Emby client hangs after playing recording in progress

dougward

dougward

I just recorded a partial program from my OTA HD Homerun tuner and a season folder was created down one level from the show folder, and thumbnails were not created, or at least they don't display.  So it seems, show recordings which have a season folder created, regardless of OTA or m3u, do not get thumbnails created, or at least they don't show up when fast forwarding.  Thumbnails do not show up on when viewing from a browser or the Fire TV app. I'm currently recording a movie from the m3u tuner.  It does not contain a season folder, so I'll update when it's completed.

dougward

The movie recorded on the channels DVR tuner, which did not have a season folder created, did not create thumbnails either.  It does seem like there is some connection between the m3u source, the season folder, and thumbnails, just guessing.  See my previous two posts.  thanks.

dougward

This is what is happening to me.  I just recorded some more shows on the HD home run and Channels DVR (m3u) tuner.  No thumbnails get created when using the Channels DVR tuner whether a season folder is created inside the main show folder or not.  This was proved by recording a movie and formula 1 from ESPN. Both of those shows had no season folder and were recorded on the Channels DVR tuner and no thumbnails were generated.  On the OTA tuner (HD Homerun) thumbnails get created if there is no 'season' folder created under the main show folder.  This was proved by recording 'Today with Hoda and Jenna' no season folder was created  and thumbnails were created.  There were no thumbnails create for 'Hazel' which did create a season folder when recorded on the OTA tuner.  At least that appears to be what is happening to me.

dougward

So while my above post seems to be true as far as the season folders, m3u tuner,  and thumbnails, I also had a show record over the weekend on the OTA tuner which did not  generate a 'season' folder and also did not generate thumbnails.  At this point, thumbnail generation seems kind of random for me.  Any progress on this?  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
dougward

I still have the same results with thumbnail generation.  Thoughts?  Shall I create a new thread or look for one to jump onto about this issue?

• 3 weeks later...
dougward

Yes. I've tried turning off thumbnail generation, turning it back on. Rebooting. Nothing works consistently. When I manually run the scheduled task, it completes in zero seconds.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dougward said:

Any update on this?  I still have problems with this, and I basically did a clean install.

Hi, yes there are cases we're seeing of recordings not always getting thumbnails after the recording has completed. We are looking into that. Thanks.

We'll be having a 4.7.6 maintenance release any day now. Please let us know how that compares for you. Thanks.

dougward

I updated to 4.7.6.  When I manually run image extraction, it still completes in zero seconds.  I tried turning image extraction off, then back on again, still no luck. I recorded a new program and when it was done, there were no thumbnails so it still did not work.  I tested using the web interface and the Amazon client on a Fire TV cube.

dougward

I went into the library settings, set it to never, went back a page, retuned to library settings and turned it back on again.

library-settings-1.jpg

OK. that's not going to impact existing content, which is mentioned at the top of the library settings dialog. try refreshing the metadata on existing affected items.

Then for new items, let us know how it compares without having to do that. Thanks.

dougward

I read a post in the community that said to try turning off thumbnail generation, then turn it back on.  At this point, I figured it wouldn't hurt.  Refreshing metadata from the Library Icon does not work. I've also tried Scan Metadata folder and Scan Media Library from the scheduled tasks.  Both complete in zero seconds and have no effect. 

As far as new content, it behaves the same as before.  Some programs on the OTA tuner will have thumbnails generated and some not, but so far no programs on the Channels DVR TVE tuner generate thumbnails after the show has completed recording.  The TVE tuner and guide work fine in Emby though.

dougward

I tried again this morning, and thumbnails were generated from a short recording on the Channels tuner, Food TV, Delicious Miss Brown. A recording of Buying Alaska from the  Channels Tuner did not generate Thumbnails. A recording of Dennis the Menace from the OTA tuner did not generate thumbnails, but a recording of our local morning show did.  Would you like logs of failures and successes?

dougward

Another point, I recorded Good Morning America yesterday, and thumbnails were created.  I recorded it today, and they were not.  I was watching it as I recorded, though I recorded something else while not watching, and no thumbnails were generated either. I went back and watched GMA 45 minutes after the recording finished, and there were still no thumbnails.

dougward

I just looked again, played GMA, no thumbnails as before. Unchecked 'Played' and hit Refresh metadata on the client (Amazon) now there are thumbnails for GMA.  There are also thumbnails for Dennis the Menace which I mentioned in a previous post.  In fact, after hitting refresh metadata on the client, it looks like all of the previously recorded show have thumbnails.

I just recorded two more shows, no thumbnails were generated when they completed.  I hit Refresh Metadata on the client (fire TV) then thumbnails were there.  In this case, I had to refresh Metadata on both shows.  Also sometimes, the Refresh Metadata icon is not present on the show, clicking and unclicking 'Played' makes the Refresh Metadata icon appear.

1 hour ago, dougward said:

Also sometimes, the Refresh Metadata icon is not present on the show, clicking and unclicking 'Played' makes the Refresh Metadata icon appear.

Hi.  In those situations, the refresh is in the "..." menu.

dougward

It has helped, but I need to Refresh Metadata in order for them to be available. Some recorded shows automatically have thumbnails visible when watching them. Some shows require the need to Refresh Metadata before thumbnails are present. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 4:47 PM, dougward said:

It has helped, but I need to Refresh Metadata in order for them to be available. Some recorded shows automatically have thumbnails visible when watching them. Some shows require the need to Refresh Metadata before thumbnails are present. 

OK we're looking into why that happens with some new recordings, but not all. Thanks.