Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max Black Screen

muller_md

rbjtech
15 hours ago, silentninja said:

Does anyone know if the black screen hdr10+ issue is resolved on the latest fire TV max stick?

Not that I'm aware of - It appears to be an Amazon hardware bug, but it's been with Amazon/Google formally for some time ...

As none of my TV's are HDR10+ anyway - I get around it by converting the HDR10+ stream to Dolby Vision Profile 8 (DV+HDR10).

• 2 months later...
signde

I just picked up the latest 2023 4K Max stick. My Samsung TV supports HDR10+ but does not support DV. 

Playing the DV8 HDR10+ sample posted in this thread, I do not get blank video, but what I get instead is video that has the left edge starting around the 75% mark. I have other files in my library with DV and HDR10+ and they have the same issue.

image.thumb.jpeg.e9859ad1027018f01c4bcca4206912b7.jpeg

Playing the same video in Plex renders correctly and the TV shows it is HDR10+.

Kodi has the same split video playback issue as Emby.

rbjtech

Have a look at the post above yours as that links to a thread that has a lot more detail on the issue.

I've never seen this split issue though - I also wonder what player Plex are using to get around the issue ...

As anything that uses Exoplayer, seems to have 'issues' - be it black screen etc.

signde
7 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Have a look at the post above yours as that links to a thread that has a lot more detail on the issue.

I've never seen this split issue though - I also wonder what player Plex are using to get around the issue ...

As anything that uses Exoplayer, seems to have 'issues' - be it black screen etc.

Thanks. I had scrolled through that thread but didn't dive into the links.

The Jellyfin issue on GitHub there are examples of folks calling what I am seeing "wrapping", saying either either wraps or is blank so this seems to be the same issue.

I found the answer on how Plex fixed this. Basically they strip out the meta data for the HDR profile your TV does not support.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/files-with-both-hdr10-dovi-profile-8-1-metadata-show-blank-black-screen/831617/126

It seems that would be a viable solution for Emby server as well because it seems pretty clear Amazon isn't going to fix it.

• Thanks 2

rbjtech
1 minute ago, signde said:

Thanks. I had scrolled through that thread but didn't dive into the links.

The Jellyfin issue on GitHub there are examples of folks calling what I am seeing "wrapping", saying either either wraps or is blank so this seems to be the same issue.

I found the answer on how Plex fixed this. Basically they strip out the meta data for the HDR profile your TV does not support.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/files-with-both-hdr10-dovi-profile-8-1-metadata-show-blank-black-screen/831617/126

It seems that would be a viable solution for Emby server as well because it seems pretty clear Amazon isn't going to fix it.

Good info on Plex - thanks.   It's essentially what I do by just removing the hdr10+ metadata from the file instead.

The only issue I could see, is I'm not 100% sure if emby would know if it's a DV8/HDR10+ file - because currently, using ffmpeg - they only know the DV or HDR10 details - HDR10+ is not identified...

@ebrIs this something Emby could work with ? as I agree, I don't think Amazon or Exo are going to fix this anytime soon - they have no rationale to do so.

bad_vista

That's exactly what it is. Probably everyone who has the same problem with the black screen uses an LG TV that does not support HDR10+. Plex seems to have managed to exclude unsupported metadata from playback. Emby should definitely do that too.

Is it direct playing in plex or is this something they're doing on the server?

signde
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Is it direct playing in plex or is this something they're doing on the server?

the plex dashboard indicates direct play:

image.png.fafc3b8f0f6e9b8d106eec694ac25e3e.png

i don't know the processing required to strip metadata on the fly but keep in mind this is a dinky little gen2 firestick 4k max so it is not very powerful. i would assume the stripping is happening server side but what do i know.

in testing this again i almost thought i mislead everyone here. i initially played a different combo DV/HDR10+ file in plex and it had the image wrapping issue. i went back to the DV8 / HDR10+ sample posted in this thread and that plays fine.

i compared the two files in media info. sample that plays on the left, sample that wraps on the right:

image.thumb.png.a9e71fe6c0fe345511f5cda64b59c4f4.png

the two appear to be using the same HDR profile however one of them has not populated the title field. I'm guessing this is the field plex is keying off of to decide whether to strip.

when i view the media info in plex for both files, only the sample that plays correctly shows any mention of HDR10+:

image.thumb.png.a6411f2a4f62847471ad68755fce946e.png

all this explains why that plex thread i linked is still running with new complaints saying it's still broken.

what a mess!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
darrenkdean

Before I begin additional testing, I thought I would ask, as this sounds specific to Fire Stick 4K Max & LG TV's.

