Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max Black Screen

muller_md

rbjtech

I've been part of the threads on github reporting these issues.     The key issue is HDR10PLUS and DV - simply does not work unless you strip the HDR10PLUS metadata, leaving just HDR10.   HDR10 and DV (to make DV8) DOES work just fine however, but the 4K Max seems to be very strict on the format.   I've found remuxing/correcting with the dovi scripts from RESET_999 does the trick, and I have 100% success rate here.

This is with the standard AndroidTV/FireTV Emby client - it works just fine.

rbjtech
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you provide a sample video for testing? Thanks.

Hi @Luke

Two 20Mb example files below

Amazon Fire TV 4K Max Shield Pro 2019
DV8 (DV + HDR10) Plays DV Video + Sound Plays DV Video + Sound
DV8 (DV + HDR10Plus) Black Screen + Sound Only Plays DV Video + Sound

Thanks.

DV8_HDR10.mkv DV8_HDR10Plus.mkv

• 1 month later...
DarrenFabrice

Has there been an update on this? Same problem here using a Fire Stick 4k Max with Dolby Vision files. Having to use plex to playback Dolby Vision files at the moment.

rbjtech
12 hours ago, DarrenFabrice said:

Has there been an update on this? Same problem here using a Fire Stick 4k Max with Dolby Vision files. Having to use plex to playback Dolby Vision files at the moment.

I'm following the thread on github to the Exo Devs - they are aware, have acknowledged the issue and are 'working on it'.   A few chases last week, but no news yet.   I guess Google need to work with Amazon - so we just need to 'wait'.

I solved it by removing the HDR10+ metadata, leaving just HDR10.  Now I have no issues with HDR10 or DV+HDR10.   As I have no HDR10+ devices anyway (only HDR10 or DV) - this is no big deal for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
rbjtech
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Have the latest app builds helped?

I thought this was an Exo/Amazon FireTV Max  issue Luke ?  Have you done something specific in Emby to resolve ?  If yes, happy to retest !

Thanks.

DarrenFabrice
On 11/09/2023 at 03:27, Luke said:

Have the latest app builds helped?

TerraMaster Server: 4.8.0.46
Android TV App: 2.0.93a
Playback device: Amazon FireStick 4k Max (Amazon O.S: 7.6.5.2)

I just upgraded and can confirm I still have a blank screen (with sound) on any Dolby Vision files when playing on the Amazon Firestick 4k Max

Silentninjabob

This is also happening on my fire TV max stick I haven't gone through specific files like others in this thread but newer content doesn't work and older content does.

As a fix if I find my way with the tactile sounds only through the menu and hit the playback correction button it works again. I haven't read up on what the button does but it fixes the black screen issue if you can find it without looking.

Edited by Silentninjabob

rbjtech
16 hours ago, DarrenFabrice said:

TerraMaster Server: 4.8.0.46
Android TV App: 2.0.93a
Playback device: Amazon FireStick 4k Max (Amazon O.S: 7.6.5.2)

I just upgraded and can confirm I still have a blank screen (with sound) on any Dolby Vision files when playing on the Amazon Firestick 4k Max

The issue is only present on Dolby Vision files with HDR10 PLUS - any other Dolby Vision combo type plays perfectly well. DV5, or DV7/8 with HDR10.    This is a known issue and is with Google and Amazon to resolve - I don't believe Emby can resolve this (it doesn't work on Plex or JF either).

11 hours ago, Silentninjabob said:

This is also happening on my fire TV max stick I haven't gone through specific files like others in this thread but newer content doesn't work and older content does.

As a fix if I find my way with the tactile sounds only through the menu and hit the playback correction button it works again. I haven't read up on what the button does but it fixes the black screen issue if you can find it without looking.

Playback correction just forces a transcode - this is just a workaround but at least it will playback using tonemapping - but you'll lose HDR and DV.

• 2 weeks later...
Jack Burton
On 9/13/2023 at 5:08 AM, rbjtech said:

The issue is only present on Dolby Vision files with HDR10 PLUS - any other Dolby Vision combo type plays perfectly well. DV5, or DV7/8 with HDR10.    This is a known issue and is with Google and Amazon to resolve - I don't believe Emby can resolve this (it doesn't work on Plex or JF either).

Playback correction just forces a transcode - this is just a workaround but at least it will playback using tonemapping - but you'll lose HDR and DV.

This is frustrating as apparently Google added HDR10+ certification back in 2021. I'm using a chromecast with Google TV and get the black screen/frozen image, but it works fine on 4 other devices. Might just be time to upgrade to a Shield I guess.

rbjtech

The Shield doesn't support HDR10 Plus at all - so it will downgrade any HDR10 Plus to HDR10.  DV+HDR10+ Works fine on the Shield - it will use the DV as a preference.

