New UI changes

Ninko

Hi,

Recently there has been some changes to the UI, I assume a recent update to the Roku Emby app, and although it may look nicer with the theme colour running throughout the app it's not very visually appealing to anyone that doesn't have 20/20 vision.

Firstly the main problematic change is the new highlight colour being used (green). Before the change is was a thicker white colour, which was nice and easy to see which item you was on, but this new thinner green is harder to see and just doesn't stand out very well. It also clashes with the progress bar of an item which is also green!

And secondly, although isn't as big a deal as my first point. It looks as though things have been made just generally smaller, again may look nice but not good for those with poor vision.

Now, all this maybe fine for most people I have no doubt, but you need to try and think of everyone.

If you're dead set on these new changes, there really needs to be an accessibility option or something to have a better contrasting highlight colour like it was before!

This is just my opinion of course seeing as I happen to be one of those that lack 20/20 vision.

Thanks

Ninko

• Agree 1

Hi.  Sorry for your issues.  The app was made to look just like all of the other ones in terms of size and presentation.

Higher visibility options are possible for the future (especially a neutral highlight color).

Thanks.

The usability has been gutted in two important areas (IMHO). Please excuse my not knowing the proper names for the different items.  I've tried my best.

One is that I need to look around to find the highlighted show.  It's no longer always the first item on the left.  When moving from one library to another, the focus moves directly down instead of on the first item in the list. 

I can no longer view shows in a particular library and have them wrap around to the first item when I've reached the end.

It seems changes were made for the sake of changes.  No improvements.  Probably changes made by someone that doesn't use the app on a roku.  Can we have options to customize these aspects?  Please?

Thanks

Jack

• Agree 1

After using the new UI a bit more, I do happen to agree with @jemoore, things have been changed with no actual improvement from a user's point of view, IMHO it's now a bit of a mess!

It was fine the way it was!

• Agree 1

Hi.  Changes were made for the sake of consistency with the Emby experience and presentation.  Prior to this, the Roku was the "odd bird" in the lineup and did not look or behave like the rest of the apps.

Options are always possible in the future.

justinrh

Emby, we understand you had a reason for the change.  But listen to the users and consider the issues.  Many people use Emby because of responsiveness to issues and a good UX, which other brands don't have.

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, WAI30 said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of the change bc it resized the cover image's

PhotoGrid_Plus_1644600326629.thumb.jpg.ab5e38e060851f5d0f70ce1d59109bb0.jpg

What row is that?

Please verify the library content type has not changed from TV to Mixed Content.

But similar discussion over here if it is the same issue.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/105975-imagemetadata-issues-after-server-update/&do=findComment&comment=1115424

Edited by Happy2Play

I mean I'm fine with where it's at though I was in shock otherwise. The images are in a landscape type mode which before was was portrait I believe hence why seems images are like a block base shape

Edited by WAI30

27 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

What row is that?

Please verify the library content type has not changed from TV to Mixed Content.

But similar discussion over here if it is the same issue.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/105975-imagemetadata-issues-after-server-update/&do=findComment&comment=1115424

Hi. Yes, please confirm the library type as referenced above.

It's just the Main Menu where I see All the Content like Shows. As stated seems the Images are Pushed in and not like before (Probably bc of the UI change)

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, WAI30 said:

It's just the Main Menu where I see All the Content like Shows. As stated seems the Images are Pushed in and not like before (Probably bc of the UI change)

Okay then that is expected behavior as My Media expects 16:9 images not 2:3.

Doesn't every client show the same?

Edited by Happy2Play

PhotoGrid_Plus_1644623026320.thumb.jpg.0d9db379bce87f150718730eb8c95448.jpg

PhotoGrid_Plus_1644623155384.thumb.jpg.567a78e15101c4317fe737e5266aab0c.jpg

I'm just somewhat upset but I'll deal with it. Like most of the image's are (in the library section in settings) are 4:3 but only the cover image for movies is 16:9 but regardless I hope this is fixed

Edited by WAI30

seanbuff

I'm confused, isn't the 'My Media' row meant to show libraries only? Why are there individual items like Big Bang and Boba Fett in your My Media row?

Ohh I see, you've created actual libraries for each individual series - is there any reason why you set up your library structure this way? That's certainly not recommended.

