Emby client hangs after playing recording in progress

dougward

dougward

The Emby client on Fire TV hangs after playing a live recording.  Here are the steps to reproduce the error. I running the latest beta 4.7.0.40 on Ubuntu and the latest fire tv client 2.0.71a on second generation fire tv cube.  @cayers said a new Emby server was about to be released.

1. schedule a recording using the guide

2. after the recording starts, go to the 'Recordings' menu and begin playing the active recording

3. At this point the recording being watched is behind the live timeline.

4. when playing finishes, the recording had already completed, it was time shifted.

5. When the recording is finished being played which completes as expected,  the client screen either hangs with the repeated circle, or the screen reverts back to the description of the show being watched.

6. press 'Back' on the Fire TV remote (not rewind, the back or previous button to return to the previous screen)

7. Emby hangs at this point, either with a black screen, or it may eventually fall back to the fire TV main screen.  It is then difficult to start Emby again, I usually resort to going into application management and force close it.

The attached images are pictures of the screen in the order of events, you can see the time.  Image 4 is what displayed after the show finished playing.  Image 5 is what displayed after back was pressed on the remote.  At this point, Emby hung.

I just noticed there is a new release version of Emby, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens.

Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

ffmpeg-directstream-0d32eddb-4300-4675-8bb3-f8a55e8f11d9_1.txt embyserver.txt

dougward

I would say yes.  I always seem to have issues when playing a recording in progress and the playback ends after the recording is finished.  Since there is a new release, I'll install that and try again.

dougward

I just did a very short recording where the program ended before playback on a Windows Emby server (Windows 11 Pro) running the latest stable release (4.7.0.60), and it worked fine. I did get the Circle waiting (image 4) when playback completed, but I was able to press back on the remote and return to the main show screen and Emby was not hung.  I'll try again tonight with a longer recording.

dougward

I've tried this 3 more times on the latest stable release of Emby, and have had no issues with the Emby client hanging.  I'm pretty positive this was happening all of the time on the beta, but perhaps one of the transcoding fixes, fixed it.  There are still a couple of minor issues. 

When playing back a live recording and the playback is behind the timeline, when then end of the playback is reached, playback starts over at the end of the recording at about a minute left.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the default recording options I have set are to start 1 minute before and end 1 minute after the schedule recording.

The other minor issue is when playing back a recording in progress and playback is behind live, if the episode description page is returned to after the recording is finished, there is no option to resume playing where you left off, it only allows you to start at the beginning.

Image 1 is playback during the live recording

image 2 is returning to the episode screen 10:42 into the recording

image 3 is returning to the episode screen 28 minutes into the playback, but the recording is finished. No option to resume.

As I mentioned, these are only a couple of minor issues.

BTW, I tried Pl*x for a month or so because I liked the feature they are trying to add to search and watchlist shows/movies on streaming services.  I've tried Pl*x in the past and can say their live tv module was very buggy.  I can still say, their live TV module is very buggy.  Not to mention, I posted a couple of bugs to their forums with steps to re-create, and I didn't receive one response from any of their tech support.  So, very happy with Emby right now.  I am trying to get off of Channels DVR, but I have Hulu Live, so I use Channels DVR TVE as a tuner and EPG for Emby.  Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Hi, yes when playing a live recording and it becomes completed during playback, that's an area we still need to work on a little bit. Thanks for the feedback.

dougward

I've tried this 3 more times on the latest stable release of Emby, and have had no issues with the Emby client hanging.  I'm pretty positive this was happening all of the time on the beta, but perhaps one of the transcoding fixes, fixed it.  There are still a couple of minor issues. 

When playing back a live recording and the playback is behind the timeline, when then end of the playback is reached, playback starts over at the end of the recording at about a minute left.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the default recording options I have set are to start 1 minute before and end 1 minute after the schedule recording.

The other minor issue is when playing back a recording in progress and playback is behind live, if the episode description page is returned to after the recording is finished, there is no option to resume playing where you left off, it only allows you to start at the beginning.

Image 1 is playback during the live recording

image 2 is returning to the episode screen 10:42 into the recording

image 3 is returning to the episode screen 28 minutes into the playback, but the recording is finished. No option to resume.

As I mentioned, these are only a couple of minor issues.

BTW, I tried Pl*x for a month or so because I liked the feature they are trying to add to search and watchlist shows/movies on streaming services.  I've tried Pl*x in the past and can say their live tv module was very buggy.  I can still say, their live TV module is very buggy.  Not to mention, I posted a couple of bugs to their forums with steps to re-create, and I didn't receive one response from any of their tech support.  So, very happy with Emby right now.  I am trying to get off of Channels DVR, but I have Hulu Live, so I use Channels DVR TVE as a tuner and EPG for Emby.  Thanks.

dougward

OK, it just happened to me again.  I was watching a show that had been recording and I was behind the timeline, the show had finished recording but I hadn't finished watching.  I hit back on the remote which returned me to the program screen (image 1 above)  I was 90 minutes in to a 2 hour recording.  It did not have the resume playing icon, which you had already said you were aware of.  I hit play and the Emby client hung, then eventually turned to a black screen.  The server is Windows 11 Pro.  the amazon client is the latest one posted to your website, 2.0.71a.  Thanks.