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be the 'perfect' streaming device, that plays all forms of HDR ... and all forms of HD Audio ... 🙄

Edited by rbjtech

Jack Burton
On 9/25/2023 at 5:03 AM, rbjtech said:

The Shield doesn't support HDR10 Plus at all - so it will downgrade any HDR10 Plus to HDR10.  DV+HDR10+ Works fine on the Shield - it will use the DV as a preference.

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be the 'perfect' streaming device, that plays all forms of HDR ... and all forms of HD Audio ... 🙄

Yeah, just got the Shield Pro, same issues. The picture shows up, audio works, navigating ahead or behind quickly changes to the appropriate scene, but the picture is frozen.

thor2002ro

i got a fire tv 4k max today and the android tv app doesnt play av1 content trascodes with unsupported message ,

the normal sideloaded app works fine playing av1

• Like 1

rbjtech
1 hour ago, thor2002ro said:

i got a fire tv 4k max today and the android tv app doesnt play av1 content trascodes with unsupported message ,

the normal sideloaded app works fine playing av1

I'd suggest turning on the AndroidTV App debug and send a log to Emby directly after attempting to playback an av1 file.   

I suspect the device is simply not telling emby it can playback av1 in hardware.

@ebrFYI

44 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I suspect the device is simply not telling emby it can playback av1 in hardware.

Correct.  The standard app attempts to decode in software.  The TV app does not do that because most TV devices will not be powerful enough for smooth playback.

rbjtech
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Correct.  The standard app attempts to decode in software.  The TV app does not do that because most TV devices will not be powerful enough for smooth playback.

Interestingly, my FireTV 4K Max using the latest Emby AndroidTV Beta App is Direct Playing AV1 just fine.

Infact, in comparison to the latest Android Beta App on the same device, it looks significantly better.  The standard App is very difficult to watch with micro stuttering, AndroidTV is very smooth.   And yes, I have checked the Screen refresh settings in the App, it didn't appear to make any difference.

edit - So AndroidTV is infact transcoding despite what it says on SFN and the Dashboard .. (see below)

So is the AndroidTV App using hardware acceleration, but the Android App using software decoding ?  (which may explain the above)  If yes, why not use the hardware acceleration like the AndroidTV App does ? 

Edited by rbjtech

thor2002ro
1 hour ago, ebr said:

i confirmed with the developer mode in fire tv that the standard app decodes hardware 

image.thumb.png.25ba82d644a548ecae64f04ac4067545.png

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, thor2002ro said:

i confirmed with the developer mode in fire tv that the standard app decodes hardware 

image.thumb.png.25ba82d644a548ecae64f04ac4067545.png

What version of the AndroidTV App are you using ?

I'm using the latest beta (2.0.93a) and it's direct playing AV1 very nicely.

thor2002ro

the latest version 2.0.93

carefull the app info and server info is lieing to you for some reason....

observe the fire tv says its playing avc.... the server dashboard reports the same direct play but if I check the cpu of the server and a gpu its trascoding.... even has a trascoding log.... attached at the bottom

edit: btw heres how to enable developer menu 

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-access-developer-options-amazon-fire-tv/

enable advanced options and you will see what the player is actually decoding image.thumb.png.2c14521df8da008a9ab668a8d50649bd.png

ffmpeg-transcode-e1dc6568-b742-47c0-8e6f-25e0b9ba5482_1.txt

Edited by thor2002ro
  • Agree 1

rbjtech

At least that explains why the Android version looks horrible - it's dropping frames ...

image.thumb.jpeg.0100ee6e9fe72222cb3f6c07f8bb0673.jpeg

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech
20 minutes ago, thor2002ro said:

the latest version 2.0.93

carefull the app info and server info is lieing to you for some reason....

observe the fire tv says its playing avc.... the server dashboard reports the same direct play but if I check the cpu of the server and a gpu its trascoding.... even has a trascoding log.... attached at the bottom

image.thumb.png.2c14521df8da008a9ab668a8d50649bd.png

ffmpeg-transcode-e1dc6568-b742-47c0-8e6f-25e0b9ba5482_1.txt 105.15 kB · 0 downloads

Agreed - AndroidTV is not Direct Play despite what it says on the SFN and Dashboard - agree that it's transcoding to avc - 8bit.

• Haha 1

thor2002ro
25 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

At least that explains why the Android version looks horrible - it's dropping frames ...

image.thumb.jpeg.0100ee6e9fe72222cb3f6c07f8bb0673.jpeg

interesting.... mine never dropped that many frames.... drops some when skipping but nothing else ....most of my library is av1 now and random stuff I tried all played fine and looked fine... careful on the display settings maybe....

might look funky if you match frame rate..... check the settings in emby too

mine look like this image.thumb.png.d8d6927f95894712324f4d1edbc881cd.png 

Edited by thor2002ro
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech

thanks - have tried turning off the frame rate matching in both the FireTV (needs to be ON anyway, otherwise emby doesn't frame rate match regardless of setting ..) and emby - but it still drops frames.  It's the only AV1 I have - so it may be the file - so I'm going to try some others ...

Edited by rbjtech