MKV files getting stuck at 33% when transcoding for subtitles

Familia Chapin
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Familia Chapin

Hi all,

I My Roku TV has been having trouble for the last few months (closer to a year?) with transcoding. The main reason it transcodes is due to ASS subtitles. I previously turned off the option to burn in because i could read just the normal streamed version. I have started watching something though where the placement of subs is important so I cant ignore the issue any more.

When i try to play, it does normal loading to 33% then freezes or sometimes just jumps around and eventually gives an error of "no streams". This isn't all the time though. Some random (to me) times, it will transcode without problem. I've turned off hardware acceleration as an attempt but that didn't change anything...not sure if it even has anything to do with it.

I am on Emby 4.7.6.0. Also worth noting, when i turn on debug mode, my app does not restart and does not give me any options on the home screen to "send log". Even after i close the app and manually restart it. So I put it on debug mode and tried to get logs myself. let me know if i made any mistakes.

I am new to the log thing so i am uploading quite a few. sorry for the overkill.

My base desire is to be able to transcode ASS subtitles.

ffmpeg-transcode-4ee76b4e-8443-458a-a465-b37a4188cdd2_1.txt ffmpeg-directstream-c47813de-a43a-4bc1-9c9d-61c0b44b20c5_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-d2cf9442-93e2-4486-956a-4c8b8587ad3a_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-b00e4aa1-9f52-4fb1-b505-d168ade8d2f5_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-22a6619f-2700-4929-ab0a-0e41ba825875_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-461ef590-8d0d-497b-b8b3-7326858acc43_1.txt

Familia Chapin

embyserver.txtSorry, i meant to upload this one...so i am sorry that i didnt pull the log for that one right away, so it is as of now. i hope that doesnt mess it up. let me know if you need me to recreate the problem again.

@softworkz this is fixed in the beta server, correct?

03:23:31.147 Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?): No such file or directory
03:23:31.147 Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- 
03:23:31.229 Conversion failed!

@Familia Chapin  I believe a fix for this will be coming to the stable server very soon.

13 hours ago, softworkz said:

That depends on whether @Luke has disabled range requests already.

If not, then it's not fixed.

in the log, it looks like this is the issue with the font file, not range requests.

4 hours ago, ebr said:

in the log, it looks like this is the issue with the font file, not range requests.

Yes, depending on where you look at, it looks as if

• a font file doesn't exist
    or
  • the output folder doesn't exist
    or
  • the requested segment file doesn't exist

The core issue is the fact that range requests are enabled at the server:

image.thumb.png.1e1b2f6f24428520e3776cfda9acced8.png

• 5 weeks later...
Familia Chapin

Sorry to bring up old news. So I am considering moving to the BETA but i know I would be stuck with it until the stable version catches up. Do we think the BETA will fix this issue? It would be a cruel joke to encounter other issues in BETA and this issue still happen.

• 4 weeks later...

@Familia Chapin are you still running into this? It seems the Roku video player behaves a little differently now in newer versions of the Roku OS, so you may not see this anymore. 

Please let us know. Thanks !

• 5 months later...
Familia Chapin

Sorry i hit a rough patch at work and haven't had a chance to devote here with kids after work.

This is indeed still happening. No change in behavior.

I have emby set not to burn in SSA subtitles. And it's fine because there aren't any actual styles needed. But there are a couple shows in starting to watch that have a lot of signs and stuff so need the SSA burned in.

Edited by Familia Chapin
typo and clarity

Familia Chapin

I just sent some recent logs through the Roku TV option. The user was Familia and it was sent around 9:45PM EST. I was trying to play "[PuyaSubs!] Kimetsu no Yaiba - Yuukaku-hen - S03E11 [ESP-ENG][1080p][370CDA42]" using the embedded subtitles.

29 minutes ago, Familia Chapin said:

I just sent some recent logs through the Roku TV option. The user was Familia and it was sent around 9:45PM EST. I was trying to play "[PuyaSubs!] Kimetsu no Yaiba - Yuukaku-hen - S03E11 [ESP-ENG][1080p][370CDA42]" using the embedded subtitles.

