state of Apple TV 4K + Emby?

Jägs

9 hours ago, Crowleyisking said:

Are we going to get any kind of meaningful update to the Apple TV app any time soon? I don't want to sound like a Karen here but if you release an app on a platform then you are obligating yourself to update it. If you don't have the manpower with the relevant time or coding experience to write for Apples platform then you should be open and honest about that. Is there any reason why the Apple TV app lacks the UI or customization of the Android version? The amount of people I see on Reddit who say they just use Infuse and connect to Emby that way should tell you everything you need to know about the state of your app. 

Hi, we have an app update coming soon, so stay tuned.

• Thanks 1

Crowleyisking

@Luke

I hope there is more than that buddy because I asked about a significant update.

Things like playing HDR correctly (triggering HDR notification on the TV).

Updating and customization of the UI to bring it more in line with the Android version etc. 

• 3 months later...
AxSeed

Running Emby on Chromecast 4k atm but want to go ATV 4k in the future.

Are all the problem solved ? About UHD 4k content, Dolby vision, HDR … ?

Jogi1986

no. At least not for me. I still have to watch my Dolby Vision and HDR films with infuse. There is now expanded Dolby Vision support there. watch via apple tv 4k 1st and 2nd generation.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

AxSeed
6 hours ago, Jogi1986 said:

no. At least not for me. I still have to watch my Dolby Vision and HDR films with infuse. There is now expanded Dolby Vision support there. watch via apple tv 4k 1st and 2nd generation.

Great… thank you for the heads up

AxSeed
On 8/19/2022 at 1:53 AM, Luke said:

Improvements are on the way so stay tuned.

Please tell us you have good news about that

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
aperry

I guess I saw this thread too late. I have a couple Nvidia ShieldTV's but I've been trying to move out of the Google ecosystem as opportunities arise. I needed a new streaming client recently, and I thought AppleTV would be a great addition (after reading rave reviews, but apparently the wrong ones). I'm understanding of minor issues and some missing bells and whistles, but smooth and reliable playback is most important and I'm finding that it just takes too much effort and troubleshooting on this device. Fighting with this is sometimes a little embarrassing with family and friends, as we're settling in to watch a movie.

This thread is pretty old at this point. Safe to say we shouldn't realistically expect the same effortless playback experience as a Shield TV, at least anytime soon? Just looking for feedback to help choose a path forward for myself. 

• Agree 1

cvananden
13 minutes ago, aperry said:

I guess I saw this thread too late. I have a couple Nvidia ShieldTV's but I've been trying to move out of the Google ecosystem as opportunities arise. I needed a new streaming client recently, and I thought AppleTV would be a great addition (after reading rave reviews, but apparently the wrong ones). I'm understanding of minor issues and some missing bells and whistles, but smooth and reliable playback is most important and I'm finding that it just takes too much effort and troubleshooting on this device. Fighting with this is sometimes a little embarrassing with family and friends, as we're settling in to watch a movie.

This thread is pretty old at this point. Safe to say we shouldn't realistically expect the same effortless playback experience as a Shield TV, at least anytime soon? Just looking for feedback to help choose a path forward for myself. 

Probably not. I personally like my ATV4k more than my shield pro. You can use infuse as your front end and it’ll connect to Emby and that may improve your experience. 

I use Emby regularly and for the most part it works fine, but it’s definitely lacking

• Agree 1

aperry
28 minutes ago, cvananden said:

Probably not. I personally like my ATV4k more than my shield pro. You can use infuse as your front end and it’ll connect to Emby and that may improve your experience. 

I use Emby regularly and for the most part it works fine, but it’s definitely lacking

Thanks! Yeah, I see Infuse mentioned here a few times, and I plan to set it up and try it out. I like the AppleTV in general, it's wonderful for streaming apps and overall performance and polish IMHO. But I need it to play my media collection as well. Maybe Infuse is the answer.  

cvananden

In my experience, infuse works great. I prefer the Emby menus, especially on my shield over the ATV, but it works smoothly for me. Good luck!

