[ATV] Force audio downmix

daedalus

daedalus

is there a way to force software decoding?

i run emby on a Sharp 40BN5EA (Android TV 9) with a stereo soundsystem connected by 3.5 mm jack, but problem is also on the build in speakers

at first i had the release version 2.0.48g which pretty much always did software decode for the audio and all sounded normal

then i switched to beta 2.0.64g for testing, cause i had some DV files not triggering the TV,  beta fixed most DV files here, but now dolby 5.1 audio suddently sounded very thin, flat and tiny

i noticed that on these files audio is now not software decoded anymore but plays "direct" (shown in stats for nerds), as shot in the dark, i tried the correct playback option and it switched to software decode for the audio and voila normal rich sound was back

so there seems to be a problem on my TV to handle/downmix these files deliverd from emby, cause i don't noticed anything abnormal with tv stations using dolby 5.1 or eg the amazon app (but i dont know what it is doing, probably also software decode)

audio settings on that TV itself are pretty limited, but however, i tried to flip them all with no effect on attempting to force emby to software decode by default again

so is there a way to force software decoding? emby isn't showing any audio related settings here

Edited by daedalus
specified title

GrimReaper

What AndroidTV client app Audio Out options under Settings>Playback tab you have listed/selected? 

27 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

What AndroidTV client app Audio Out options under Settings>Playback tab you have listed/selected? 

You probably don't have that option in the settings, huh...?

Okay, yeah, with the change that was made in the last beta, I need to enable that for you so you can select "Mix down to stereo" if you want to.

Thanks.

daedalus
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, yeah, with the change that was made in the last beta, I need to enable that for you so you can select "Mix down to stereo" if you want to.

Thanks.

if that would force the software decode, so yes please

• 2 weeks later...
daedalus

in latest beta setting is now exposed and working as expected

but i recently stumbled across something else, what i first thought it's just how that tv/soundssystem work together, cause i didn't play any stereo files

while volume for stereo files is normal, volume for 5.1+ files, even with forced downmix, is very low

any chance to get a setting to boost volume together with the downmixing?

Edited by daedalus

So, this is not the case when you set it to downmix?

On 2/1/2022 at 5:23 PM, daedalus said:

i tried the correct playback option and it switched to software decode for the audio and voila normal rich sound was back

The playback should be the same as when you did the playback correction technique.

daedalus

this was about the sound itself, volume was low before and is about the same when playing with or without the force downmix

as said,  i just didnt noticed that stereo files are noticeable louder than multi channel ones, cause i didn't played any until now

daedalus

just a throw in on the playback correction, just before the beta it suddently "stopped" working to just try software decode on the first attempt and directly jumped over to fully transcode everything, video and audio (that to aac 7.1)