state of Apple TV 4K + Emby?

Jägs

Eisi2005

Excuse me, but do my files have to be in a certain format in order for them to work? None of my files will play under emby latest version. All run with the plex app. They are standard MKV files 1080p or sometimes 4k with HDR. Or do I have to set something special? It doesn't matter whether you choose automatic or mvp player

Edited by Eisi2005

benoitvinc1

Yep same here. I really want to use emby as my daily driver ... Infuse play fine but the UI and some quirk prevent me from using it as default.

I have actually went back to Plex for most of my watching. Everything works except Atmos.

If emby could come up with HDR / DV support and E-AC3 atmos ... i would be able to kill of that plex instance for life ! 

Finger crossed. 

On 2/26/2023 at 7:55 AM, Eisi2005 said:

Excuse me, but do my files have to be in a certain format in order for them to work? None of my files will play under emby latest version. All run with the plex app. They are standard MKV files 1080p or sometimes 4k with HDR. Or do I have to set something special? It doesn't matter whether you choose automatic or mvp player

They do not. If you're having an issue then we're happy to help:

Thanks !

• 2 months later...
Crowleyisking
On 10/12/2022 at 21:58, Luke said:

Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.

Hi Luke

Do you have a timeline for an update to the App to bring it in line with the Android version? I tried infuse but my GF doesn't like it as it doesn't display enough items in the "Watching" section. So for now, we have gone back to PLEX 😭as she knows how to use that. But we both want to be using Emby. Hopefully we will get full HDR support too. 🙏

7 minutes ago, Crowleyisking said:

Hi Luke

Do you have a timeline for an update to the App to bring it in line with the Android version? I tried infuse but my GF doesn't like it as it doesn't display enough items in the "Watching" section. So for now, we have gone back to PLEX 😭as she knows how to use that. But we both want to be using Emby. Hopefully we will get full HDR support too. 🙏

We are constantly working on improving the app and getting it up to speed with android. Thanks.

Crowleyisking

I know you are bud. But it would be great to have it in the same state as the Android version. Including homescreen customisation 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
a5ian300zx

I would also like the Emby version to be inline with the android version. 

It will be good to have a time line, at the moment I use infuse pro which is good but prefer the layout of emby. 

On 5/20/2023 at 2:09 AM, a5ian300zx said:

I would also like the Emby version to be inline with the android version. 

It will be good to have a time line, at the moment I use infuse pro which is good but prefer the layout of emby. 

We are working hard on getting it there!

• 1 month later...
invisiblescrat

Hi do you have any news on that please?

i just bought an apple tv 4k and i was shocked how it is compared to my android devices. Any reason on why it can’t deal with mkv container while infuse can?

thank you

6 hours ago, invisiblescrat said:

Hi do you have any news on that please?

i just bought an apple tv 4k and i was shocked how it is compared to my android devices. Any reason on why it can’t deal with mkv container while infuse can?

thank you

HI, the apple video player does not support mkv, but we are working on improving our own in-app demuxing. Thanks.

invisiblescrat

Alright thank you for letting me know î’m not too surprised anyway it’s apple 😂

can’t you enable external player on apple tv? And choose infuse for example

or it is blocked as well?

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2022 at 2:58 PM, skuuup said:

Forwarding/rewinding seems to be fixed in this release.

But I am noticing a new issue with some weirdness when backing out of playing content- it goes to a black screen for a second before going back to the previous menu that you were at.

Update- I think this is an issue with my TV/dolby vision + Emby. Still troubleshooting. Not affecting other Apple TV device on different TV

Did you ever find an answer for "black screen when backing out of playing content?" We've been seeing that behavior for quite some time now.

Crowleyisking
12 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Did you ever find an answer for "black screen when backing out of playing content?" We've been seeing that behavior for quite some time now.

Seemed to be fixed for me on a recent update. I'm running public beta for tvOS17

41 minutes ago, Crowleyisking said:

Seemed to be fixed for me on a recent update. I'm running public beta for tvOS17

Thanks. The AppleTV in question is primarily used by a non-verbal autistic child, so running a beta isn't really an option for us.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mike3821 said:

I can’t wait until the app is up to par.

Same.  I have Battlestar:  Galactica ripped from bluray via MakeMKV and it plays fine on even my lowliest of Android TV streamers, but it constantly has an issue on the ATV where the video will go into slow motion but the audio will continue playing normally.  If I pause it, it'll catch up for a second or two and then actually pause.  When I hit play, it resumes fine, for a while.  Really strange.  4K rips can be a bit jerky, too.

I'm waiting for Nvidia to update the Shield and will probably switch back at this point.

raudraido

I just bought new appleTV 4k and as far as I understand, Emby app does not support HDR/Dolby Vision? Also audio is out of sync.

Infuse works great

Edited by raudraido
  • Like 1

On 17/10/2023 at 04:35, caradoc said:

We're still seeing the Apple TV go to a wholly black screen when going "back" out of playing a video.

Do you have ‘Match content & frame rate’ turned in in ATV settings?

raudraido
3 hours ago, nzbadam said:

I tried everything. Emby not working as it should. Same time Infuse works very well.

6 hours ago, nzbadam said:

I did. And now I don't, and that seems to have fixed the "go to a black screen for a couple of seconds when backing out."

vdatanet
19 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I did. And now I don't, and that seems to have fixed the "go to a black screen for a couple of seconds when backing out."

Yes, the black screen is due to the change in frame rate.

bakes82
On 10/17/2023 at 12:15 AM, Jägs said:

I'm waiting for Nvidia to update the Shield and will probably switch back at this point.

Dont believe there is any plans for shield to release a new version, they only released a shield because its the same chips they used for nintendo and they lost that contract.

Crowleyisking

Are we going to get any kind of meaningful update to the Apple TV app any time soon? I don't want to sound like a Karen here but if you release an app on a platform then you are obligating yourself to update it. If you don't have the manpower with the relevant time or coding experience to write for Apples platform then you should be open and honest about that. Is there any reason why the Apple TV app lacks the UI or customization of the Android version? The amount of people I see on Reddit who say they just use Infuse and connect to Emby that way should tell you everything you need to know about the state of your app. 

• Like 3