ffmpeg-directstream-78418675-9feb-425b-ba5f-f8d3177a0acd_1.txt embyserver (1).txt ffmpeg-directstream-5a9a103b-b12e-45c7-9fa8-6a3e90f3324c_1.txt

dougward

A couple of other issues on that show.  It took several tries to restart the Emby client after it hung.  When I start playing the show over again, then return to the Program screen, it's not giving me the option resume playing at a specified time, and the recording has finished when I try to start/resume.  also, the thumbnail image extraction doesn't seem to be working.  Thumbnails work for recording which were made before the last update, but not now.  for instance the show I just recorded does not have thumbnails.  I even exited Emby, then restarted playing and fast forwarded, and there are no thumbnails. Yes, the recording is finished.  Before this show, I tried your suggestion in this post 

about refreshing metadata and it worked for a recording which had completed since updating to the latest stable Emby.  I did not do the manual process on this latest recording, and there are no thumbnails.  Thanks.

32 minutes ago, dougward said:

I was watching a show that had been recording

Hi.  Exactly how did you start watching it?

dougward

I believe I went to 'Recordings' under live TV, then started Good Morning America.  At the time, Good Morning America was a recording in progress.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3 hours ago, dougward said:

then started Good Morning America

Do you remember exactly how?  Did you open the detail page for it or play it from the screen you showed?

dougward

I have two fire TV cubes.  On one fire tv cube, when starting to play a show, then returning to the show menu as in the Shipping Wars image above, does not give me the option to resume at a specified time.  On the other Fire TV cube, things worked as expected, with a resume time being shown.  On the Cube which was not working, I cleared the cache and data for Emby and uninstalled it, and actually rebooted the cube.  I then reinstalled Emby and still had the same issue.  I went into devices in server management in Emby and removed the offending client/device. I then restarted the Emby client on the Fire TV cube and the resume time now works as expected.  I believe removing the device from Emby, and restarting the client on the Fire Cube fixed it.

I still have the thumbnail issue.  Any suggestions?  thanks.

dougward

On thumbnail issue, today it's working.  Not sure if deleting the device in Emby, restarting Emby server, processes that ran overnight, what fixed it.  I recorded a show this morning and when it was finished, I went back and watched it, fast forwarded, and there were thumbnail images.  Thanks and sorry, but it is working now. 

dougward

Unfortunately, I still have a thumbnail issue.  Should I start a new thread?  I recorded two shows this morning, one right after the other on two different OTA channels.  I started watching both shows after the recordings were finished.  The first show, Good Morning America was fine, thumbnails when I fast forwarded.  The other Show, Sunday Morning, did not have thumbnails.  Attached is the server log. 

embyserver.txt

Do you get seek thumbnail previews when playing in the web app? In the library options, when is the library configured to generate the video preview thumbnails?

dougward

Unfortunately, I already deleted the recording without the thumbnails.  When I created the DVR recordings folder, I did the optional Movies and TV shows folders, so I have three libraries which show up (attached image)  On all three libraries in the settings, I have it create thumbnails when media is added and as a scheduled task (attached image).  As I mentioned, I recorded two shows this morning, one right after the other.  The first one worked fine, the second show did not generate thumbnails.  When I try to manually generate thumbnails in scheduled task section, when I click on the icon to generate, the task doesn't seem to run long enough, and still does not generate thumbnails.  Thanks.

libraries.jpg

thumbnail-generation.jpg

dougward

So, I recorded three shows this morning and another partial show: Good Morning America, Brunch at Bobby's, Trisha's Southern Kitchen, and a partial of our local morning show.  When Good Morning America was finished (and I was watching it while it recorded), thumbnails were created upon completion.  When the other two shows completed, thumbnails were not created (I was not watching them).  One thing I did notice, when playing back the shows that did not have thumbnails, 'Unable to Load subtitle' briefly appeared on the bottom of the show being played back.  Thumbnails do not show up on these shows when viewing from the web as well.  The two shows which did not have thumbnails, were using Channels DVR as a tuner, but I don't think that has affect, since the show Sunday Morning (yesterday) was using the OTA (HD Homerun) tuner and that show did not have thumbnails either. I thought maybe it was TV network related, but Sunday Morning (my local CBS) did not have thumbnails, but a partial recording of our local morning show today (on CBS), did generate thumbnails when I stopped the recording.  I rebooted the server to see if thumbnails were generated for the shows which did not have them, and it did not.  All of these shows end up in the TVShows folder inside EmbyMedia.  When I manually run Thumbnail Image extraction, it completes in less than one second, and no thumbnails are generated.  I've attached four more logs. Embyserver(1).txt is after I manually ran thumbnail image extraction.  Thanks.

