago, crusher11 said:

{name}-fanart.jpg is valid.

Fanart is the backdrop image for the episode page. That's not what I'm talking about.

crusher11

I don't really know what you're talking about, because I have episode-specific images showing up in Continue Watching with no issue, but I was mostly just noting in response to @Happy2Play's claim that "only -thumb is currently supported" that it's incorrect.

1 minute ago, crusher11 said:

I have episode-specific images showing up in Continue Watching with no issue

Interesting. And you don't have thumbs set for the episodes?

3 hours ago, crusher11 said:

I do. I set them up manually. 

Right, so that's my problem. I never set them up and now I'd have hundreds to add.

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, crusher11 said:
4 hours ago, chowbok said:

Interesting. And you don't have thumbs set for the episodes?

I do. I set them up manually. 

Are you saying yours exist with media?  As adding via UI does not save "*-landscape.ext' with media and cannot be added to season folder.

Happy2Play
6 hours ago, crusher11 said:

I don't add them via the UI, I drop the JPG files directly into the folder. Works fine. 

You are saying you added 1x01-landscape.jpg to folder and they were recognized?  I have yet to see this work on stable or beta.

Yes I see "*-thumb.jpg" and "*-fanart.jpg" work for Primary image and Backdrop, but "*-landscape.jpg" does not.

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, crusher11 said:

I said I was using -fanart, not -landscape. 

I guess I would have to add and delete more images to see this image in CW.

Assuming Show/Season/Episode has all image type the order of precedence for CW is something like Episode "landscape', Series "landscape", Season "landscape", Episode "fanart", Series "fanart", Season "fanart", Episode "Primary".

• 6 months later...
GrimReaper

Lack of handling TV show artwork has been observed. 

Target: Getting actual episode thumbs in CW row. 

Setup: If episode has a thumb image assigned, it'll be the one used in CW row; however, currently, if episode thumbs are available locally/downloaded from providers - in the supported naming scheme <episodefilename>-thumb.ext - they get assigned as primary image for an episode; can't think of any naming convention that would assign an image as thumb - tried with <episodefilename>-landscape.ext with no effect; only if manually added as thumb, image gets assigned as such (though it doesn't get saved with media, even though Save artwork into media folders library option is enabled, likely for the same reason this FR came to be: lack of naming convention for it), but manually assigning image to each episode of each TV show in the library should not even be considered as an alternative. 

The only way I can think of working around this is implementing support for <episodefilename>-landscape.ext in addition to existing <episodefilename>-thumb.ext for episodes, but which would be assigned as thumb as opposed to primary. So, similar to poster/thumb relation, just that in this case both images would be landscape orientation. 

You're saying you prefer to see the episode images in continue watching? What about an option for that?

GrimReaper
14 minutes ago, Luke said:

You're saying you prefer to see the episode images in continue watching? What about an option for that?

My intention was to script-copy existing series thumb as image that would be assigned as thumb for all episodes (but no naming convention to perform that), basically same image as we have now with the addition of CoverArt overlays, lack of which currently is both breaking consistency (as series thumbs which are used as episode thumb substitutes are CA-less, due to its nature) and making my OCD go ballistic, seeing those episodes mixed with CA-overlayed movies; however, that (series thumb) is preferred image to be displayed in CW row, both estetically and functionally; what is desired is to have image assigned as episode thumb there, not actual episode thumb, hence an option would unfortunately not work. 

Edited by GrimReaper

Happy2Play

Since the image does not currently exist, I would think an option to prefer episode image instead of Show thumb in Next Up/CW.  As this I don't believe would be a good global change and would force user to copy existing images/manually apply them.  

But I guess the absence of these images would not affect the majority.

I guess would the same request here.

• Thanks 1