• Has anyone tested the newest Fire Stick 4K Max?  Does the issue persist?
  • Has anyone confirmed if this is an issue on the Fire TV Cubes & LG TV's as well or if it is isolated to just the Fire Stick 4K Max?

Follow up:

• Appears it's not just LG TV's (Sharp as well) paired with both the original Fire Stick 4K Max & the latest one, that have this issue.
  • From my initial testing, it does not appear, that the Fire TV Cube has this issue, with any brand of TV.

Further follow up:

• Fire Stick 4K Max does not have any issues playing these black screen DV files, when connected to an older Samsung TV.  It appears to be a problem between the 4K Max & specific brands/models of TV's.
  • Is downgrading to the prior Fire Stick 4K (non Max) a solution?  Not everywhere is conducive to the Fire TV Cube.

Best-

Edited by darrenkdean

bad_vista
3 hours ago, darrenkdean said:

Before I begin additional testing, I thought I would ask, as this sounds specific to Fire Stick 4K Max & LG TV's.

I have the newest Fire Stick 4K Max. Yes, the problem still exists.

• Thanks 1

DarrenFabrice
On 11/02/2024 at 18:22, darrenkdean said:

• Has anyone confirmed if this is an issue on the Fire TV Cubes & LG TV's as well or if it is isolated to just the Fire Stick 4K Max?

Follow up:

• Appears it's not just LG TV's (Sharp as well) paired with both the original Fire Stick 4K Max & the latest one, that have this issue.
  • From my initial testing, it does not appear, that the Fire TV Cube has this issue, with any brand of TV.

Further follow up:

• Fire Stick 4K Max does not have any issues playing these black screen DV files, when connected to an older Samsung TV.  It appears to be a problem between the 4K Max & specific brands/models of TV's.
  • Is downgrading to the prior Fire Stick 4K (non Max) a solution?  Not everywhere is conducive to the Fire TV Cube.

Best-

I have the latest FireTV 4k Max and a Sony TV, this is still a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
banderson1311

Is this issue specific to FireTV or would this occur on the latest Google ChromeCast 4K as well?  Was thinking about swapping out the Fire Stick anyway but don't want to just end up with the same problem.

This specific issue is specific to the Fire TV Stick 4K Max as far as I know.

• Agree 1

RanmaCanada
On 03/03/2024 at 07:01, BlackDub said:

no updates? the problem still exists

It's a physical hardware problem with Amazon devices.  If you want to resolve it, use the same tools the release groups used to break the files you have pirated.

• 2 weeks later...
MEB
On 3/10/2024 at 6:59 PM, RanmaCanada said:

It's a physical hardware problem with Amazon devices.  If you want to resolve it, use the same tools the release groups used to break the files you have pirated.

Could someone write up a quick guide to using that to fix the files? Like what settings are being used?

RanmaCanada
2 hours ago, MEB said:

Could someone write up a quick guide to using that to fix the files? Like what settings are being used?

There is a guide on the site I linked.  As long as you know how to read english and follow pictures, you'll be fine.  

• 1 month later...

I read through a few of the threads on this issue and while mine is similar, it's not exactly the same. 

I'm experiencing the black screen issue on previous gen fire tv max (2021 version) when I try to play a video that has both DV and hdr10 (no plus).

My tv only supports hdr10 and not dv or hdr10+.

Emby is direct playing with Exoplayer and audio works but the screen is black. Can't even get the overlay menu to show up.

If I play the same video on plex, it is also direct playing with exoplayer but it displays just fine in hdr10.

Emby recognizes it as Dolby Vision HEVC but lists "Profile 8.1 (HDR10 compatible)"

Should I open a new thread or continue here?

Thanks

Hi, we need to look at being able to fall back to hdr10. Thanks.