artatgray

artatgray

I'd like to put in a request for a server-side Equalizer. It would incredible useful if it were applied on a User basis - Ex. I could set up multiple User profiles, point them at their corresponding libraries, and switch between users for the EQ I wanted to apply to the output. 

I prefer a Parametric EQ if possible. The reason being is, that many people use EQ correct frequency response errors for both Room and Speakers and the precision of a Parametric is essential for proper tuning. 

I'm  aware that this will probably require transcoding on the server in order to apply it. However, that particular task isn't CPU intensive and Emby already does transcoding on occasion anyway.

Kind regards,
Bill

3 hours ago, artatgray said:

that many people use EQ correct frequency response errors for both Room and Speakers

Hi.  I agree - which makes a user-based option kind of curious here.  The necessary EQ is dependent on the playback environment, not the user.

• Agree 1

artatgray
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I agree - which makes a user-based option kind of curious here.  The necessary EQ is dependent on the playback environment, not the user.

Yes, that's right it is dependent upon environment. However, by attaching a EQ profile to a User the devolpers won't have to go through a process of coding for individual Zones/Rooms as it were.

If they add a Zone/Room feature then people are going to start asking for things like Zone Switching on the fly, Zone Linking, etc., etc..

Simply create a User, an EQ profile for that user, and then add the libraries that User can access and the EQ is applied to all content that User accesses. 

I'm thinking of the simplest way to accomplish this without tons of further software engineering. 

Cheesegeezer

A good tie into your thoughts @artatgray are to allow equaliser option for each genre or a grouped genre in that user profile. 

grouped being something like C&W, rock and acoustic. Just as an example

artatgray
10 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

A good tie into your thoughts @artatgray are to allow equaliser option for each genre or a grouped genre in that user profile. 

grouped being something like C&W, rock and acoustic. Just as an example

No, I'd never use a genre specific EQ. If I own speakers with the proper tonality curve, why would I? Besides, there are other more advanced audio specific packages with that capability, Ex. Roon and JRiver. 

I'm after a basic EQ capability for Room and Speaker Correction pure and simple. 

Now, I do have ways of applying it currently with JRiver. However, I find the remote control and library presentation of Emby to be more to my liking, hence my request. Also, JRiver's CEO is a bit of an ass to deal with on their support forum - it's well known and many say that about him - and I'd rather not give someone like him my money. 

I can apply EQ to Emby output now via a workaround: a combination of Emby Web, AutoEq with the Peace GUI, and Desktop Audio Streamer to route output to Chromecast Audio, which is then remote controlled by Emby Android on my smartphone/tablet. However, that's three additional applications (Emby Web, AutoEq and Desktop Audio Streamer) to run when it would be more efficient to have Emby Server handle it. Fortunately for me I'm a software engineer and can handle such a complicated process, but others might not be so willing to. 

Edited by artatgray