@Familia Chapin can you please attach the corresponding Emby Server and ffmpeg log files from this attempt? Thanks.

Familia Chapin

Here you go! There are about 15 ffmpeg logs. Though I think those are from each time the server tried to play the file again. I posted the first few so you could see them but le me know if i should upload every one of them.

embyserver-63816768000.txtffmpeg-transcode-d58d4480-c4b6-4f21-abd4-b0366a1bc571_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-61d0c817-710f-4f90-960f-0a405e395c00_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-76b6c4b1-1be2-4568-9906-f7559ef0df03_1.txt

From the app's perspective, it appears something is wrong with the HLS manifest.

Error Code: -5 Message: no valid bitrates

Familia Chapin

Ok I am still not super savvy there. It plays well without transcoding. Just when it transcodes to handle the subtitles. Is the HLS manifest saying there is something wrong with the embedded subtitles?

I have videos from various sources and they all do the same thing when trying to transcode due to subtitles. I can play them and generate logs for them all if you think that would be helpful

3 hours ago, Familia Chapin said:

Ok I am still not super savvy there. It plays well without transcoding. Just when it transcodes to handle the subtitles. Is the HLS manifest saying there is something wrong with the embedded subtitles?

I have videos from various sources and they all do the same thing when trying to transcode due to subtitles. I can play them and generate logs for them all if you think that would be helpful

Sorry, my note was more to Luke and @softworkz(us internally).  Nothing you can do about the HLS manifest :).  I think there are some issues in the beta server here.  Thanks.

Either, Emby Server is still indicating support for range requests or the client is requesting ranges regardless.

1. Emby Server must never indicate support for range requests in case of HLS segments
    => server header "Accept-Ranges" must be set to "none"
  2. If a client issues such request, Emby Server needs to respond with an appropriate http error code 
    (not 416, because this would imply that the server supports range requests and only the requested range would be invalid)

I hope, I won't need to repeat this once another time...

5 hours ago, softworkz said:

Either, Emby Server is still indicating support for range requests or the client is requesting ranges regardless.

1. Emby Server must never indicate support for range requests in case of HLS segments
    => server header "Accept-Ranges" must be set to "none"
  2. If a client issues such request, Emby Server needs to respond with an appropriate http error code 
    (not 416, because this would imply that the server supports range requests and only the requested range would be invalid)

I hope, I won't need to repeat this once another time...

We can quote you next time rather than you having to repeat. This is exactly how it will look shown above. ^_~

• Thanks 1

Familia Chapin

:)

So does this men i just have to wait until it gets fixed in a future version? Is that in the works?

• 2 weeks later...
Familia Chapin

I'm thinking you addressed this on the latest beta update? There was a long that said "various transcode fixes". I see my server update yesterday and ever since it has flawlessly transcoded subtitles quickly and without issue.

Should i mark this as solved?

On 4/23/2023 at 12:04 AM, Familia Chapin said:

I'm thinking you addressed this on the latest beta update? There was a long that said "various transcode fixes". I see my server update yesterday and ever since it has flawlessly transcoded subtitles quickly and without issue.

Should i mark this as solved?

HI, is this still true?

Familia Chapin

Funny you ask. It was working and then i noticed after this last update the other day, i had an issue. It is not an across the board issue though. I have 4 files of the same show. I think 2 come from the same source. I sent  logs at 6:47PM EST. I tried playing all 4 videos consecutively. Only 2 of the 4 worked as you will likely see in the logs. The user was Familia.

This particular video was not available when i first said it was fixed so it could be that this is a bad file and not necessarily due to the update breaking. Not trying to throw stones where i'm not sure.

ffmpeg-transcode-d946e0df-16d5-48d6-a486-d1f68ff0d6e1_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-766de866-da98-4ec8-9fef-16775c232d4d_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-2ef5a420-fcb3-40bc-8d72-ef2544761dc7_1.txt embyserver.txtffmpeg-transcode-a579afdc-b5a0-4507-b763-dbeb65acb876_1.txt

Edited by Familia Chapin
Tried to fix log location in body