Two recent issues on Android TV.

Dodgexander
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Dodgexander
On 04/11/2022 at 19:41, Doonz2019 said:

Just found this thread. Yep Im having the same issue with DTS on my Hisense tv

Plex works okay so not sure why Emby is having an issue. A quick workaround is just to mix all audio to stereo in the emby app settings..but I am still waiting to see if Emby can fix this issue.

viking19

I also see this same behaviour on a Hisense H6G (wired but tried wifi), unfortunately setting the app to downmix to stereo is only partially successful (stuttering is not as bad). I tried Jellyfin and the built in player by navigating to the PC through the TV and both work as expected. The TV is my moms so I can't spend hours troubleshooting and she's not about to side-load different Emby versions. What's really disappointing is I bought the TV for her to replace an old LG. I expected Android TV to be superior to WebOS but the LG app worked just fine and it wasn't a paid app.

• 1 month later...

I have stuttering issue too and found if I limit the playback bandwidth it forces transcoding and everything plays smoothly. Not ideal of course. I made a separate thread without realizing you had similar issues.

Dodgexander
11 hours ago, viking19 said:

There are now two threads on this issue ( Stuttering on Android TV ) and both are ignored. The last update to Emby for Android TV was early October, I'm starting to have buyer's remorse for the app.

I moved to emby some time ago because Plex wouldn't allow me to hide spoilers from generated thumbnails of recordings and honestly I love everything about it, but this issue is a deal-breaker for me.

Meanwhile, Plex doesn't have this issue and bitstreams audio fine to my soundbar.

4 hours ago, Warlan said:

I have stuttering issue too and found if I limit the playback bandwidth it forces transcoding and everything plays smoothly. Not ideal of course. I made a separate thread without realizing you had similar issues.

That'll be because you're transcoding the audio. You can also achieve the same thing by correcting playback once or twice per title. The best workaround though is downmixing to stereo.

I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this and provided samples that can be used to repeat the issues. It's clear from my findings the issues are directly related to incorrectly bitstreaming AAC or DTS audio.

Btw, the reason true HD works okay is because it's always transcoded to stereo pcm. You can't get it from built in TV apps.

Sad thing is this was working fine for some time. Updating emby to one of the more 'recent' versions broke playback.

So, back to Plex for now until this is fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
desertstorm

10 months later, this issue still persists in the latest beta 2.0.84g, this is seriously disappointing, you can't convince me this is not a top priority when AAC the most basic and common audio format can't play correctly, now I regret buying the app.🤮

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
Dodgexander

So I tried Jellyfin and it seems to work better overall but there's still issues with DTS audio with some titles. Switching the default media player from exo to VLC fixed those issues.

My guess is this issue is to do with how emby are compiling their built in exoplayer. Since Plex uses exo too and doesn't have issues and Jellyfin has issues only when using exo.

There's practically no reason for me to use emby anymore since this issue remains. I'll keep track here but will be moving my library over to Plex or Jellyfin now.

3 minutes ago, Dodgexander said:

So I tried Jellyfin and it seems to work better overall but there's still issues with DTS audio with some titles. Switching the default media player from exo to VLC fixed those issues.

My guess is this issue is to do with how emby are compiling their built in exoplayer. Since Plex uses exo too and doesn't have issues and Jellyfin has issues only when using exo.

There's practically no reason for me to use emby anymore since this issue remains. I'll keep track here but will be moving my library over to Plex or Jellyfin now.

Why not just use the external player feature until we have the exoplayer issue sorted out? We are actually currently working on updating to the latest version of exoplayer.

Dodgexander
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Why not just use the external player feature until we have the exoplayer issue sorted out? We are actually currently working on updating to the latest version of exoplayer.

With an external player you cannot resume playback. There are also no external players integrated into emby. Jellyfin has VLClibs built in.

I reported this almost a year ago so I kind of gave up hope of it being fixed.

• Like 1

justinrh
On 1/11/2023 at 3:59 PM, Luke said:

We are actually currently working on updating to the latest version of exoplayer.

And is this known to fix the issue?

Dodgexander
53 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you try updating to the latest version of the sideload build?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

We've updated our embedded video player to the latest version. Let's see if it plays better with that. Thanks !

Just tested it using the same samples I gave in this thread and behaviour is the same. It's still not fixed.

GrimReaper
13 minutes ago, Warlan said:

So need to Join the beta, right?

Depends on what you're trying to achieve, run beta AndroidTV app or sideload standard Android app? For former, you can either join beta program or download beta apk from here, for latter you don't have to, just download apk from the link above. 

Dodgexander
29 minutes ago, Warlan said:

The beta app is not showing up on the Google for TV device yet, only on my Android phone app.

You need to sideload the app linked. The beta app has nothing to do with anything they are asking you to do.

There are two apps for emby, one for phones and tablets and one for android TV. They are asking you to sideload the one used for phones and tablets to your TV using the link here to download it:

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

In my experience, it doesn't help but it's worth trying to make sure it's not just me.

Got it side loaded. Still get stutter unless I reduce home network quality to 1080p - 20Mbps (forcing transcode I assume).

Using Emby Theater on Windows10 machine I do not need to do this. Note I'm using Chromecast with Google TV wirelessly but I did test with Ethernet connection and it did not help.

When playing a 1080p MKV with DTS-HD or DTS, the video stutters. The sound is fine. If I force quality to 1080p 25Mbps the video stops stuttering. I assume because transcoding is forced on.

No issues when using Win10 Emby Theater.