Clients repeatedly unable to stream videos over the internet

bozrdnag

foghat

The issue I am having I think is similar?  Trying to play over lan, stream to web client on iOS using safari:

- Almost usually, things work as expected

- However, often enough:

1. from the movie detail page click play.

2. brings up web server internal player play button.  Click play.

3. Nothing happens.  No ffmpeg.exe on server, no loading of native ios movie client.

Logs below.

There is the odd time where ffmpeg does kick off on server:

1. internal ios client does not load - thus movie does not play

or

2. you have to click play a second time on web server player and then ios video client loads and then have to click play on ios client and then movie plays.

Do not have logs for this scenario.

In both scenarios above, a restart of the server usually fixes things. Sometimes it takes a couple of restarts.

server-63547941762_iphone_no_transcode.txt

Edited by foghat

jscoys

@@Luke : maybe we could have a status?

Anyway I really think that dev team is working on that problem and that this random bug could be difficult and long to fix.

The problem is only a couple of you have reported this so it is some sort of edge case.  Which means it is very hard to reproduce and, thus, fix and we have very limited resources and time.  We can't provide daily updates on the status of every single thing we are working on so you just have to trust that we're doing what we can.

Thanks.

Scott750

It seems like it has to do with how much transcoding is needed. With the web client to a small screen phone it takes a lot of transcoding and if there's one glitch the server doesn't know to retry or recover.... It just gives up. That's the most annoying part.

jscoys

For my part, it stopped working when the new transcoding feature for ffmpeg has been implemented (Around the 5th or 6th of September if I remember well). Can't say if it is directly related but before that date I have been using the web client over Internet without any problem.

Hope the bug will be fixed soon, we believe in you guys!

Here's the problem. everyone is reporting different things and very few are supplying any debugging information. The best way to get help is to supply the best information you possibly can. Some of you have (thank you), but some of you haven't. Please read here for everything that is needed:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

Stopping in to say "same problem", or "it happened again", doesn't really help. Instead, see the above link about what should be supplied (yes, every time). So far I can obviously acknowledge that you guys are having a problem, but there is no evidence yet of an MBS problem. Whether you're inside the LAN or over the internet, it's all the same to MBS. We feed the data through the pipe no matter where it's going. If there is a bug, chances are it's something completely different from what you think it is, and each of you could very well be suffering from a different problem. But unfortunately I don't know based on the information that's been provided here.

And to the original poster, if people are coming in here posting about issues that seem different or unrelated, then I would tell them to get out and start their own topic, because it is just creating noise and making this issue very difficult to monitor.

Scott750

Luke, I tried playing another movie on my Note 2 Android phone over 4G using the web client .  I enabled Debug logging before starting.  I got about 55 mins into a 1.5 hr movie and then the movie just froze. I tried pause and play but it wouldn't start back up. . Hope this helps determine the issue better. 

MBS - Version 3.0.5366.22005

Here are all the logs with Debug Logging enabled - https://www.dropbox.com/s/xe7d2rfg9f7g561/MB3_Logs_20141003.zip?dl=0

bozrdnag

Luke - I apologize for not providing a debug log in my OP.  I though I had it enabled, but obviously not.  It's hard for me to determine if all these guys' problems are the same as mine or not.  For all I know, it could manifest itself in many different ways.  Anyhow here's where I am at:

The problem seems to be brought on by Roku devices to me.  I know you said it's all the same for MBS, but I can only tell you what I am experiencing.  I have watched hours of video through the web client without having a problem.  When my mom try's playing anything through her Roku it usually never even starts to play.  It'll will say "retrieving" and the progress bar gets to 25-33% and then just sits there.  You can leave it sit for 15 minutes and it doesn't budge.  All of that is my mom's description.  I tried playing my Roku Stick today and it would usually start playing whatever video I tried, but when I tried fast forwarding half way through the video and then hit play I experience the same as her - "retrieving" and the progress bar gets to 25-33% and then just stops.  The video never plays.  One thing for sure - once that happens no device I try will play any video from the Server unless I reboot it.  I tried the fast forwarding thing 3 times and it froze all three times.  Skipping forward in the video does not seem to cause a problem on the web client.

