Windows 10

iam4uk

But that's still a pretty good sign for Wmc fans. If that's the worst of it then you can bet it will eventually be solved.

• Like 2

browned

I very much doubt WMC will get chopped, it will be another case of get Pro and pay $10 for the WMC license as with 8 and 8.1.

browned

Just out of curiosity: why are you all hanging on to wmc? It's been quite a while since I've actually used it but feature wise it seemed to have nothing comparable to the likes of xbmc and the interface didn't look so good either.

Is there some killer feature I've missed that makes it worth using?

Wife Approval Factor or WAF. Plan and simple to use once setup, Mediabrowser fits into that plain and simple to use once setup category as well so all in all a win win for me :P

shaefurr

Unrelated to MB, but im excited to see how windows 10 UI will be on phones, and how it compares to WP8.1. Interesting to see one OS across all devices.

Such a crappy quality teaser

82995d1412113418t-image112.png

Edited by shaefurr

mangis

I'm going to post feedback to MS to ask that we be able to turn off the silly search icon next to the windows icon in the toolbar since it's redundant.

Here's a way to remove it, unfortunately not the space it was in though.

http://www.howtogeek.com/197607/how-to-hide-the-stupid-search-button-on-the-windows-10-taskbar/

Not the best solution as you have to install additional software but it doesn't use any resources once it has run. I'll definitely be giving the same feedback for this 'feature'

Edited by mangis

Spaceboy

Just out of curiosity: why are you all hanging on to wmc? It's been quite a while since I've actually used it but feature wise it seemed to have nothing comparable to the likes of xbmc and the interface didn't look so good either.

wmc is still many many time better at live tv functionality than any other software out there. its why, for the moment, mb3 hasn't come out of beta testing in my house

• Like 1

saajan4u

got the technical preview downloads of it, and must say.. i actually love it !

cant wait for the official release for it..

my question is.. whats gonna happen to media browser classic?

what is your experience of it so far?

denethor

According to Windows 7 telemetry data:

Our opt-in usage telemetry shows that in July, Windows Media Center was launched by 6% of Windows 7 users globally with the heaviest usage in Russia, Mexico, and Brazil (frequency and time). However, most people are just looking around; only one quarter (25% of 6%) of these people used it for more than 10 minutes per session (individual averages), and in 59% of Media Center sessions (by these 6% of users) we see almost no activity (less than a minute or two of usage). TV was the most common scenario we observed, and not surprisingly, traditional media (DVD and CD) are less common (and declining over time) than streaming and file-based content.
MCE is not a product that has bright future. I think the numbers already decreased significantly with Windows 8 due to separate download.

So for me it is obvious that Media Center will be dropped in Win X. Microsoft live tv and big screen media playback focus will be shifted to XBox One and Xbox live subscription services.

Edited by denethor

gthrift

The Preview Looks great.  I'm not a fan of the search and Task View icons and wish they could be removed.  Search especially seems redundant with the search bar in the start menu.  Task View is basically the same as Alt-Tab and Win-Tab and is also redundant.  

One thing I have noticed is that search seems a little bit slower compared to Windows 8.1 and 7.  I search for a settings like "mouse" and it does take a while for the item to come up.  Apps and Programs do come up quickly though.

As for WMC, I'm glad there is a way to add it and hope it stays in.  I still need it for Live TV, but it there comes a time where MS adds full Live TV with cable card support to the Xbox One, I would drop WMC like a bad habit.  

denethor

The silly thing about Microsoft's stats is that they are based on Opt-In data,

Right but silly or not they are making desicions based on those data. And believe me if you have a good amount of sample for your data, technical and social skills of society is negligible :) You can easily predict the whole picture with max. %1-3 error rate. Edited by denethor

jhoff80

The one thing that I think ensures that it lives on for a long time is that they're already going to have to license guide data for the Xbox One's OneGuide feature... so is there any real additional cost to it for them to maintain WMC without any substantial updates?  I doubt it.

browned

According to Windows 7 telemetry data:

Our opt-in usage telemetry shows that in July, Windows Media Center was launched by 6% of Windows 7 users globally with the heaviest usage in Russia, Mexico, and Brazil (frequency and time). However, most people are just looking around; only one quarter (25% of 6%) of these people used it for more than 10 minutes per session (individual averages), and in 59% of Media Center sessions (by these 6% of users) we see almost no activity (less than a minute or two of usage). TV was the most common scenario we observed, and not surprisingly, traditional media (DVD and CD) are less common (and declining over time) than streaming and file-based content.
MCE is not a product that has bright future. I think the numbers already decreased significantly with Windows 8 due to separate download.

