MKV files getting stuck at 33% when transcoding for subtitles

Familia Chapin
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Familia Chapin
5 hours ago, Luke said:

@Familia Chapincan you please try 4.8.0.34? Thanks !

Still not playing, but i see it jumping from 33 to 49 to 97 then back to 33 before it says no compatible streams. I'll get some logs and stuff in a couple hours when i put the kids to bed.

Interesting enough though i noticed was if i select the "resume playing" option, it resumes the previously selected media at the current time of the selected movie. I'll submit logs for those in a separate post later but just thought I'd mention.

1 hour ago, Familia Chapin said:

Still not playing, but i see it jumping from 33 to 49 to 97 then back to 33 before it says no compatible streams. I'll get some logs and stuff in a couple hours when i put the kids to bed.

Interesting enough though i noticed was if i select the "resume playing" option, it resumes the previously selected media at the current time of the selected movie. I'll submit logs for those in a separate post later but just thought I'd mention.

Hi yes, that would be great, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Familia Chapin

Looks like there have been several sever updates and one of them fixed it! I am now able to play those files transcoded. We are good here!

Got one more issue involving Dolby Vision on direct play, but i will start  new thread for that. Thank you!!

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
DaOfficialRolex

Sorry for reviving this thread. But I also just wanted to let you guys know that the beta has definitely solved this issue. My question is more of do other players (not PCs) besides rokus also have to have SSA/ASS subtitles to be transcoded to be formatted as intended or can they be direct play by some players?

DaOfficialRolex

Nevermind the issue is consistent for me. With the server only doing software transcoding I will try to play the video once and the file will remain stuck at 33% attempt to load the stream shortly afterwards fail with the streams being incompatible error and then attempt to load the next video in the series. Then I back out and try again with the video succeeding to load and transcoding as well. This takes place at 2023-08-29 21:52:01.385 in the log.

embyserver.txt

pwhodges
7 hours ago, DaOfficialRolex said:

do other players (not PCs) besides rokus also have to have SSA/ASS subtitles to be transcoded to be formatted as intended or can they be direct play by some players?

ASS subs direct play on Theatre, iOS, and Android clients.  Burning in is required for them on Roku and Web clients.

Paul

5 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Burning in is required for them on Roku

Actually, only if you require the special formatting. If you can live with plain text without animations, etc. Roku can direct play them as well.

pwhodges

I don't count that.  ASS subs for anime (which is the overwhelmingly commonest use of them) usually include things like signs, which may be carefully positioned, angled, and move as the image pans, and these make a mess when not shown as expected.  And then there's karaoke....

Paul

7 hours ago, pwhodges said:

ASS subs direct play on Theatre, iOS, and Android clients.  Burning in is required for them on Roku and Web clients.

Paul

The web app can render the formats without transcoding.

1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

When did that happen?  It certainly wasn't the case in the past.

Paul

A long time ago.

2 hours ago, pwhodges said:

When did that happen?  It certainly wasn't the case in the past.

I've shown a comparison between ASS  burn-in and ASS browser rendering in the first episode of The Emby Show, starting at 07:21:

Edited by softworkz

pwhodges

Yes - that comparison shows that the web client rendering is not adequate - not using the right fonts makes a huge difference.  Signs get really messed up, but not infrequently legibility is compromised because the font used is the wrong size and characters overlap.

I don't have the show for the 7:21 example subs (K-On), but it looks to me as if the burnt-in subs already have the wrong font (it matches the browser rendering in this case) - presumably because your example file is missing them. (Edit - yes the original font is missing - it's not much different, but it's thinner, so the characters which overlap in your example don't in the original.  Because you have the subs with the wrong video, you must have extracted it from elsewhere and remuxed it to a random video forgetting to add the [30!] fonts as well :) ).

Just as we tell users with file-name problems that being "quite like" Emby's requirements is not good enough, so subtitles rendered "quite like" what's intended is also not good enough.  But that's fine - the other clients do the job right, and burn-in does it for the one's that can't.  And anyway as I said, this really only affects anime, as ASS subs are rare outside that context.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

DaOfficialRolex
40 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Just as we tell users with file-name problems that being "quite like" Emby's requirements is not good enough, so subtitles rendered "quite like" what's intended is also no good enough.  But that's fine - the other clients do the job right, and burn-in does it the one's that can't.  And anyway as I said, this really only affects anime, as ASS subs are rare outside that context.

Paul

Yeah it is interesting to see so many other clients format it in a way that doesn't require transcoding to be involved on the server end. With roku being one of the biggest U.S tv box unit clients right now. It is surprising to see them not capitalize on small things like this since the number of people interested in Anime is also ever growing.

36 minutes ago, DaOfficialRolex said:

Yeah it is interesting to see so many other clients format it in a way that doesn't require transcoding to be involved on the server end

You are missing an important point. There doesn't exist any other subtitle format which comes even remotely close to ASS.

Converting just the text is not that much of a problem, of course.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DaOfficialRolex said:

Yeah it is interesting to see so many other clients format it in a way that doesn't require transcoding to be involved on the server end. With roku being one of the biggest U.S tv box unit clients right now. It is surprising to see them not capitalize on small things like this since the number of people interested in Anime is also ever growing.

But what streaming service delivers subtitles in that format?

DaOfficialRolex
1 hour ago, ebr said:

But what streaming service delivers subtitles in that format?

None probably deliver that which probably explains the lack of it. I just find it funny that other smaller clients in terms of U.S marketshare have support for it. Other than that it makes perfect sense in terms of why they wouldn't bother doing it in the first place. LIke having smaller clients such as AndroidTV, Apple TV, and Windows have better support just seems like a miss for Roku, but is understandable when the reality is that most people are using major streaming services.

3 minutes ago, DaOfficialRolex said:

None probably deliver that which probably explains the lack of it. I just find it funny that other smaller clients in terms of U.S marketshare have support for it. Other than that it makes perfect sense in terms of why they wouldn't bother doing it in the first place. LIke having smaller clients such as AndroidTV, Apple TV, and Windows have better support just seems like a miss for Roku, but is understandable when the reality is that most people are using major streaming services.

Our audience is a niche one, even though it is bigger than most think it is nothing close to the mainstream. Smaller players always have to go the extra mile in other areas to try and find ways to look attractive. Roku is the dominant streaming box, they're not in a position where they need to support all these enthusiast formats to pull in extra users.

12 minutes ago, DaOfficialRolex said:

LIke having smaller clients such as AndroidTV

Our SSA rendering on Android is custom.  Roku doesn't have an environment that even really allows such customization.