state of Apple TV 4K + Emby?

Jägs

Jägs

Greetings, all:

I noticed that Amazon has the Apple TV 4K (2021) on sale for Prime Day and I was curious how it performs with Emby?  There was a thread that was discussing this—which I cannot find for some reason—but I was not sure if it was still relevant and a cursory review of this forum did not seem to indicate any major problems, but I thought I'd double check. 

Here's my setup, in case it matters:

• I have Emby Server installed on an ASUSTOR AS5304T.
  • The vast majority of my content are ripped DVDs, Blu-Rays, and UHD discs in MKV format using MakeMKV.

Thanks!

arrbee99

Probably not a good idea to listen to me (you were warned...) but personally, if thats as good a price as it seems to be, I'd buy it anyway. But its not my money. IMHO the Emby Apple TV app is fair to middling, so if it works for you jolly good, otherwise you can use Infuse and link it to your Emby server anyway.

You might want to wait to hear from someone who knows what they're talking about 😀

• Thanks 1

vdatanet
8 hours ago, Jägs said:

I noticed that Amazon has the Apple TV 4K (2021) on sale for Prime Day and I was curious how it performs with Emby?

Apple TV is definitely not the most suitable device to enjoy Emby. Especially if it is necessary to play MKV 4K HDR files.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
VirulentPip
On 13/07/2022 at 12:21, vdatanet said:

Apple TV is definitely not the most suitable device to enjoy Emby. Especially if it is necessary to play MKV 4K HDR files.

I was actually looking at getting one, then saw this... Any particular reason?

vdatanet
26 minutes ago, VirulentPip said:

I was actually looking at getting one, then saw this... Any particular reason?

Problems playing 4K HDR content.

• Thanks 1

rlazaro
On 8/12/2022 at 9:55 AM, vdatanet said:

Problems playing 4K HDR content.

Man I cant believe this is still an issue man. I was a heavy emby user but went back to Plex for this very reason. Sucks to see that AppleTV has yet to improve.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
lawrencecurtis

Apple just announced a new Apple TV with an A15 bionic. My phone with a lesser processor plays hevc 4k hdr with no problem at all. 

Do you anticipate this new box working better as it appears to have better support

HDR10+/HDR10/HLG with HEVC (Main 10 Profile) up to 2160p, 60 fps

hifiaudio2
On 8/18/2022 at 6:53 PM, Luke said:

Improvements are on the way so stay tuned.

Enough improvements to make atv worth looking at, or stick with Shield? 

mike3821
2 hours ago, hifiaudio2 said:

Enough improvements to make atv worth looking at, or stick with Shield? 

Emby on Apple TV has some issues. Maybe once the newest release comes out for Apple TV.

Lexizilla

HI,

emby stand alone on Apple TV is in my opinion useless. 
- Most of HDR / DV Content is not playing correct or smooth
- Auto frame and resolution switching had issues
- transcoding in action, also when the Apple TV is able to play directly

If you combine Emby and Infuse as Player, it is much besser. Infuse shows, what is everything possible with an Apple TV
But you had a next app by side with monthly costs...

But in generell you have to live with two main points:

- Dolby Vision only Profile 5 possible

- HDR 10 only by the brand new 2022 model ( whoever that needs xD )

- Audio Passthrough to your Receiver only as decoded PCM

Abou Audio Passthrough. Thats a topic with a long discussion. Some peaple sad, there is no dirrents, other one, that there is one. 
Since I use a Ziddoo player, I had also the fealing, that diretly passthrough sounds better. Could also depends on your hardware.

My result:
I use still my apple TV for anything else as Emby.
Emby is running on my Ziddoo and that works great :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just received new Apple TV 4K. I just tested Blue-Ray MKV that has 4K HEVC HDR10. This starts to transcode video, but I was hoping to get direct play.

Could it be about TV that is not HDR compatible? I did just check that UE55MU6475 does not seem to be HDR+ certified.

vdatanet
Just now, stuba81 said:

just received new Apple TV 4K. I just tested Blue-Ray MKV that has 4K HEVC HDR10. This starts to transcode video, but I was hoping to get direct play.

I was hoping that three years ago.

hi2hello

It just transcodes but plays 4k content? Consider yourself lucky!
Whatever the reason might be, my Emby App on Apple TV 4k (2020) refuses to play ANY of the few 4k HDR content I have and spits out an error. (By the way: is there any 4k content that is not HDR these days?)

Sidenote: It is content that works fine with infuse and also MrC on ATV

Edited by hi2hello

EddyMerkxs

I said this on another thread, but for me the Apple TV app is perfect, with the exception of lack of HDR mkv support. Was happy to see that SDR mkvs are supported. 

Madflava

Coming over from Android, I was kind of shocked by the Apple TV app. When will intro skipping be added?

Edited by Madflava

23 minutes ago, Madflava said:

Coming over from Android, I was kind of shocked by the Apple TV app. When will intro skipping be added?

We are working on it. Thanks.

• Agree 2

AlKaHall

I have two ATVs (the first 4K model from a couple years ago).  I don't have any local content that is 4K, HDR10, Dolby whatever, etc. so it's a pretty simple setup on both TVs.  I generally have no issues with Emby on AppleTV and I love it.  Most problems I have are caused by me tinkering with something.  

That being said, when issues do crop up (as an example: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/113487-itemsrefresher-error/), I find support to be rather slow with little to no updates on the problem so you're never quite sure if an issue is being worked on or if it fell off their radar as they work on the wonderfully amazing features that always seem to be coming soon.

So when it works, it's wonderful.  But when it isn't, it can be maddening.

• Agree 1

hi2hello

@AlKaHall Like two years ago, I had the same opinion and I would also have been quiet fine with the fact, that 4k is not running properly on emby for ATV. In the meantime, much has changed in the market. 4k is not just established, it is indeed now harder to find any content with 1080p than such in 4k. Same goes for SDR and HDR. 4k HDR IS todays’ standard (for very good reasons). 

For the rest: well said :)

Edited by hi2hello