Long file names breaks playback and metadata reading

Weevillo
Go to solution Solved by softworkz,

4 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, there never was an option. This is something you setup in Windows, not in Emby Server.

Actually it does, when they idle, and this can result in the server being unable to read the contents of the drive.

With a proper SMB implementations at the server side (i.e. MS' own), it never happens that a mapped drive gets disconnected, no matter what you do. Obviously it errors while the server is not accessible, but once the server is reachable again, the mapped drive will be functional quite some time earlier than UNC connections (due to cached authentication which doesn't need to go through AD (no matter whether kerberos or NTLM authentication).

I didn't mean to advocate using mapped drives in general. There are are also valid reasons against doing so and it will always require a case-by-case decision.

The starting point was the question how it could be that one way would be slower than the other way and I just answered that question.

Teredactle

Well here's the thing, both the installable as well as the portable are the *same* version 4.6.7.0, yet one sees mapped drives the other doesn't. Where is the setting to show mapped drives or hide them from the web interface?

Teredactle
3 hours ago, softworkz said:

The starting point was the question how it could be that one way would be slower than the other way and I just answered that question.

You did, and I appreciate the in depth answer(s). I surely could have read up on this on my own, but since you guys/gals are knee-deep into this, I just assumed you would know the answer already (which you did), and likely others may have the same question so great to have it on here!

• Thanks 1

Teredactle

Nope - I literally shut down the Emby server (running on portable) and installed the installer version, and when I went to configure a library it wasn't showing me the mapped drives I have (that came up  - and come up - on the portable version). This was a test to see if I was getting the same problems, which I was, so I uninstalled it, went back to the portable (running now) and resolved those problems I was having.

What you could do in case you'd have passion to investigate further:

• Note the path of the server executable at the  installer-version,
    then shut Emby sever  down
    now, start the installed Emby server manually: directly from the containing directory
    => manually means: NOT through the shortcut installed to the start menu, but natively
  • Use a File/Folder DIFF tool to check for differences between both Emby deliverables
  • You can configure different ports for the the Emby server versions, in turn, you'll be able launch both servers at the same time.

Teredactle

Passion, maybe.... 

Time, not so much - portable is working fine for now, so I'll stick with that! :)

• Haha 1