Updating Emby from 4.6.4.0 to 4.7.5.0

cgcmgr

cgcmgr

Hey everyone,

So I've been noticing that my Emby server never shows that there is an update available whenever I access the settings.  I've been on 4.6.4.0 for quite some time.  I accessed my friend's Emby server today and noticed he is running version 4.7.5.0.  Kind of wondering why my Emby server is not showing there is an update.  My NAS is based on TrueNas and the version is TrueNas -12.0-U8.1.  There are no updates available except for a community release of TrueNas 13.0   Not sure if I should update or not.  My Emby Jail is on Release 12.2-Release-p11.  I'm pretty sure there is an update available.  If I update the jail, will my Emby server finally show that it needs to be updated?  Updating the jail shouldn't affect anything, correct?

Would I be able to just update to 4.7.5.0 without updating the jail or should I update the jail first?  Also, would I be using the emby-server-freebsd12_4.7.5.0_amd64.pkg or the emby-server-freebsd12_4.7.5.0_amd64.tar.xz?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by cgcmgr

cgcmgr

Hey Luke,

I had an issue a while back trying to update to from 4.5.4.0 to 4.6.2.0 due to an ocl-icd dependency that was missing.  Here is the thread in which you and others assisted.  

I was finally able to get my Emby server updated after updating the jail from 11.2-RELEASE-p15 to 12.2-RELEASE-p11.  This broke the Emby server so I then updated to 4.6.2.0 without issue and all was good.  This is where I stand now, no prompts for Emby updates.

This is the command I have used to update to 4.6.2.0 and have used to update Emby every time there was an update available.

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.6.2.0/emby-server-freebsd12_4.6.2.0_amd64.txz

Thanks,

Chris

cgcmgr

Thanks Luke, but the link you provided shows how to update using the package.  I never updated using the package, I always used the below steps:

Stop the Emby Plug-in jail in FreeNas (Not sure if I need to do this)

Open the Shell in FreeNas

iocage console emby
service emby
-server stop

pkg add –f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.6.4.0/emby-server-freebsd12_4.6.4.0_amd64.txz

service emby-server start

Should I follow these steps or should I follow the link you provided.  Also, there is an update to my jail.  Should I update the jail first and then update Emby?  If I update the jail, should I follow your link or my steps to update the Emby server?

Thanks,

Chris

On 7/14/2022 at 6:52 AM, cgcmgr said:

Thanks Luke, but the link you provided shows how to update using the package.  I never updated using the package, I always used the below steps:

Stop the Emby Plug-in jail in FreeNas (Not sure if I need to do this)

Open the Shell in FreeNas

iocage console emby
service emby
-server stop

pkg add –f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.6.4.0/emby-server-freebsd12_4.6.4.0_amd64.txz

service emby-server start

Should I follow these steps or should I follow the link you provided.  Also, there is an update to my jail.  Should I update the jail first and then update Emby?  If I update the jail, should I follow your link or my steps to update the Emby server?

Thanks,

Chris

OK please try this: 

cgcmgr

Hey Luke,

I followed the steps in the link you provided and just like Vidman, I now have 2 Emby servers in my Jail.  Please see the attachment.  Here's what I did:

1. I updated my jail from 12.2-RELEASE-p11 to 12.2-RELEASE-p15 - This broke Emby as I could no longer access it

2. Then then updated the Jail to 12.3-RLEASE-p5 following Pegasus650's steps.

- When I got to this step, I received an error message that the command did not exist.

3. I then just tried doing this - pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.5.0/emby-server-freebsd12_4.7.5.0_amd64.pkg

- I got a message saying it was force installing over itself

- I still cannot access my emby server

4. I finally ran this code:

git clone -b truenas12 https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64.git
cd iocage-amd64
iocage fetch -P emby-server.json dhcp="on" ip6="inherit" allow_mlock="on" --branch truenas12

This is what created the second jail emby-server.  I can access this emby server, and it is on 4.7.5.0., but it is linked to nothing.  It is a fresh install that has to be set up from the beginning.

Any idea how to get my original emby server accessible?  I did see what Alucryd wrote regarding updating an existing emby install and said to do this - 

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.5.0/emby-server-freebsd12_4.7.5.0_amd64.pkg

I did this for the emby jail (my initial jail) and again it just says installing 4.7.5.0 over 4.7.5.0 and when complete, I still cannot access the server.  I can ping the server, but it will not open.

Any idea how to access it?image.thumb.jpeg.eb136cbed54c0f38e57400424b1dee5f.jpeg

cgcmgr

I did notice that my original emby jail says basejail: N/A while the new emby-server jail says Basejail: yes

Do you think this has anything to do with it?image.thumb.jpeg.5c332b999f28dc0bf393108ebb5a4496.jpeg

cgcmgr

I did and I referenced that in my last post.  Here is what I said:

"Any idea how to get my original emby server accessible?  I did see what Alucryd wrote regarding updating an existing emby install and said to do this - 

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.5.0/emby-server-freebsd12_4.7.5.0_amd64.pkg

I did this for the emby jail (my initial jail) and again it just says installing 4.7.5.0 over 4.7.5.0 and when complete, I still cannot access the server.  I can ping the server, but it will not open.

The jail still shows it is on 192.168.2.183, but that IP does not show up in my router.  The new emby-server jail's IP is 192.168.2.181 and that shows in my router.

cgcmgr

Luke, 

I just fixed it.  When following Pegasus650's steps, I was able to do everything, but it kept on failing at allow.mlock = 1; 

It would say the command does not exist.  I never got to try the ip6 = inherit'

Looking at the code you referenced:

git clone -b truenas12 https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64.git
cd iocage-amd64
iocage fetch -P emby-server.json dhcp="on" ip6="inherit" allow_mlock="on" --branch truenas12

I figured since this emby-server jail had to have allow_mlock="on" and ip6="inherit" I decided to compare the properties of the working new emby-server jail and the old nonworking emby jail.  The network properties of the working emby-server jail showed ip6 as inherit.  It was blank for the nonworking emby jail.  Also, the Jail properties of the working emby-server jail had allow_mlock checked, it was not checked on the nonworking emby jail.  I checked allow_mlock and changed ip6 to inherit, started the jail and I was able to gain access.

I'm guessing I was using the incorrect command to set the allow_mlock.  What would the command be if run on its own?

Also, can I just delete the new emby-server jail now that I no longer need it?  Is it as simple as stopping the jail and selecting delete?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Chris

Edited by cgcmgr

Thanks for the feedback !

Also, can I just delete the new emby-server jail now that I no longer need it?  Is it as simple as stopping the jail and selecting delete?

That should be fine, yes.

I'm guessing I was using the incorrect command to set the allow_mlock.  What would the command be if run on its own?

It's probably best to just do it in the truenas web interface.

giacombum

Hello @Luke, I installed Emby server on TrueNAS using the command listed here, without any issue (awesome!). Just a question, what are the commands to update the jail when a new release of the server is available? Should I try to update the jail using TrueNAS commands?

Thanks!

alucryd

Hi guys, yes, for manual jail installs, updating is carried out using the freebsd install instructions, like you would a regular freebsd install.