New UI changes

Ninko

This is how I have my Setup... that's from the Web and that's how it was on my Roku but in a Long Line 1 row type. That is just my Backup drive just as it is on my Server

1.thumb.JPG.af2e1593306d3b65b75a3a37fdb47b6c.JPG2.thumb.JPG.5604926dc69290cc72465675af684844.JPG

Edited by WAI30

fraenhawk

Here are two screens from the Roku. First the My Media stretching. Second is the identical Continue/Next Up

E58FFE98-94C6-45AD-B365-79571EEF5FE0.thumb.jpeg.2be8d003dbd29c120de8a418e829b761.jpeg

6C220C05-BB3F-4AAC-96D2-046302487021.thumb.jpeg.6c8ba1ea052162bc1d10072837aa44a7.jpeg

• Agree 1

Locutus64
On 2/9/2022 at 7:53 AM, ebr said:

The app was made to look just like all of the other ones in terms of size and presentation.

And again this is a huge problem. When is Emby going to understand this. They are different interfaces with different size screens needing different layouts. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, WAI30 said:

This is how I have my Setup... that's from the Web and that's how it was on my Roku but in a Long Line 1 row type

Hi.  Others have mentioned this but the way you have your system setup is not how it is intended to be done and you are creating a huge amount of work for yourself that you don't have to.  The way you are doing it you have to create a new library every time you add a new series.  Instead, if you had it setup the intended way, it would all just work automatically when you add a new series.  Also, I think you are giving up a lot of features the way you have it setup because the system is not going to properly recognize these series folders as TV series.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Locutus64 said:

And again this is a huge problem. When is Emby going to understand this. They are different interfaces with different size screens needing different layouts. 

Hi.  This app was changed to look just like all the other TV interfaces in the other apps.  We do have different layouts and sizes, etc for different sized screens.

11 hours ago, fraenhawk said:

First the My Media stretching

Hi.  Different platforms have different capabilities in dealing with odd or unexpected images sizes.  We try to predict as best we can based on media type but, with the new rounding technique it is important for those my media images to fill the entire frame so we are currently enforcing a landscape presentation there.

11 hours ago, fraenhawk said:

Second is the identical Continue/Next Up

Hi.  Only one of those rows should be showing now.  This is something that somehow was never noticed in beta.  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Different platforms have different capabilities in dealing with odd or unexpected images sizes.  We try to predict as best we can based on media type but, with the new rounding technique it is important for those my media images to fill the entire frame so we are currently enforcing a landscape presentation there.

That right there is All I care about from the change. I find my Server's Folders to be where they are at to be Fine. I may try to do as pointed but I need a how to. Like from a Movie Folder as I have All my Movies in two Folders (Due do the file Limit?) A/B and from Above y'all want me to setup  like [Avatar/2009/file] I'd have to create Folders for each Movie which I'm not going to do

2.JPG.e3837c088a5c389015a1edc181385bc4.JPG

20 minutes ago, WAI30 said:

I may try to do as pointed but I need a how to. Like from a Movie Folder as I have All my Movies in two Folders (Due do the file Limit?) A/B and from Above y'all want me to setup  like [Avatar/2009/file] I'd have to create Folders for each Movie which I'm not going to do

Hi.  No, you do not have to do that.  No changes to your file system should be necessary.  You just need to change your library setup to be much more simple.

In the case of your movies you would create a single library called "Movies" (or whatever you wish) with the Movies content type.  Then under folders you would add two folders:

K:\videos\movies\a
K:\videos\movies\b

OR if you have only those two subfolders under movies and may add more in the future that you want included, you would just specify:

K\videos\movies

Now that library will show all of your movies and present them to you in a much better way in all of the interfaces.

Note: if you make this change, either start from scratch (probably easiest) or be sure and delete all of the other libraries you created that point to your movie folders now and let a library scan complete before adding the library as I indicated above.

• Agree 3

fraenhawk
25 minutes ago, ebr said:

I understand and will try to find some new icons for those, I was just replying to @Happy2Playwho was surprised that all clients didn't show the same.

Rohanaj
15 hours ago, WAI30 said:

This is how I have my Setup... that's from the Web and that's how it was on my Roku but in a Long Line 1 row type. That is just my Backup drive just as it is on my Server

1.thumb.JPG.af2e1593306d3b65b75a3a37fdb47b6c.JPG2.thumb.JPG.5604926dc69290cc72465675af684844.JPG

I'm not quite following why you don't make a "Shows" library, especially since you already seem to have the file structure in place with your VIDEOs -> Shows -> [Different Series] that you show in this picture, so it wouldn't take any extra work in terms of creating directories, renaming, etc., really.

