Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max Black Screen

muller_md

muller_md

To my regret sometimes when playing so called Dolby Vision Profile 7 MKV files, the screen turns black. When playing the same files on an LG C8, via the Emby App. It plays fine in HDR10.

• 1 year later...
Pepcola619

I have this stick Amazon fire tv stick 4k max, when playing hdr10+ a black screen with sound and no navigation. Played 3 movies with a black screen, and the fourth one plays well. What can be wrong?

embyserver.txt

On 4/18/2023 at 12:33 AM, Pepcola619 said:

I have this stick Amazon fire tv stick 4k max, when playing hdr10+ a black screen with sound and no navigation. Played 3 movies with a black screen, and the fourth one plays well. What can be wrong?

embyserver.txt 995.53 kB · 0 downloads

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

On 4/19/2023 at 10:19 PM, Pepcola619 said:

Similar. Black crane, no navigation, but with sound.

Hi, what exactly do you mean no navigation?

Pepcola619
On 4/20/2023 at 8:28 AM, Pepcola619 said:

Need logs on this app? 

When I press to play a movie, there is sound, but no video, when I press the remote, the interface does not appear.

2 hours ago, Pepcola619 said:

When I press to play a movie, there is sound, but no video, when I press the remote, the interface does not appear.

What did you press on the remote?

Pepcola619
11 hours ago, Luke said:

What did you press on the remote?

Navigation joystick (up, down) to show the rewind bar, custom standard buttons.

Joystick?  Is this a game controller?

If even the UI doesn't come up I suspect the TV being in some sort of incorrect mode.  Do you have any features to match framerate turned on?

Pepcola619
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Joystick?  Is this a game controller?

If even the UI doesn't come up I suspect the TV being in some sort of incorrect mode.  Do you have any features to match framerate turned on?

I mean the joystick on the remote. Yes, I have afr toggle enabled and screen resolution enabled. On other films, everything works well. Only on hdr10 + in three films, everything works on 4 too. I tried the same movies, but on a different set-top box, everything is ok, only the mode is not hdr10 +. And on this one I see that the TV switched to just hdr format, not 10+. There are no images. Through vimu player everything shows as it should.

On 4/24/2023 at 6:34 AM, Luke said:

Pepcola619
40 minutes ago, Pepcola619 said:

I tried the same movies, but on a different box, everything is ok,  the mode is hdr10 +. And on this one I see that the TV switched to just hdr format, not 10+. There are no images. Through vimu player everything shows as it should.

rbjtech

Hi - Any news here please ?

@ebr

I've just sent a log from the AndroidTV App - 9:37 GMT - User - Will

I had to send the log from another video straight after the Blank Screen - as you get no OSD with the Blank Screen.

Audio plays ok and tv remote is responsive (pause etc appears to work fine) but no display.

HDR seems fine - but any form of DV (tried DV7 and DV8) appears to NOT fallback to HDR (in the case of DV7) or play if DV8.

However, I do have a couple of DV8 that DO play ok - and trigger the DV Notification on the TV.   So it may be a 'flag' issue (hev1 instead of dvhe) which I will investigate myself but it would be useful to find out what the TV is reporting it can play.  Hopefully this will be in the log I sent.

Same issue on the latest Android App.

Also tried the same Fire TV 4K Max on my LG TV - same issues, no display or OSD but the TV itself displays the DV symbol - for both DV8 and DV7.

Thanks.

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech

update - so I've done some more digging - and figured out it's DV + HDR10+ that has the issue.  DV5 or DV8 + HDR10 does not - that works fine (and displays as DV8 just fine on the tested TV).

So, I can convert the DV7/HDR10 files to DV8/HDR10 without issues, but just need to convert the HDR10+ values (average I guess) to a suitable HDR10 value, which should be simple enough - and then recreate the DV7/HDR10+ files to be DV8/HDR10.

Wow - you gotta love Dolby .. 🙄

9 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Hi - Any news here please ?

