Emby Server causes AMD Display Driver to Crash and Freeze PC

dzapme

dzapme

Hi all,

This has been frustrating me and I seem to be having the same issue as another user also with an RX 480 where the issue seems to have gone unresolved. They seem to be using the same GPU as me and encountering the same issue. 

However, one of the solutions in the thread (remove the "d3d11va" line in the hwaccels_4.7.6.0 file) seems to stop the crashing. 

Pulling up dxdiag after it crashes, I see that it reverts to the Microsoft basic display driver in safe mode. I tried upgrading to a beta version of the driver, then purging it and factory resetting the AMD driver and returned it back to stable and it still is causing the crash no matter what version I run. 

I also took a peak at Event Viewer to see if I could find anything and the only thing that seems to be of interest regarding AMD or display drivers with the timing is that Windows reports that "Miniport driver failed to add device.."

What functionality do I lose exactly if Emby doesn't load d3d11va, because it runs fine and no crashing occurs once I remove that line. 

I enabled debug logging and attached my emby server log but I can't make much sense of it.

Thanks! 

Edition    Windows 11 Pro 
Version    21H2
Installed on    ‎2/‎16/‎2022
OS build    22000.832
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.832.0

AMD driver version 22.5.1

embyservercrash.thumb.png.42fdb597cee6a17ba14bfcfd61e1ab46.png

dxdiag.png.2a005e1a69b7053651115e29f0ad378e.png

evtviewererror.png.e4feb5dd4b00ccf7c8a563dc34434d80.png

eventviewer2.png.91a329065dc205eaa20aea0b5380994a.png

embyserver.txt

Hello dzapme,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

• 3 weeks later...

@dzapme 

A graphics driver must not crash - no matter what Emby does, so this is an issue that you should report to AMD.

What you can try meanwhile is different graphics drivers. I don't know which one you have right now, but I would try:

• The Windows driver (included in the OS)
  • The latest AMD driver from their website
  • Also maybe an older AMD driver (but given the other user's experience, it's unlikely that it would change anything)

• 1 month later...