So for me it is obvious that Media Center will be dropped in Win X. Microsoft live tv and big screen media playback focus will be shifted to XBox One and Xbox live subscription services.

The silly thing about Microsoft's stats is that they are based on Opt-In data, so missing out on most tech savy people who opt-out. I have 3 machines that use it and all are opted out and have been since Microsoft started introducing customer improvement apps. I am not saying that this would change anything in regard to actual usage stats if everyone opted in.

but hey look at the removal of the start menu in Windows 8, that was sold to us on the same stats that no one uses it in Vista/7, everyone uses desktop icons so lets make live tiles the new icon. how did that turn out?

Yeah, those stats were with 7.  With 8+ they have more accurate and meaningful to the end issue stats in how many people actually purchased WMC as an add-on.

I think that, if it is basically no work to do so, MS will probably continue to offer WMC as an add-on product.  However, if it complicates their licensing or requires some sort of development on their part to make it compatible, I'd expect to see it not available.

• Like 1

The one thing that I think ensures that it lives on for a long time is that they're already going to have to license guide data for the Xbox One's OneGuide feature... so is there any real additional cost to it for them to maintain WMC without any substantial updates?  I doubt it.

Unless they want to force you to buy an Xbone...

Maleficarum

They were positioning it as a media hub (TV, TV, tv) so it wouldn't surprise me

iam4uk

The benefit of WMC that has yet to be supplanted and surpassed is use as a high-storage-capacity, multi-tuner HD-DVR. Equipped with CableCARD, a WMC-driven HTPC can be the best DVR, by a very, very long shot. That a single device can be that DVR and all other media source is of great value.

If Microsoft want to terminate that usefulness, I hope someone else can step up to provide such capability.

• Like 1

gthrift

Can anyone else recreate this issue:  Search for a document, a picture or any other file you know is on your computer using the search bar under the start menu and right click on it.  Does it freeze the start menu and task bar for you?

Deihmos
gsnerf, on 01 Oct 2014 - 7:34 PM, said:

Live TV with cablecard works best in WMC.

• 5 weeks later...
techywarrior

MS confirmed that Windows 10 will have native support for MKV and HEVC. So that's exciting. I'm sure that the next gen of video cards will have hardware decode of HEVC built in too.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
KarterJK

As a tester, WMC does run within the Windows 10 enviroment (I did it).  There postings have been worded such, that it "is not supported, yet".  

But looking through the feedback, I would be extremely surprised if they were cut it from Windows 10.  There has been a huge uproar about the lack of functionality in WMP, and I think they are trying to remedy that.

I personally think, Microsoft can't cut a whole lot, without the fear of losing more ground.  Last count was that approximately 60 million users (US) use WMC , seems like a lot of people to me, but maybe not to Microsoft.

At this point, I am not all that impressed with Windows 10.  I use Windows only for Live TV (Silicondust HDHomerun Prime) via Comcast and 6 TVs.  Saves us about $50 a month set top boxes.  That is why I am so pleased with the progress of MediaBrowser, who knows what the future stores.

Deihmos

60 million seems like a bit too high. Where did you get the stats? Maybe they open a picture in it but I really cannot see it being that high. Microsoft said not many people were using it.

Edited by Deihmos

KarterJK

60 million seems like a bit too high. Where did you get the stats? Maybe they open a picture in it but I really cannot see it being that high. Microsoft said not many people were using it.

I knew that total would be challenged, I found the stat about a year ago, but I can't remember where (didn't know I would need to).I think it said also that something about, 6-8% of Windows users, use it worldwide.

Regardless, the problem with Media Center IMO, was that it was ahead of it's time and no one knew how to use it.  Honestly, I never used it til about a year and a half ago, always thought it got in the way.  I just didn't understand it's purpose, nor were there a lot of ways to utilize it's TV functions until, Ceton and HDHomerun cards came out.

Edited by KarterJK

The 6-8% number was people who had ever opened WMC once on their machine.  When they weeded that down to people who actually use it the number was more like 1%.  Which is why it basically hasn't been touched in years.