Harware + OS recommendations

Skyobliwind

Skyobliwind

I'm planning to switch mit system from Truenas/Freenas to Proxmox (or do you have any arguments against proxmox and for a different virtualization?).

Emby itself works okey on Truenas, except it doesn't support hardware passthrough for GPU trancoding.

But the main reason to switch is virtualisation for my other machines which doesn't work too well on Truenas.

Atm I'm using a AsRock X470D4U + Ryzen 3600 + LSI SAS 9207-8i SATA / SAS-Controller + 64 GB ECC Ram (ECC was needed for Truenas but I will just keep it).

(Maybe I'll also switch the Ryzen 3600 for my Ryzen 3900x and cap energy at 60w which should work just fine.)

What GPU would you recommend for smooth transcoding performance for multiple clients (possibly 6-10 parallel at peak).

It shouldn't be too energy consuming, so a good mix of performance and efficiency would be nice.

From what I saw Nvidia should be the better pick here?

And what OS do you reccomend for the emby vm?

Are there any advantages in using Windows over Linux? If not I think I'll go for Ubuntu Server.

Skyobliwind

Well it kinda is already virtualized as TrueNas Plugin. There are 2 main reasons:

TrueNas FreeBSD emby Plugin doesn't support GPU passthrough which would improve transcoding speed compared to CPU transcoding.

I'm hosting some more services which run under Truenas BHyve-VMs atm, but Bhyve doesn't support nested virtualization, which I need for some of my VMs.

The question only would be what OS to take for the emby under Proxmox VM? Windows or Linux? And what GPU to pick for good transcoding performance with not too high power demand?