Disable Collections

Skyobliwind
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Tony B.

When you give up your right to choose, you are just a tool that makes developers think it's ok to forcefeed 'wasting' ideas.

Collections should have been a choice since the dawn of this horrid nightmare.

Ask yourself this:

You can just about disable everything to do with automatic media metadata, run an 'off-grid' server except for these stupid collections. You'll have them on your library configuration screen 'forever', and they take up bandwidth and drive space no matter if you like it or not.

Collections are malware.

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, Tony B. said:

They 100% are as previously Required a plugin to be made and not require item metadata, but yes bugs happened in the PAST and you have to manually correct issues or start over with a new database.  But if your item metadata contains the collection info and you have 2 or more items with that info it will be created.  If it happened previously you have to manually correct the issue.

11 minutes ago, Tony B. said:

You can just about disable everything to do with automatic media metadata, run an 'off-grid' server except for these stupid collections. You'll have them on your library configuration screen 'forever', and they take up bandwidth and drive space no matter if you like it or not.

Can be done very easily as I just delete 200 collection and they no longer exist.  You have been provided all the info you need to correct the issue on your system so all troubleshooting should be done here.

pwhodges
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

You have been provided all the info you need to correct the issue on your system so all troubleshooting should be done here.

6 hours ago, Tony B. said:

As I said, no interest in troubleshooting it.

He doesn't want to fix it, he wants to complain

Spoiler

This is known as trolling in some circles.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gilgamesh_48
39 minutes ago, Tony B. said:

When you give up your right to choose, you are just a tool that makes developers think it's ok to forcefeed 'wasting' ideas.

Ask yourself this:

Collections are malware.

it has always been possible to turn off collections and/or to turn off their automatic collection feature.

A long time ago I first turned off automatic collection generation and then deleted all collections and then created manually the collections I want.

I do not like the automatic collection generation of collections at all and, since there is no setting to show collections and movies at the same time like Plex has always had I almost never use collections but I have a couple of hundred that I created but they are almost useless for me because when I am looking for something to watch I usually do not just want to only look inside collections but or only at the full movie list. I want to see both but with Emby it is a case of "or" not "and."

• 3 weeks later...
EmblemJD

Hey all,

was not sure why the discussion turned so heated reading through the whole thread but I would also like to chime in and ask for a "less IT heavy" approach to this feature :) I am running Emby on OMV inside Docker / Portainer and while I was able to get this up and running, I am still struggling to SSH and navigate the system to follow the mentioned workaround 😅

Would it be possible to unify the user experience more by having collections behave like libraries and giving the user the option in the GUI to delete them? I also found myself a bit confused why I cannot interact with collections the way I am used with the rest of content in Emby. I also was wondering why it only seems to work unilateral, ie. I can add items to a collection, but I cannot find an easy way to remove them? Would be a great QoL feature to be honest...either that or please guide me to some more documentation how I can remove items from collections. Thanks!

Edited by EmblemJD
  • Agree 1

EmblemJD
5 minutes ago, EmblemJD said:

Hey all,

was not sure why the discussion turned so heated reading through the whole thread but I would also like to chime in and ask for a "less IT heavy" approach to this feature :) I am running Emby on OMV inside Docker / Portainer and while I was able to get this up and running, I am still struggling to SSH and navigate the system to follow the mentioned workaround 😅

Would it be possible to unify the user experience more by having collections behave like libraries and giving the user the option in the GUI to delete them? I also found myself a bit confused why I cannot interact with collections the way I am used with the rest of content in Emby. I also was wondering why it only seems to work unilateral, ie. I can add items to a collection, but I cannot find an easy way to remove them? Would be a great QoL feature to be honest...either that or please guide me to some more documentation how I can remove items from collections. Thanks!

Hm sometimes I should try before writing a novel...Is this a new feature? I just went and right-click > delete a collection that was bugging me and it disappeared :D

Could have sworn that was not possible a while back - I am on Version 4.8.0.26 beta. It does not actually delete the files in that collection right?

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, EmblemJD said:

Would be a great QoL feature to be honest...either that or please guide me to some more documentation how I can remove items from collections.

You should have an option to "Remove from collection" on any item right-click/three-dot context menu, save way you're adding one into it. "Manage server" user rights required. 

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, EmblemJD said:

Hm sometimes I should try before writing a novel...Is this a new feature? I just went and right-click > delete a collection that was bugging me and it disappeared :D

Could have sworn that was not possible a while back - I am on Version 4.8.0.26 beta. It does not actually delete the files in that collection right?

Just replied to your previous post. No, not new. And no, it doesn't actually delete files, just removes the item from appropriate collection. 

Edit: Same goes for Collection itself. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EmblemJD
Just now, GrimReaper said:

Just replied to your previous post. No, not new. And no, it doesn't actually delete files, just removes the item from appropriate collection. 

Okay awesome! Then it works fine for me as it is lol, sorry for the confusion :) Thanks @GrimReaper👍

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Buku.lawas
On 1/14/2022 at 4:07 AM, Happy2Play said:

If the Library is empty, then you can sort of hack the library to remove it.

Shut down Emby "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\root\default\Collections" path will be platform dependent

delete the options.xml or the entire Collection folder

Restart Emby, go to Setting-Library, now the Collection library should be Mixed Content type and have the option to Delete/Remove the library.

Assuming no collections exist, the library will not regenerate.

I use the compressed EMBY Server, extracted to C:\EMBYSERVER, and run it. In my case the path forementioned above is "C:\ProgramData\root\default\Collections", just in case anyone cannot find it under "C:\Users\...."

• 2 months later...
lu270bro

Shut emby down.  Deleted collections folder in c/users/programdata/.... folder.  Looked for any other instances of "collections" type stuff, none found. 

Why on gods green earth is collections still showing in my server config library?  why is this not a specific "opt-in" option during initial emby config vs the user having to make sure that its not checked PER LIBRARY folder?  I have not enabled collections for any of my media.  at all.  none.  never.    but yet all the sudden i see a collections folder in my TV app UI and my mobile app UI.  Why in the world is this even an option?   I understand that some folks would like this, but why, as a previous poster stated, is this buried so deep that it makes it nearly impossible to remove?  i dont understand this.

Happy2Play
48 minutes ago, lu270bro said:

Shut emby down.  Deleted collections folder in c/users/programdata/.... folder.  Looked for any other instances of "collections" type stuff, none found. 

Why on gods green earth is collections still showing in my server config library?  why is this not a specific "opt-in" option during initial emby config vs the user having to make sure that its not checked PER LIBRARY folder?  I have not enabled collections for any of my media.  at all.  none.  never.    but yet all the sudden i see a collections folder in my TV app UI and my mobile app UI.  Why in the world is this even an option?   I understand that some folks would like this, but why, as a previous poster stated, is this buried so deep that it makes it nearly impossible to remove?  i dont understand this.

You can't delete collections that way as they are created from item metadata ie the <set> node.  Do you write nfo files?  Did Emby create your metadata?

Is the library option enabled?

image.png.03ae2b64757a70ec93ec1430651e61ee.png

Either way the item metadata has to be cleared in order to stop Collections.  Easiest way is go to Collections Library and multi-select all Collections and Delete to clear all item metadata creating the Collections in the first place.  As Collections are a "opt-in" option per metadata.

So is this Emby only metadata or third party provider metadata?