Two recent issues on Android TV.

Dodgexander
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Dodgexander
22 minutes ago, ebr said:

That would indicate that those audio formats are not supported for bitstreaming.

It should do. The TV has a DTS decoder, even has it written on the sticker on the back.

Does this photo indicate the TV is not decoding it? I don't have a soundbar or AVR connected.

(For clarification, these stats are taken from the Android TV app when its working, on 2.0.48g, not when it's not working on beta 2.0.64g/Android standard)

IMG_20220215_132826.thumb.jpg.52c0a532f3ceb39ae9d642d994abc8c1.jpg

19 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you try sideloading the version from our website?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

It has both issues still.

Edited by Dodgexander

32 minutes ago, Dodgexander said:

Does this photo indicate the TV is not decoding it?

That display indicates that our app is decoding the DTS-HD audio. 

32 minutes ago, Dodgexander said:

I don't have a soundbar or AVR connected.

And you are getting direct playback with local decoding of the audio to stereo - which is all you are going to get using just the TV speakers.  If you did connect a sound bar or receiver then it would make sense to possibly bitstream those codecs out of the app.  However, I don't think any TV actually supports doing that with HD audio (which is what you have here - DTS HD).

Dodgexander
17 minutes ago, ebr said:

However, I don't think any TV actually supports doing that with HD audio (which is what you have here - DTS HD).

May I ask what makes you come to that conclusion? The TV is licensed to support DTS and DTS-HD and was tested to output it here:

Hisense U8G Review (55U8G, 65U8G) - RTINGS.com

image.png.281e84b67fd004fd0165bfaaf57cd734.png

I guess there's no way to test this is working without a soundbar or AVR? Should emby switch to passthrough when these are connected?

I've seen TVs claim it.  Not sure I've seen anyone make it work :).  Maybe they've figured it out now but, in your case, this is moot.  The item is playing back directly already.

2 minutes ago, Dodgexander said:

Should emby switch to passthrough when these are connected?

Assuming everything is hooked up properly and the settings are set properly, yes.  Works fine with devices like the Mii and Shield.

Hello everyone, I have exactly the same problem except my tv is connected in arc on a Yamaha rx-v4A amplifier. with an external player its working correctly all its so correctly my i lose the hdr10. What's the problem ?

Edited by rossi29

3 minutes ago, rossi29 said:

Hello everyone, I have exactly the same problem except my tv is connected in arc on a Yamaha rx-v4A amplifier. with an external player its working correctly all its so correctly my i lose the hdr10. What's the problem ?

Hi.  Exactly what same problem?

Let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, rossi29 said:

sorry i don't understand what i should do

Can you follow the instructions here to send a log from the android tv app?

Thanks !

• 1 month later...
Dodgexander

Since the app updated to 2.0.70g recently, issue 2 has returned.

Having to hit playback correction twice to force transcoding for things to play.

I see other similar reports, so I guess this is already known?

4 minutes ago, Dodgexander said:

I see other similar reports, so I guess this is already known?

What similar reports?

Are these items DTS XLL?

Dodgexander
1 hour ago, ebr said:

What similar reports?

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Are these items DTS XLL?

There are two issues. Just tested issue 1 and much the same as when I reported the problem on beta, these two issues are presently a problem again. This time with the released app, not beta.

Issue 1:

Files with DTS audio stutter.

Issue 2:

Almost all files fail to play, and freeze.

Exactly the same symptoms as I reported in this thread. See my earlier resolution:

On 15/02/2022 at 12:43, Dodgexander said:

I was enrolled in the beta program and was getting version 2.0.64g, I left the program, reinstalled the app and it now both issues are gone with verson 2.0.48g.

Malmgren
9 hours ago, Dodgexander said:

Since the app updated to 2.0.70g recently, issue 2 has returned.

Since I also have the same issue (quite happy to see I'm not completely alone) on 2.0.70g: Do you know of any way to see when an app was last updated? For me the problem started this weekend but I really have no idea if any update of the app was involved or how long I have been running 2.0.70g.

Malmgren
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Are the items you are having trouble with specifically DTS XLL?

Oh, sorry. Filtered out that word from the discussion above since I have no idea what it means. Some audio format, right? Any way to see that in Emby? I have tried quite many videos with the same result, so I highly doubt they all have the same audio format.

That question was to @Dodgexander because he mentioned the problem files were DTS but the media info section on the detail page should show the specific flavor of DTS.

Dodgexander
11 hours ago, Malmgren said:

Since I also have the same issue (quite happy to see I'm not completely alone) on 2.0.70g: Do you know of any way to see when an app was last updated? For me the problem started this weekend but I really have no idea if any update of the app was involved or how long I have been running 2.0.70g.

You can check in the play store when the app was last updated.

5 hours ago, ebr said:

Are the items you are having trouble with specifically DTS XLL?

There are two issues here. Issue 1 is relates to files with DTS audio. They play badly and stutter. I shared a video example earlier in the thread.

Issue 2 is not related to DTS at all, other files without DTS audio fail to play.

This was easy to spot again, because these two problems were present in the beta, which I then resolved by reverting to the stable release, but now occur in the latest stable, I assume because of updates pushed from beta to current stable.

@Dodgexander am I correct that you are just using the TV speakers for audio?

If so, please go into the playback settings and select "Mix down to stereo" for the audio option and see if that corrects your issue(s).

• Like 1

Dodgexander
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

@Dodgexander am I correct that you are just using the TV speakers for audio?

If so, please go into the playback settings and select "Mix down to stereo" for the audio option and see if that corrects your issue(s).

Despite some files only having stereo, non-dts audio It seems to fix both issues, thanks.

I want to get a DTS X and Dolby Atmos soundbar in the future though so how will this work out then?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dodgexander said:

I want to get a DTS X and Dolby Atmos soundbar in the future though so how will this work out then?

I suspect it will be okay and that the issue is related to attempting to bitstream those formats without something that can really handle them.

• Like 1

Malmgren
11 hours ago, Dodgexander said:

You can check in the play store when the app was last updated.

Ah, that was well hidden, thank you! Turns out though that my Emby app was last updated weeks before this problem started, so it seems it's not related to that particular app version. My best guess then is Philips snuck in some update that I didn't even notice installing and that broke something...

7 hours ago, Malmgren said:

Ah, that was well hidden, thank you! Turns out though that my Emby app was last updated weeks before this problem started, so it seems it's not related to that particular app version. My best guess then is Philips snuck in some update that I didn't even notice installing and that broke something...

If you also are just using the TV speakers, try changing your audio option to "Mix down to stereo".

Malmgren
5 hours ago, ebr said:

If you also are just using the TV speakers, try changing your audio option to "Mix down to stereo".

I've searched everywhere now and can't seem to find that option. Could you tell me where to look?

Also I'm doubtful it will make any difference, most of my videos (which doesn't work) are already in stereo.