I need some help from you guys!

KayJay

I have the i3 nuc and no issues with out of sync audio or any hdmi issues. I have not had a single issue with it.

Which i3 NUC model do you have, the one that takes a 2.5 SSD or HDD or the one that only accepts Msata?  I've got a 120GB 2.5 SSD and 4GB of ram unused which I could use with the box but I've been hesitant to pull the trigger due to all the bad reviews.

I have the i3 (DC3217IYE) that takes the msata and the celeron that can take a HDD or SSD.  No issues with the i3 and the celeron can be a little slow with MBPlus but no other issues that I've noticed.  I haven't tried it, but the everything I've seen says the i3 will bitstream dts-hd.  The celeron does not.  

Slightly different then what I was looking at but my understanding is it should function the same as this one.  I'm primarily interested in bit-streaming HD audio along, stutter free video in a small form factor.

Slightly different then what I was looking at but my understanding is it should function the same as this one.  I'm primarily interested in bit-streaming HD audio along, stutter free video in a small form factor.

Yeah, that one looks like just what I would want because I could just slip my existing SSD drive in there and be done.

Deihmos
Tharnax, on 23 Sept 2014 - 3:13 PM, said:

That's the one that I have. Funny that it cost more than how much I paid for it 6 months ago.

That's the one that I have. Funny that it cost more than how much I paid for it 6 months ago.

I guess demand is keeping these priced high.  That or maybe they have discontinued producing them now that we have knowledge of a new processor in the works and the remaining inventory isn't being discounted as much yet.

@@ebr - Let me know how it works out for you.

New NUC is installed and configured.  We'll see how it performs this weekend.

I tried to just swap the SSD with my current HTPC but Windows BSOD'd so I had to re-install Windows and everything else.  Then I had to download and install all the drivers for the individual components (network, display, IR) and then install LAV and MBC and MB Plus.  Everything appears to be operational now.

• Like 1

techywarrior

Are you just using the NUC for MBC? I have an i5 NUC that I use as my server and it's been great so far. Only drawback is that it can't really handle more then 2 transcoded streams at once (although I haven't actually tried). But since 90% of my usage is actually direct playing files (glad I encoded all my dvd's as m2ts/mp4/mkv) it's never been an issue.

If you are just using the NUC for MBC I would extremely surprised if you ran into any performance issues. I haven't really noticed anything different between my NUC and my old HTPC (3ghz i3 (2ndgen))

New NUC is installed and configured.  We'll see how it performs this weekend.

I tried to just swap the SSD with my current HTPC but Windows BSOD'd so I had to re-install Windows and everything else.  Then I had to download and install all the drivers for the individual components (network, display, IR) and then install LAV and MBC and MB Plus.  Everything appears to be operational now.

Any issue with the HD audio options after install?  I've seen some messages on other forums that getting the HD audio to show up in the audio settings is a bit hit and miss, usually requiring the download and install of some intel drivers directly from their website.

Did you go with a Windows 8.1 setup or a Windows 7 setup?  I figure if I'm going to go through all the work with a new NUC I might as well upgrade to Windows 8.1 with WMC, MBC and MB Plus.

I had that issue with my desktop core i5 (haswell) the sound had to be working to get drivers to update.. was an hdmi handshake issue I think ??

i'm sure that was fixed on an updated driver release.

• Like 1

I installed the graphics drivers which include the audio from Intel's site.  I have a busy weekend and still haven't watched anything on the system yet.  I confirmed that DTS streamed but haven't tried anything else.

• Like 1

breezytm

I am surprise some of you guys are still experiencing audio issues. This problem has been fixed for months now. Intel had released new drivers to remedy the issue. I haven't had it since. It was unbearable.

I have an intel nuc with celeron processor, 4gb of ram, 120gb ssd. I am running MBC, MBS, XBMC and Plex Home Theater without any hiccups. They only time I have buyers remorse is when I am in MBC using channels and the cpu is to slow to transcode. Also when I am using the Amazon addin for WMC, Netflix, or Hulu desktop. The nuc be chocking :D If I could go back in time I probably would of went with the i3. Or maybe not. I don't know. I wouldn't want to spend the extra cash if I don't need to.

So far so good but I've only watched a couple TV shows.

I am allowing the machine to sleep and I haven't had the audio not working issue that I had with my other machine sometimes yet.  We'll see if that keeps up.

I'm happy to hear you aren't having the drop out audio issue.  Any luck testing pass-through of DTS-HD MA,  Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby True-HD? 

I did have a bizarre occurrence when I brought the system up at lunch today.  My audio device configuration, which I had setup initially to 5.1, was re-set to stereo.  The effect was that all the Windows sounds could be heard but not the audio from a video.  Re-configuring the device to 5.1 solved that.

So, I'll have to monitor to see if that happens again or if it was a fluke.

I'll try and test some other audio formats out later today.

scanner50

Kind of late to the discussion, but I've been waiting for the Zotac PI320 pico to come out to see what it will be like. Here's a short write-up on it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/zotac-mini-pc-pocket-zbox-pico,27553.html

It's tiny, the IGP should be able to handle 1080p, and imho super reasonable at $200 with Windows 8.1 preinstalled (with possible free Windows 9 upgrade down the road?). Similar to what one thread post says on that page, load MBT on it and Velcro it to the back of a TV, and you might actually have a pretty decent MBS extender of sorts.

scanner50

Yeah, it's not out yet, but should be soon.

EDIT: As in, it was slated to be released at the end of this month, so any day now.

Edited by rainking430

Okay my configuration got re-set to stereo again yesterday.  :mellow:  We'll see what happens today when I crank it up.

I did confirm bitstreaming of DTS, DTS-HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD.

• Like 1