I'd suggest taking a look at this guide to see how to properly structure your TV Series so that you are not 'creating' new libraries for every series: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My question is why do that then just create the shows folder then (create a folder) 1 by 1 have titled as 1, 2 etc. "Inserting the episodes" then identify the show and Emby will do the rest

PhotoGrid_Plus_1644630475036.thumb.jpg.d659676cf0c8801f20489739d86d9abb.jpg

Edited by WAI30

Happy2Play

From a library level why would anyone want to make hundreds of individual libraries to spam the home screen/My Media?  One library containing all Series makes more sense to me.

• Agree 1

seanbuff
10 minutes ago, WAI30 said:

My question is why do that then just create the shows folder then (create a folder) 1 by 1 have titled as 1, 2 etc. "Inserting the episodes" then identify the show and Emby will do the rest

The problem I see with your current setup is, every time you acquire a new series, you are having to add a whole new library in the libraries setup page - that's not what that is for, nor should anyone need to do that.

If you simply had a 'TV Series' top-level folder as a library, you would only need to drop that new series folder (eg. Boba Fett) under there and Emby would take care of the rest, i.e. less admin overhead for you.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

The problem is that section is not design for what you are doing.  If is for Libraries not items.  Creating Items will require you to manually apply images which could affect how that are displayed in different views also.

Not an image from Roku but demonstrates the same point.

image.thumb.png.319448c2eb40fdace26e43f43d200750.png

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, WAI30 said:

So... Just have all my shows in one exact folder with just all the videos and have my movie's the same? What about the file limit

For movies you can have a flat structure if you like but preferred method is every item having their own folder.

Series requires every show to have a minimum of a Series folder.

If you want Movies and Series in the Same folder then you have to make a Mixed Content type library.

There is no file limit.

seanbuff
10 minutes ago, WAI30 said:

So... Just have all my shows in one exact folder with just all the videos and have my movie's the same? What about the file limit

You would have your shows in their own folders underneath the top-level "TV Shows" folder

Library: E:\TV Shows\
                     \Big Bang Theory
                                     \Season 1
                                              \Episode 1.mkv

\Clarice
                             \Season 1
                                      \Episode 4.mkv

Library: E:\Movies\
                   \Die Hard (1988)
                                   \movie.mkv
                   \Thor (2011)
                               \Thor BluRay 4K.mkv

You could do the same with your Movies, and the only folders you add to the "Libraries" are the top-level ones, eg. E:\TV Shows and E:\Movies, etc

Recommended Movie Naming for reference: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

Edited by seanbuff
typo

Happy2Play

Also, it is never recommended to use the root of any drive as Emby can pick up the drives hidden system folders.  So, you should have items with a parent folder on said drive.

• Like 1

Ah yeah I'm good LoL. Doing this would take hours and hours...

I have Emby to look by Folder not by Drive Fully. Until this if redone or whatever I'm OK with it I guess

Edited by WAI30

fraenhawk
3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Okay then that is expected behavior as My Media expects 16:9 images not 2:3.

Doesn't every client show the same?

The web client does not. I only use web and Roku and have always used Xzener's icons (I know, I'm old school MB) without a problem, but as you mentioned, the ratio now causes them to be squished only on Roku. I think the web client wraps the 2:3 icon inside of a 16:9 black box. Roku interface is now stretching the icons in the 16:9 box. I'll just have to look for some new icons.

There is however a bug that was introduced. On the home screen it's fine, but if I go into any TV library and go to the suggestions, The Continue Watching and Next Up sections are identical. Both show the Next Up content now. I verified all the affected libraries are configured as TV Shows not Mixed Content.

edit: Just wanted to add that I checked the web interface and the Continue/Next Up issue is only on the Roku. On the web, turning Next Up (Legacy) on/off only affects the home page. The suggestions on the libraries only has Continue Watching ever. On the Roku, the Home Screen is obeying the Next Up (Legacy) setting, but it's almost like the suggestions are stuck with both rows (and both showing the same data) no matter the setting.

Here's a sample of the web client not stretching the My Media icons:

image.thumb.png.66930201b2dd5ae9457cf6f872c713a2.png

Edited by fraenhawk
fix typos, added pic
  • Agree 1