embyserver-63788894470.txt embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63788894481.txt embyserver (1).txt

dougward

It appears that thumbnails do not get created when the m3u (channels DVR) tuner is used.  I removed the DVR libraries and Tuners from my Windows installation and recreated them, both the OTA and m3u tuners.  Shows which are recorded on the OTA (HD Homerun) tuner have thumbnails generated when the show is complete, the m3u tuner does not.  I also tried this on my Ubuntu Linux setup, and the same thing happens, no thumbnails on the m3u tuner, but thumbnails do get created on the OTA tuner.  Before this update (not sure exactly which beta and release) thumbnails were generated on the Channels DVR tuner as well, I have recorded movies from the Channels tuner which have thumbnails. Even when I run manual thumbnail creation, shows recorded from the m3u tuner to not get thumbnails generated.  I was thinking of completely removing Emby from my Windows installation and re-installing, but since my Ubuntu machine exhibits the same behavior, I'm not sure.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

dougward

I was wrong, I'm not getting any thumbnails again.  Unless I hear otherwise, I' think I'll do a clean install of Emby, delete registry entries and the appdata folder.

On 5/23/2022 at 10:42 AM, dougward said:

So, I recorded three shows this morning and another partial show: Good Morning America, Brunch at Bobby's, Trisha's Southern Kitchen, and a partial of our local morning show.  When Good Morning America was finished (and I was watching it while it recorded), thumbnails were created upon completion.  When the other two shows completed, thumbnails were not created (I was not watching them).  One thing I did notice, when playing back the shows that did not have thumbnails, 'Unable to Load subtitle' briefly appeared on the bottom of the show being played back.  Thumbnails do not show up on these shows when viewing from the web as well.  The two shows which did not have thumbnails, were using Channels DVR as a tuner, but I don't think that has affect, since the show Sunday Morning (yesterday) was using the OTA (HD Homerun) tuner and that show did not have thumbnails either. I thought maybe it was TV network related, but Sunday Morning (my local CBS) did not have thumbnails, but a partial recording of our local morning show today (on CBS), did generate thumbnails when I stopped the recording.  I rebooted the server to see if thumbnails were generated for the shows which did not have them, and it did not.  All of these shows end up in the TVShows folder inside EmbyMedia.  When I manually run Thumbnail Image extraction, it completes in less than one second, and no thumbnails are generated.  I've attached four more logs. Embyserver(1).txt is after I manually ran thumbnail image extraction.  Thanks.

embyserver-63788894470.txt 5.26 MB · 1 download embyserver.txt 164.31 kB · 0 downloads hardware_detection-63788894481.txt 147.89 kB · 0 downloads embyserver (1).txt 201.14 kB · 0 downloads

Of these four shows, which two did not have thumbnails?

dougward

In the post on Monday at 9:42, Good Morning America and the partial recording of the local morning show on WCIA (CBS) had thumbnails.  The Brunch at Bobby's and Trisha's Southern Kitchen did not.  I just tried again (my two posts today), two OTA and two using the Channels DVR m3u, none of them created thumbnails.  I thought it was tuner related at one point, but now it seems random.  Unless you have another suggestion, I'm willing to uninstall and reinstall as mentioned in my post a couple of hours ago.

dougward

I uninstalled Emby and deleted registry keys that referred to Emby and MediaBrowser, then rebooted. I then installed 4.7.1.0.  I created the dvr/recording library in a different folder from the previous installation.  I recorded 4 programs, two from the OTA HD Homerun tuner and two from the m3u Channels DVR tuner.  The two shows recorded from the HD Homerun tuner, generated thumbnails when complete, the two recordings using the m3u tuner did not.  'World News Tonight' and the 'Morning Show' were from the HD HomeRun tuner, 'Brunch at Bobby's' and 'Flea Market Flip' were recorded from Channels DVR tuner.  All recordings ended up in the EmbyRecordings folder.  In the settings for the library, I did not specify different folders for TV shows and Movies. It's interesting that for the Channels DVR recordings, a season folder was created for the ts files one level down from the main folder for the show and the OTA tuner just created all the files in the program folder for that show.  This is why there are two images for each of the Channels DVR recordings and one image for each of the hd homerun recordings.  I've attached screenshots and logs.  Thanks.

Library - screen shot of library setup

library-settings    screen shot of library thumbnail settings

recordings-folder   screen shot of recordings folder, image of the folder with the 4 recorded shows

brunch-at-bobbys-1    screen shot of recording from Channels DVR tuner

brunch-at-bobbys-2  screen shot of recording from Channels DVR tuner, one level down from the main show folder 

flea-market-flip-1   screen shot of recording from Channels DVR tuner

flea-market-flip-2   screen shot of recording from Channels DVR tuner, one level down from the main show folder 

morning-show   screenshot of recording from hd homerun tuner

word-news-tonight  screen shot of recording from hd homerun tuner

brunch-at-bobbys-1.png

brunch-at-bobbys-2.png

flea-market-flip-1.png

flea-market-flip-2.png

morning-show.png

world-news-tonight.png

recordings-folder.png

embyserver-63789206400.txt embyserver (1).txt