I need some help from you guys!

KayJay

Hmmm...I'll check but, if I re-start the machine it is setup properly again.  It's just going in and out of sleep that causes this issue.  For now, I've done what I originally intended and have stopped the NUC from sleeping.

Okay my configuration got re-set to stereo again yesterday.  :mellow:  We'll see what happens today when I crank it up.

I did confirm bitstreaming of DTS, DTS-HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD.

Thanks @@ebr for the confirmation that it's possible to bitstream all the HD audio formats.  Definitely looks like disabling sleep is the best solution.  Might have a new "box" to play with in my future!   B)

Well, I went into the power settings and told the machine to "Never" sleep but today at lunch it was asleep anyway (and audio interface reset to stereo again).  Do I have to set something in the BIOS?

You can disable sleep in the bios but you shouldn't need to. Did you turn hibernate and away mode off??

I went to the area of control panel where it says "Change when your computer sleeps" and set it to "Never".  Did not see settings for hibernate or away mode specifically...

go into advanced on the left of cp and there's a lot more settings in there

away mode and hibernate are known to cause allsorts of bother

Well, this sux.  I traded an intermittent audio issue for a consistently worse one.

Even if I don't allow the machine to sleep my audio device setup is re-set to stereo each time.  In fact, most times, I have to re-boot the machine and re-configure the device.

Bleh...

techywarrior

That's strange. I use a NUC as my MB Server as well as HTPC with MBC on it. On occasion I have had an issue where I lose audio but it almost always happens when I am switching between WMC and a web browser with Flash. It doesn't happen every time or anything. I'd say like 1 in 50 times.

Other then that I haven't had the audio reset to stereo.

The only thing I can remember off the top of my head was the issue where having WMC in 5.1 and the system in 5.1 and WMC navigation sounds turned on can cause crashes or something but that is a WMC bug and not specific to the NUC... and I don't remember what I did because I have 5.1 surround working at the moment.

Maybe the WMC setup is screwing me up somehow.  I'll re-check that.

Also I'm going to play with the timings of powering things up and see if that helps.

• Like 1

Lovely then ... I will not consider to buy these devices then.

Thanks for the update Ebr.

saajan4u

I would get a decent server machine and probably Roku or nucs as clients.. My server is a i7 with 16gb ram on ssd it's a bit of an overkill but I got concurrent rdp and use it from understair to living room with long hdmi and USB cable to to main family TV.. And Roku everywhere..

Tharnax

Maybe the WMC setup is screwing me up somehow.  I'll re-check that.

Also I'm going to play with the timings of powering things up and see if that helps.

That's unfortunate @@ebr, I hope you get it sorted.  Still considering the purchase, just might have to consider having the machine shut down instead of sleep when not in use.  I doubt the machine takes more then 20 seconds to get from off to WMC, not ideal, but really there aren't a lot of NUC alternatives out that in the same price range.  Roku and other media streaming devices unfortunately don't fill the gap because for me pass-through of HD audio is a must have.  I'm sure like you, I need a solution which works for all members of the family every time with no required "tinkering".  It'd be fine if I was the only person who used it, but I'm not.

For now, the search continues.

Did some more tweaking today but still no joy.  Now when I power back up most times there is no audio device detected at all and I have to re-start the nuc.

If I could figure out how to make the thing actually shut down and re-start with my remote, I would try that but I haven't found that yet.

Okay, maybe I've figured something out.  As I test this out and shut down and re-start right away with the remote, it appears to work okay.  But, if I go away and come back tomorrow, it will start up with no audio.

I think maybe what is going on is something is waking the machine up overnight while the receiver is not powered up and this is screwing up the hdmi connection for the next time I power up.

So, I went into the bios and disabled WOL (At least I think I did there is no specific option to disable it).  Now we'll see if it works tomorrow.  I might also have to go in and make sure that Windows updates isn't waking the machine up as well.

techywarrior

If that is indeed the issue for you then you could get HDMI Detective but that also will increase the cost of ownership by $100.

I'm going to play with my NUC tonight a little if I remember because I know mine wakes from sleep without my receiver being on and I don't lose audio.

techywarrior

Ok, so ebr it looks like have the sound set to stereo but 5.1 in WMC. Since I am using HDMI for sound I still get surround sound in WMC/MBC. I don't use too many other programs so not sure if other programs are able to output surround sound or not. Typically the only other thing I do with it is watch Crunchyroll in a browser window and I don't think I get surround sound from that.

The reason I have it on stereo is that when I had the sound device set to 5.1 there was an issue with WMC unless you disable navigation sounds. It was actually more annoying to not have navigation sounds then it was to not have surround sound on a few animes.

Still doesn't seem to be the same experience you are having tho.

Walking by the machine today (no time to watch anything yet) I can see it is on again instead of asleep.  Something keeps waking this damned thing up all the time and I need to hunt it down and kill it.

techywarrior

Go to Device Manager, Go to properties of the NIC and uncheck the box that says "allow this device to wake the computer from sleep".

I think I may finally have this issue nabbed by forcing the machine to stay asleep.  Whew!

techywarrior

lol, it's funny. I update the video drivers the other day and now I am constantly having the sleep/audio issue. :(

Intel said they were going to FIX the bug (years ago) but it seems to be worse in the latest drivers for some reason. At least instead of rebooting I can just put the computer to sleep and then wake it up immediately. (faster then rebooting)

I think I may finally have this issue nabbed by forcing the machine to stay asleep. Whew!

How did you "force it to stay asleep" ???

I had to turn off all Windows updates and disable all forms of WOL support on the network interface (both bios and in windows - bios was probably unnecessary once I found all the windows settings).

However, I did bring the system up today and have no audio again so this issue is still there at least intermittently.