I'm not saying it's related, but I read about the new transcoding engine or whatever a while back and then updated my server and while I can't say this started immediately afterwards (although it could have I don't remember) it was after that these problems started occurring.  I never had this issue once before that I recall.  Anyway, I attached the serve and transcoding log with debugging enabled.  If there's anything I can test, let me know.  I'll gladly do whatever I can to help.

server-63548045141.txt

transcode-2b44d833-54cd-4629-aa38-a6b4370fb3a3.txt

keep in mind if you seek while the server is transcoding, it will take roughly the same amount of time to complete the seek that it took to start the video in the first place. so yes it may seem frozen during that time. although if the transcoder has reached a position beyond where you're seeking then it will be quicker.

bozrdnag

I understand, but I can leave it sit for 10-15 minutes and nothing happens. Normally it only takes about 10-20 seconds in my experience for a video to start. Additionally, like I said, one this happens no client can play a video. No matter if it's hours or a day later.

Edited by bozrdnag

bozrdnag

Just for the heck of it I decided to test your scenario, Luke. It turns out maybe I was too impatient. After letting it sit the video indeed resumed... after 28 minutes! Lol! During that time I could not play anything on any other client. Here are the logs:

Server log: http://1drv.ms/1s1eZcd

Transcode log: http://1drv.ms/1s1f2Vq

Edited by bozrdnag
  • Like 1

voltagexdt

this is exactly what im having an issue with..

I posted logs earlier

before this last beta update, I could stream on many devices at once.

Finally, some concrete information :)

He's reporting an inability to seek during a transcoded stream. It will be looked into. If anyone else's issue is different, please start your own topic with the same kind of information he posted. Thanks.

bozrdnag

Keep in mind that my mom's Roku doesn't seem to even want to start the videos. But it does get stuck on retrieving just like I experienced.

I'll see if I can get her to leave it sit and see if it eventful starts playing.

Edited by bozrdnag

Scott750

Concrete information? The OP who started this thread stated that he couldn't stream video to his devices.... just like many of the people that posted in here. Yet the money post was the guy who couldn't seek a movie on the Roku?? And I'm not trying to put down Bozrdnag in any way, but that's not the issue the majority of us have. And we all included log files just like requested. Yet were blown off as if our issue wasn't important or a valid issue. Unbelievable!

Anytime someone can't play it's not a good thing, so everything reported was tested. nobody is being blown off. but he gave a specific example with a sequence of events that allowed some that allowed some of the behavior to be reproduced.

Scott750

It feels like we were blown off when no one acknowledges our post. Maybe we didn't have an easy fix for our issue, but some feedback on what we posted would help. All i can post is what MBS captures in its logs. I can't help it if what it captures during the issue is worthless.

Edited by Scott750

voltagexdt

I feel the same way.. as I posted this

Webclient loads and loads but never plays

Started last night after I updated server. 

Any ideas?  

on the 25th..of last month

because that's what it does just loads and loads.  I just don't have the patience to wait 28 minutes.

I also posted that when I try to use another device the server crashes.. well not crashes but nothing will work unless I restart it.

and I posted a screenshot of the Samsung tv and logs.

but my post was moved into the alpha area of the forum, then merged into this forum.

heres my idea and I guess a request..

if you guys come up with an update, leave the last version downloadable..

that way if something gets broke, we can always revert back to what worked.

then have an option in the server so we can skip the most recent update number example 3.25211 skip or install

this way we don't miss an update but don't install the one that gives us issues.

I have searched all over the net for a simple older version and couldn't find it, because I was no where near home to fix this. but could log into my pc to do things if needed..

then when you guys aren't working on something else we can install the broke version and post up logs.

I was once a beta tester and I left that because the same thing happened there..  you guys would put out update 1 then 2 then 3 then 4  but 2 broke something but by the time you guys were ready to fix it you were onto update 10..  trying to get one thing incorporated before you took issues a look. and then needed logs for it.

hell I even went back to MB2 just to have things work.  only last few months have I ran 3 again..

anyhow just my 2 cents

I understand, but I can leave it sit for 10-15 minutes and nothing happens. Normally it only takes about 10-20 seconds in my experience for a video to start. Additionally, like I said, one this happens no client can play a video. No matter if it's hours or a day later.

These two issues should be resolved in the latest server. Specifically, seek taking a long time, and having it hold up other clients during the process.