Reasons why I won't renew my Emby premiere and move back to plex or JF

DarKni8

DarKni8

HI guys,

First of all, this is not a rant or hate post this is just my review of things with emby.

Core functionalities 

1.) 4k HEVC HDR just doesn't work in emby or even 4k Non HDR doesn't work. Shared logs here thread didn't go anywhere. Side not here 4k HEVC HDR doesn't work in plex also but they transcode it gracefully to same resolution.

2.) Playlist (Private or sharing playlist) functionality is completely messed up there are threads going back to 3 years in forums and all emby team say is future.

3.) Emby iOS / iPad app is joke. Screen rotation makes it crash.

4.) No auto rotate in android app, why the hell you are giving camera upload functionality in mobile devices when people can't view it properly on their mobile devices synced across?? Also, thread going back to 3 years for same functionality.

5) ASS subtitles not working. Thread here with logs again no reverts from team.

6.) Android TV app status - we all know how it is. My screen goes green suddenly, then I should restart the whole TV to make it work.

Side Functionalities 

1.) Inability to unmatch thew wrongly mapped metadata, again threads going back to 3 years for people asking for this feature.

2.) Activated my IPTV subscription on emby, once removed channel stayed and created problems in logs. Every client became laggy as hell.

Good things about emby

1.) UI is futuristic and good

2.) Local usage is better as compared to others.

3.) Plugins

I see lots of potential in emby but they are not getting the basics right and i think this is where jellyfin is going ahead with its open source nature and plugins and their apps just working. I think jellyfin has already captured emby users when they went closed source but now more damage is done as emby is not laying foundation correct. 

Edited by Raajul

8 hours ago, Raajul said:

Android TV app status - we all know how it is. My screen goes green suddenly, then I should restart the whole TV to make it work.

Hi.  I'm afraid I don't know how that is at all.  Can you please point me to where this is reported so we can take a look?

Thanks.

• Like 1

5) ASS subtitles not working. Thread here with logs again no reverts from team.

We are in the process of working with you on this issue.  The last post in that thread is you saying you will check with a different playback method.

1.) 4k HEVC HDR just doesn't work in emby or even 4k Non HDR doesn't work. Shared logs here thread didn't go anywhere. Side not here 4k HEVC HDR doesn't work in plex also but they transcode it gracefully to same resolution.

We are sorry you are having an issue here (and we are still actively working with you on it) but this is simply not a fair statement.  We understand you are having trouble but most users are not having any trouble playing this type of content.  Issues that only occur for certain content or environments are the hardest to track down.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

DarKni8
2 hours ago, ebr said:

We are sorry you are having an issue here (and we are still actively working with you on it) but this is simply not a fair statement.  We understand you are having trouble but most users are not having any trouble playing this type of content.  Issues that only occur for certain content or environments are the hardest to track down.

Just how gracefully u handled my complaints, I did install emby again to share logs. I wanted to help more but i got fed up of dangling replies.

embyserver (1).txt ffmpeg-transcode-89d343c0-5704-42f7-b352-3fbbcbddba07_1.txt

DarKni8
2 hours ago, ebr said:

We are in the process of working with you on this issue.  The last post in that thread is you saying you will check with a different playback method.

That didnt work out :(

DarKni8

Also, since I got your attention, is there any roadmap for revamp of playlists, auto rotation? There are threads and people asking same from many years.

Like here

Here - I don't know much but how much difficult it would be to make android app respect native android setting.

Also, I would like to appreciate you @ebr , you do know your ways around user. :)

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, RSVR said:

You're flogging a dead horse

What that supposed to mean? We welcome feedback as you already know, but remark like that is not acceptable at all, at least for me.

• Agree 1

Gilgamesh_48
6 hours ago, Abobader said:

What that supposed to mean? We welcome feedback as you already know, but remark like that is not acceptable at all, at least for me.

I know that it is not real common but that phrase, I believe as the OP meant, is quite common in the form "You are beating a dead horse" and it simply means that you are discussing/commenting on a topic hat has already been discussed to death. It simply means that the person saying it believes that no further discussion is needed or wanted.

There is nothing, in my belief, even slightly offensive in it.

I think you should withdraw your comment as your comment itself could be interpreted as an insult to the OP that he/she does not deserve.

Once again flogging = beating. The dead horse does not care and neither does most people BUT beating said horse can be fun because of the large swarms of nice black flies that said beating can produce.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
  • Haha 1

@Gilgamesh_48 

As Admin reply:

When you comment on a thread after 2 weeks with that words, it simply clear that either the Emby dev's or the software  not good and that a false fact and totally worthless post and indicated as a spam. That admin view and best not to try to comment on that.

As Abo reply:

I was about to kick you on the head but I remember you are oldie and from Tennessee :)

• 1 year later...