@ebr

I've just sent a log from the AndroidTV App - 9:37 GMT - User - Will

I had to send the log from another video straight after the Blank Screen - as you get no OSD with the Blank Screen.

Audio plays ok and tv remote is responsive (pause etc appears to work fine) but no display.

HDR seems fine - but any form of DV (tried DV7 and DV8) appears to NOT fallback to HDR (in the case of DV7) or play if DV8.

However, I do have a couple of DV8 that DO play ok - and trigger the DV Notification on the TV.   So it may be a 'flag' issue (hev1 instead of dvhe) which I will investigate myself but it would be useful to find out what the TV is reporting it can play.  Hopefully this will be in the log I sent.

Also tried the same Fire TV 4K Max on my LG TV - same issues, no display or OSD but the TV itself displays the DV symbol - for both DV8 and DV7.

Thanks.

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

Thanks.

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Thanks.

9 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Same issues I'm afraid Luke as I said in the post.

I believe it's the FireTV 4K Max that has the issue as the Shield plays them fine (on both Apps - ATV and Android). 

I'd be interested on what the FTV 4K Max is reporting to Emby on what it can play - I *think* it is possibly mis reporting for a DV7 and HDR10+ combo - it 'should' be dropping to HDR10 but is not.  Same for DV8 and HDR10+ (should play as just DV8 - as DV8/HDR10 works just fine).

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rbjtech said:

no display or OSD

If even the OSD doesn't show then this has to be at the TV/display level - like it is in an incompatible mode.  Did your Fire stick recently receive a firmware update?

rbjtech
9 hours ago, ebr said:

If even the OSD doesn't show then this has to be at the TV/display level - like it is in an incompatible mode.  Did your Fire stick recently receive a firmware update?

Not that I'm aware of.

So it's definitely the FireTV Stick Max itself I agree 100%.   It's not the TV as I can reproduce on my main LG TV.

So there are two scenario's where it fails and produces a black screen :-

1. Any form of DV7 - with HDR10 or HDR10+

Expected behaviour as the FTVS Max does not support Profile 7 is it falls back to HDR10.

2. Any form of DV8 - with HDR10+

Expected behaviour as the FTVS Max plays DV8 is it just plays the DV8 (or if not, then falls back to HDR10 OR HDR10+).

--

What's working :-

1. DV8/HDR10 - Plays with zero issues by triggering both DV (if the TV is capable) or HDR10 (if not).
  2. HDR10 - Zero issues.
  3. HDR10+ - Zero issues.

--

Successful conversions using dovitool :- 

1. DV7/HDR10 to DV8/HDR10
  2. DV7/HDR10+ to DV8/HDR10 (stripping the HDR10+ Metadata)

So ideally, if emby can 'workaround' the issue then great - if not, I'll have to convert to the DV8/HDR10 combo - which while not ideal, is probably better long term anyway as the only mainstream device that supports DV7 is the Shield.

Pls let me know if you need any further testing.

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
jibenito

I've the same problem with my Fire TV Max, new 4k files only show black screen (more grey than black 😀) and sound.

Any news with this problem?

Thanks!!!

rbjtech

I've worked around the issue by converting the DV7 files to DV8.  No issues after that.

But emby is probably trying to set a screen mode that does not exist when you try and use a DV7 file - it SHOULD drop to HDR10 (as none of the Amazon sticks support DV7), but does not.

• 2 months later...
ferdaze

Checking in on this... Has there been any movement on a fix beyond converting the files? Maybe a FireTV stick profile change?

On the conversion temp path...

I have never used Tdarr before. Is there a easy way to have it find these and auto convert as rbjtech has done with dovitool?

1 hour ago, ferdaze said:

Checking in on this... Has there been any movement on a fix beyond converting the files? Maybe a FireTV stick profile change?

On the conversion temp path...

I have never used Tdarr before. Is there a easy way to have it find these and auto convert as rbjtech has done with dovitool?

Thanks.