Windows 10

iam4uk

KarterJK

Well, guess I am  the last user in the US to use it then.  

Umm, I am going to ask on my Silicondust forums, about the number of sales they have had.  Don't know if they will cough that number up.  But I can't imagine that they would dump millions into designing and building a product  that only 50,000 people might buy.

It would be interesting to know how many people who use Win 8 purchased the WMC add-on.  Those would be concrete numbers and MS has them.  I imagine the number is very small (relative to the total) but the install base for 7 is still larger than 8 too so most WMC users are probably still on 7.

The reality is that WMC is a negligible part of the Windows user base from MS' perspective.  The good news, though, is that "negligible" to them is still a quite large absolute number.  So here we are :).

I'm pretty sure, though, that we are the only actively developed product for WMC at this point.

• 7 months later...
claytonb

I brought the WMC add-on for Windows 8, but after a few months I ditched Windows 8 and went back to Windows 7. 

I have been testing Windows 10 since the first preview was released and used my WMC key from Windows 8 on Windows 10 but after a few months I couldn't update the preview builds from Windows Update and found out I had to remove WMC, so who knows if it's going to be available on Windows 10 as a App from the App Store? can not see why M$ can not make extra revenue from the WMC app or something close..

It has already been announced that WMC has been dropped from Windows 10.  It is officially dead.

AdamJD75

Just out of curiosity: why are you all hanging on to wmc? It's been quite a while since I've actually used it but feature wise it seemed to have nothing comparable to the likes of xbmc and the interface didn't look so good either.

Is there some killer feature I've missed that makes it worth using?

Because it works! XBMC, or Kodi as it's called now, just isn't as intuitive as WMC.  Button presses on a WMC Remote make sense with WMC but in Kodi it just doesn't work for me.  Not literally, it performs actions but not what you would expect.  For example, in live TV, pressing up or down will bring up a mini EPG in WMC but in Kodi it just changes the channel.

Maybe it can be altered to act differently but I tried and gave up.  WMC works fine.

Koleckai Silvestri

For example, in live TV, pressing up or down will bring up a mini EPG in WMC but in Kodi it just changes the channel.

The Kodi way is actually how I would expect a remote to work. Thought I've never used WMC seriously. I tried it a few times and it was clunky and hard to use. Wasn't very intuitive in my experience.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Deihmos

Because it works! XBMC, or Kodi as it's called now, just isn't as intuitive as WMC.  Button presses on a WMC Remote make sense with WMC but in Kodi it just doesn't work for me.  Not literally, it performs actions but not what you would expect.  For example, in live TV, pressing up or down will bring up a mini EPG in WMC but in Kodi it just changes the channel.

Maybe it can be altered to act differently but I tried and gave up.  WMC works fine.

The  remote is meant for WMC. If you want to use it properly in Kodi you need to change the settings. Install the MCE Remote addon and it will takecare of it for you. Channel up will then change the channel and the guide button will bring up the guide instead of launching WMC. I agree that WMC works better for TV but that's about it. I have both configured for TV but spend most of the time in Kodi.