From the media that you have, and what you've explained about how you're storing your files, your "My Media" section should only have two libraries ("Movies" and "Shows," for example), if it were set up the way Emby is intended (and nicely structured to facilitate).  All of your TV shows would then fall under that one library, the same way your individual movies fall under a Movies library.

All it would take, at it's simplest level, is making sure your "Movies" library has both your "A" and "B" folders you mentioned attached to it.  Likewise, you would just set up your "Shows" library to directly be tied to the base "Shows" directory, at which point Emby goes out and sees all the subfolders, like Transplant -> S01/S02, and creates a Transplant show listing within your Shows library.

At that point, in reference to your latest comment about library images, you set one collective image for the library (if you want to), but you wouldn't need to hunt and find a certain format size of image for each series, because those would be displaying correctly within the library for each respective show.

Each to their own, certainly feel free to keep your server set up the way you have it and disregard my comment, if you prefer, but it might save you a lot of time and effort down the road as you keep adding more content.

-Roh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WAI30 said:

So... I just need to find 4:3 images for the Covers for Main Screen now?

No....  We don't use 4:3 images anywhere and, if you setup your libraries as we've suggested, images will be created for you automatically.

5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  No, you do not have to do that.  No changes to your file system should be necessary.  You just need to change your library setup to be much more simple.

In the case of your movies you would create a single library called "Movies" (or whatever you wish) with the Movies content type.  Then under folders you would add two folders:

K:\videos\movies\a
K:\videos\movies\b

OR if you have only those two subfolders under movies and may add more in the future that you want included, you would just specify:

K\videos\movies

Now that library will show all of your movies and present them to you in a much better way in all of the interfaces.

Note: if you make this change, either start from scratch (probably easiest) or be sure and delete all of the other libraries you created that point to your movie folders now and let a library scan complete before adding the library as I indicated above.

All fixed guys

• Like 2

I had expected to come here to find that a Roku update had messed up Emby, but now I find that Roku has nothing to do with it.

Why can't we scroll left and right any more? ie from first item scroll left to the last item, and then all the way back to item 1? It's a feature that we use regularly but now we have to go all the way to the right to find what we're looking for. It's such a basic feature that I hesitate to even call it a feature.

Has removing this feature made something else better? What am I not getting about this update? If you wanted to standardise it across all platforms, why choose this version?

I'm sure that I'll get used to it, given time. But if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Is there any way that I can go back to the previous version? Which was brilliant.

Sorry to sound like I'm just complaining. Emby is brilliant. Just not quite as brilliant as it was. I know, first world problems!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, critchy said:

Why can't we scroll left and right any more?

Unfortunately, that behavior was not compatible with all the other visual improvements that were made.  There also were complaints about that behavior as well because the scrolling did not behave like all the other apps (focus was fixed in the first position).

23 minutes ago, ebr said:

Unfortunately, that behavior was not compatible with all the other visual improvements that were made.  There also were complaints about that behavior as well because the scrolling did not behave like all the other apps (focus was fixed in the first position).

Yes, the focus was fixed in the first position. I don't see why that is a problem. It was good. 

You can't please everyone all the time. I get it.

41 minutes ago, ebr said:

I really do hate to sound negative, but I can't say that I've noticed any visual "improvements" with this update. New irritations, sure. Improvements? Not really.

I would really love the ability to just lock in the previous version, with no further updates. It's like someone has come into my living room uninvited and started redecorating.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, critchy said:

New irritations, sure

Other than the loss of "wrap around" scrolling, can you elaborate?

17 minutes ago, ebr said:

The focus being all over the place instead of in position 1, and "highlighted" in a less visible green which I find harder to see.

I had hoped to come on here to find that Roku had done something, and that I could switch to a firestick or something. But it's the same across all platforms. Yay.

I have always loved Emby and you all do a great job. It's just irritating, is all.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ebr said:

What visual improvements should I have noticed?

11 minutes ago, critchy said:

What visual improvements should I have noticed?

The entire interface should look more modern and less "blocky" and it matches all the other apps now.

• Like 1

Can I just butt-in as I am the OP - I now understand of what I did previously was somewhat wrong but that's me just liking *All my Shows and the Movie Folder shown as Emby starts on my Roku but now I understand . Just the Web part hasn't changed

3 hours ago, WAI30 said:

Can I just butt-in as I am the OP - I now understand of what I did previously was somewhat wrong but that's me just liking *All my Shows and the Movie Folder shown as Emby starts on my Roku but now I understand . Just the Web part hasn't changed

With respect, technically you are not the OP, I am. You just butted in with a different problem.

• Haha 2