• Agree 1

raudraido

I just realized that Infuse has trailers as well. Somehow they figured it out what Emby can't

Edited by raudraido

• 4 weeks later...
svaughan17

Joining in here, @Lukethis will make my third thread posting about some issues (Spatial Audio google searches lead me here) and obviously that one is an issue+ black screen framerate switch. I've come from the LG TV app (I presume that's Android?) and it's quite STABLE! But seeing some issues with AppleTV 4K 2022 (2024). Can you please share a roadmap or a sprint, github repo with these issues? I'll have to go check. Just would like an update. I'm up to date all the way through. Black screen issue is SUPER annoying for sure, but curious what your fix is and when. Looks like you talked about this last year in the Fall. And then Spatial Audio is another fix I'm waiting for. Thanks!

cvananden
11 hours ago, svaughan17 said:

Joining in here, @Lukethis will make my third thread posting about some issues (Spatial Audio google searches lead me here) and obviously that one is an issue+ black screen framerate switch. I've come from the LG TV app (I presume that's Android?) and it's quite STABLE! But seeing some issues with AppleTV 4K 2022 (2024). Can you please share a roadmap or a sprint, github repo with these issues? I'll have to go check. Just would like an update. I'm up to date all the way through. Black screen issue is SUPER annoying for sure, but curious what your fix is and when. Looks like you talked about this last year in the Fall. And then Spatial Audio is another fix I'm waiting for. Thanks!

I want better syncing for audio on appletv. Never have sync issues with infuse as the front end but MPV seems to have them regularly.

On 3/23/2024 at 11:51 AM, cvananden said:

I want better syncing for audio on appletv. Never have sync issues with infuse as the front end but MPV seems to have them regularly.

Hi, we're looking into this. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
RanmaCanada

Y'all should just give up on Apple TV and move to something that isn't so restrictive. Apple is great for their eco-system, but horrible for anything else, and it is how they designed it. The Emby team has been fighting with this stupid device for years. I've personally told all my users who had an Apple TV to ditch it, or I would be removing them from my server as I was sick and tired of their complaining about things not working (subtitles, HDR, DV, extreme bandwidth restrictions, etc). It's one of those things that just doesn't work out, and yes it sucks, but there is a moment when you have to realize it's either time to move on, from Apple or from Emby by using Infuse.

There are some fights that can't be won, and this appears to be one of those.

cvananden
9 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

Y'all should just give up on Apple TV and move to something that isn't so restrictive. Apple is great for their eco-system, but horrible for anything else, and it is how they designed it. The Emby team has been fighting with this stupid device for years. I've personally told all my users who had an Apple TV to ditch it, or I would be removing them from my server as I was sick and tired of their complaining about things not working (subtitles, HDR, DV, extreme bandwidth restrictions, etc). It's one of those things that just doesn't work out, and yes it sucks, but there is a moment when you have to realize it's either time to move on, from Apple or from Emby by using Infuse.

There are some fights that can't be won, and this appears to be one of those.

Considering how easy it is to just use infuse as the front end, I think your advice is a little over the top. The point here is to provide feedback to get it fixed so you can use the native app. Most of us have also used android setups too, there is a reason we landed on the ATV for certain use cases.

RanmaCanada
32 minutes ago, cvananden said:

Considering how easy it is to just use infuse as the front end, I think your advice is a little over the top. The point here is to provide feedback to get it fixed so you can use the native app. Most of us have also used android setups too, there is a reason we landed on the ATV for certain use cases.

And there is a reason the dev team has been fighting with Apple TV support since its inception..Even Jellyfin hasn't released and updated production of their TV OS software since 2022, and it's still rife with problems.

cvananden
3 minutes ago, RanmaCanada said:

And there is a reason the dev team has been fighting with Apple TV support since its inception..Even Jellyfin hasn't released and updated production of their TV OS software since 2022, and it's still rife with problems.

I don’t see why that means feedback shouldn’t be provided when they currently support the device. You sound like someone that thinks they understand why everyone uses certain devices. 

I’m cross ecosystem myself 

bakes82
On 4/8/2024 at 9:26 AM, RanmaCanada said:

Right emby fights with alot of issues because of poor development choices and lack of skilled developers. Not a device issue lol.  Jellyfin is open source so no wonder they have issues getting people to write niche UIs for tv os that change.  Honestly plex/emby etc should drop all tv os support and just focus on the 3 apple/android/roku

• Agree 1